No Free Agency again

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This was sent to me, so disregard. I can't confirm any of it.

Had me a little excited for a minute.
Still not enough cap to do anything.

They also need keep at least 20 to have any room during the season.

Waiting on the cuts/restructures this/next week.

Will be interesting to see how they get out of this mess.

And the Dak problem will set the forum on fire soon.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have to know we need more than the draft. I'm not suggesting sign at all costs, but they have to know a piece or two is necessary.
Parsons told Jerry what we needed. His list included more than draft picks.

Reactions: CWR

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Seriously folks, why do you get suckered into believing that they were going to do anything in free agency? This team has it's own players to pay starting with Ceedee and Micah. If we do anything in free agency it will be to get some dude coming off a bad injury that we take a shot at.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Jerry thought he could make that statement and we would all forget about what happened in 2023 by the time free agency rolls around. Boy is he wrong. If we go business as usual in 2024 my view of the 2024 season will be prepare for a mediocre season. 9-8 here we come. There is no chance I am enthusiastic about 2024.

Sydla

Reaction score
The fact you are shocked means you almost bought it.
Hahaha.

But in fairness, even the most hardened, cynical fans like myself buy in, even for a few seconds, that maybe it will be different.

Reality always smacks us right in the face.

Sydla

Reaction score
I hope so.
The only issue here is that I think there have been past offseasons where they also could have been more active in FA because they needed to be and they just weren't.

I've reached the point that if Jerry says they are going to be more active, I just ignore it. It's see it to believe it at this point. But like you, I hope for some more juice in FA this year. And I don't need big time signings. So I don't need them to go chase Queen at LB or Jones at DT but please, be active in those mid-tiers with guys like Jewell, etc.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
By noon March 11th there will be more than enough to do what they want. This has been well documented.
Nothing official from Dallas.

We've all speculated on who gets cut/restructured.

They are 9 million over.

Throw in 20 million for a buffer, that leaves 29 million they need to cut.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I love how Cheapskate Stephen has convinced some fans that signing your own players is "Cowboys being involved in Free Agency"

While keeping your premium players is essential, it is not roster improvement, it is simply maintaining talent.

Shannon1

Reaction score
Nothing official from Dallas.

We've all speculated on who gets cut/restructured.

They are 9 million over.

Throw in 20 million for a buffer, that leaves 29 million they need to cut.
Some sites have us 3 million over

conner01

Reaction score
Was listening to 105.3n and they were talking about how Dallas has not met with any agents for the free agents to be. I think our definition of "all in" is very different than the Jones Clowns.
I agree the idea of going out and signing 5-6 high dollar FA is a pipe dream. But I also think the fact they haven’t been jumping first in line to sign guys doesn’t mean much either. We aren’t signing a FA WR, QB, or a few other spots. So no need to be talking to those agents. I do think we sign a vet RB, LB and CB. The CB will be the 3td CB so it’s not gonna be a high paid guy with Diggs on a second deal and bland coming up. I think their all in is more about 2-4 guys and maybe one or two that are comparable to a Gilmore or cooks type signing. To expect them to go out and sign a few of the top FA is unrealistic

conner01

Reaction score
It was only going to be guys like Anthony Barr and Christian Covington type of guys.

This just means we arent signing anybody you have heard of or relevant in 3+ years
I think more like Gilmore, cooks type guys. Vets who are gonna cost huge money but can have an impact

khiladi

Reaction score
Oh, and one other thing to chew on. We could restructure Dak's contract and not extend him so then he would be a total free agent in 2025 but knowing the luck of Jerry and Stephen, Dak would have a better year than last year and the defense would be better all around especially at run stopping, then the Boys not only make the NFC Championship game but also the Super Bowl only to lose to Kansas City. So then they want to work out a new contract with Dak which with the salary cap rising probably $20 to $30 million next year will be a starting point of $70 to $75 million a year average for Dak instead of some $56 to $62 million average per year this year.

Damn if you do , damn if you don't.
Uh, I’ll take restructure.. 99.9% of germs are killed…. That .1% has a better chance of surviving than Jerry having that sort of luck with Dak…

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Oh, and one other thing to chew on. We could restructure Dak's contract and not extend him so then he would be a total free agent in 2025 but knowing the luck of Jerry and Stephen, Dak would have a better year than last year and the defense would be better all around especially at run stopping, then the Boys not only make the NFC Championship game but also the Super Bowl only to lose to Kansas City. So then they want to work out a new contract with Dak which with the salary cap rising probably $20 to $30 million next year will be a starting point of $70 to $75 million a year average for Dak instead of some $56 to $62 million average per year this year.

Damn if you do , damn if you don't.
That just kicks the can to 2025+

Then our cap is even more jacked.

Dudes with big cap hits are gonna get cut.

Dlaw, Cooks, Gallup

Sydla

Reaction score
I love how Cheapskate Stephen has convinced some fans that signing your own players is "Cowboys being involved in Free Agency"

While keeping your premium players is essential, it is not roster improvement, it is simply maintaining talent.
They have mastered the whole oversell/under perform thing.

It should surprise no one that Jerry says one thing and the team ends up doing the exact opposite. So I suspect we won't be all that active in FA at all despite Jerry's "all in" BS. I mean when we got blown out by the Pack in the playoffs, he talked a few days later about accountability and then literally did nothing. No coaches were fired, the only coaching spots changed were because guys bailed on him. The QB is coming back. They aren't making any drastic roster changes it appears. So there was actually no accountability at all.

This franchise is a straight up joke at times.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they should know who to keep and the cost to do so by now. ballpark anyway.

now who else do we need?

isn't it against the rules to talk before FA begins?
Yes, no contact with players or agents until the 2 or 3 day window before FA actually begins.

I am sure they have their film and internal discussions and ballpark figures in mind.

Even though some fans feel they are just sitting around drinking JWB and smoking cigars.