No Free Agency again

blueblood70

Reaction score
It was only going to be guys like Anthony Barr and Christian Covington type of guys.

This just means we arent signing anybody you have heard of or relevant in 3+ years
why does this matter to a lot of you how the roster built as long as they get a competitive team together,

you're trying to tell me that guys like hankins and some of the undrafted free agents brought we brought in like, I don't know was it Bass and then trades offset this free agency IMHO

I count that as "free agency" they literally filled holes with Gilmore and cooks trades...

There were others, I mean they've gone out and got guys that can fill holes on this team regardless of how you feel about free agency,

most of the big name free agents do not work out IE do not produce what their new contracts say they should...

so, it's always a risk on both ends,

yes, would I like them to do more in free agency yes but somehow you call these guys clowns you're saying they don't sign enough people but somehow we've won 36 games, two division titles, and been to the playoffs three straight years; this is all in a three-year period.

Apparently, the way this place responds you think we were a four win team,

like we were doing nothing at all, if you add in the way we draft ,to filling our free agent needs with yes more role players than impact guys, making a few trades, adding UDFAs, like we did last year to get quality guys these dudes played the entire year in signing our own guys when they come up as free agents, it is part of free agency sometimes... you have to sign your own guys because you draft so well it doesn't leave a lot of money to go take high risk with cap,

again signing a big name doesn't mean they're going to workout, we've seen it fail you remember the dream team that happens more often than you think just because they're a name doesn't mean they're going to come over and do well.

that's why I'm really sick of hearing about OBJ and still there's people clamoring for a guy like Von Miller, that would have been a big mistake both times. we sure are glad early Thomas, berry and Jamal adams weren't signed BUT they were once coveted by this overrated fake gM crop of FANS.. there's more names im forgetting...

the only free agent that we passed up on that people talked about that was an absolute miss was Bobby Wagner, when he went to the Rams but he was not available to us last year when he went back to Seattle and he may fully retire and he won't be available this year but out of all the names ever mentioned that this place about bringing him over he's the only misstep that I wish they would have made, I did not realize he had that much tread left on him...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess today.

1. | Restructured Trevon Diggs
    (Saved: $8,073.647)
  2. Restructured Michael Gallup
    (Saved: $5.916.667)
  3. Restructured Terence Steele
    (Saved: $5,706,000)
  4. | Restructured Donovan Wilson
    (Saved: $2 408.075)
  5. Restructured Malik Hooker
    (Saved: $651.963)
  6. Released Leighton Vander Esch
    (Saved: $2. 147 055)
    Released Chauncey Golston
    Saved: $1 330 444)
let me check my sources!! hmmm

Chasing6

Reaction score
I guess today.

1. | Restructured Trevon Diggs
    (Saved: $8,073.647)
  2. Restructured Michael Gallup
    (Saved: $5.916.667)
  3. Restructured Terence Steele
    (Saved: $5,706,000)
  4. | Restructured Donovan Wilson
    (Saved: $2 408.075)
  5. Restructured Malik Hooker
    (Saved: $651.963)
  6. Released Leighton Vander Esch
    (Saved: $2. 147 055)
    Released Chauncey Golston
    Saved: $1 330 444)
This was sent to me, so disregard. I can't confirm any of it.

Had me a little excited for a minute.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No one in the sports media is factually reliable.
Well I heard the interview they were talking about and Stephen Jones did say that he feels Jerry Jones goes all in yearly that winning is important to them every year,

hes trying not to emphasize this year being that much different but that doesn't mean they're not going to bring in any big names or maybe pick take a little risk and maybe make some trades up in the draft..

as usual people are overreacting but he did say that he feels like they're all in every year and don't want to take away from acting like they weren't trying in years past but that could just be a smoke screen because they didn't winna admit maybe they made mistakes in the past but that doesn't mean they're not going to do more this year people took this out of context if they use some perspective and listen between the lines that's why he said what he said...

Sandyf

Reaction score
Decided to actually read the NFL rules as it pertains to what clubs can and cannot do prior to March 11th. So here goes.

They can cut players and they can designate players as post June 1st cuts. Once the NFL decides on dates to start the tags, they also can do that up to March 13th.

They can resign their own free agents or extend roster players. This means they can talk to the agents for their own free agents and the agents to extend current roster players not going to be free agents. Most all the agents have clients that are going to be on other teams and although the club is not to speak to those agents about their other clients, you can bet they all do it. Is it made public? Absolutely not because if they do then they stand to be fined and recently lose draft picks.

So the only things about free agents not our own will not happen until March 11th at the earliest. The same goes for any trades that might be agreed on.

There is no reason, other than to get under the cap, to extend or restructure any contracts until you absolutely have to in order to sign a guy.

For the Cowboys to get under the cap, all they have to do is to convert Dak's 2024 base salary which is $29 million into a signing bonus and spread over 3 years but would lower his cap number to around $10 million. The conversion would lower his salary to roughly $1.5 million, then add in the bonus of one third so you get roughly $10 million. We are currently $3 million over the cap, so we would go to $17 million under the cap without doing anything else. The total cap hit for 2024 would be around $42 million instead of $59 million.

Dak does not have to agree to convert of his salary as it is already in his contract that the Cowboys can automatically do it. Most contracts now a days have that clause in it for all teams.

Now for the Jerry's all in statement, well until I see Jerry actually sign some make a difference free agents, then I just do not believe him. If we are to be better next year then staying with the guys we have on defense means losing to any team with a good running game of which I see 10 teams we face we a decent running game.

I hope we do resign some of our guys and hope Jerry does sign at least 3 guys Zimmer wants so we can legit stop the run. Right now it is only hope and a lot of distrust as to what we will do.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Oh, and one other thing to chew on. We could restructure Dak's contract and not extend him so then he would be a total free agent in 2025 but knowing the luck of Jerry and Stephen, Dak would have a better year than last year and the defense would be better all around especially at run stopping, then the Boys not only make the NFC Championship game but also the Super Bowl only to lose to Kansas City. So then they want to work out a new contract with Dak which with the salary cap rising probably $20 to $30 million next year will be a starting point of $70 to $75 million a year average for Dak instead of some $56 to $62 million average per year this year.

Damn if you do , damn if you don't.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yeah, you guys thought Jerry was serious about going all in. LMAO. He was just pumping you up so you would come back and buy more crap. "get your gear so you too look like a horse's asp and don't forget the tickets."
Did you buy your gear yet? You could use an update on your number 4 jersey. The one in your avatar looks a bit worn from the tears.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, and one other thing to chew on. We could restructure Dak's contract and not extend him so then he would be a total free agent in 2025 but knowing the luck of Jerry and Stephen, Dak would have a better year than last year and the defense would be better all around especially at run stopping, then the Boys not only make the NFC Championship game but also the Super Bowl only to lose to Kansas City. So then they want to work out a new contract with Dak which with the salary cap rising probably $20 to $30 million next year will be a starting point of $70 to $75 million a year average for Dak instead of some $56 to $62 million average per year this year.

Damn if you do , damn if you don't.
I keep saying that, Dak will have 8,330 Yards, 392 touchdowns, and 2 INT's in his last year

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
No one in the sports media is factually reliable.
Oh please. It’s up to the reader/listener/viewer to ascertain what’s real and what’s conjecture and if you’ve followed a team enough you know who to listen to that’s worth a salt and those who just try throw things out there. While social media and a click bait society has killed a large majority legit journalism and reporting there are still many who do a good job. Sad you can’t tell who is who.

Of course if the narrative is something one chooses not to believe because they don’t like it’s tone or nature then that’s an individual choice.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Was listening to 105.3n and they were talking about how Dallas has not met with any agents for the free agents to be. I think our definition of "all in" is very different than the Jones Clowns.
no all in means I am selling tickets. marketing. all in means I will sign some big name to excite the fan base and fill the seats. then let the fell good story spin begin.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well I heard the interview they were talking about and Stephen Jones did say that he feels Jerry Jones goes all in yearly that winning is important to them every year,

hes trying not to emphasize this year being that much different but that doesn't mean they're not going to bring in any big names or maybe pick take a little risk and maybe make some trades up in the draft..

as usual people are overreacting but he did say that he feels like they're all in every year and don't want to take away from acting like they weren't trying in years past but that could just be a smoke screen because they didn't winna admit maybe they made mistakes in the past but that doesn't mean they're not going to do more this year people took this out of context if they use some perspective and listen between the lines that's why he said what he said...
I was just reacting to the ridiculous title of the thread.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
If you expect this team to go any farther next year, you're kidding yourself. The ownership is not interested in anything other than generating revenue not championships.