Twitter: No optimism for a Wilson extension

John813

Reaction score
I think Juanyeh Thomas could grow into that box safety that can be a good run defender. Don't think he'll have that same hard hitting ability Wilson had but he can throw some hard hits(from watching him at GT)

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this is what happens to the cowboys drafting well most of the good players they draft they let go to other teams they just dont take advantage of what is handed to them and win when they should

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Good. We can’t afford what DW will want and LVE’s price will probably come down.
Ah, yes, already seeing the "Good! We can't afford him!! Don't need him!" posts starting to trickle in. This is why we never win anything of importance. We will let a guy like Wilson go...a true enforcer, a true leader, and a guy who keeps your head on a swivel, but make sure we secure LVE for another year and hope he stays healthy, right? And by the way, we CAN afford to keep Wilson. But why do that when I'm sure we can find a bargain bin replacement?

quickccc

Reaction score
When it comes to homegrown talent that’s thrown out the window. They want Wilson. They like Schultz too but I think they like their backups too.
yes they like Wilson .. but at their own Stephen Jones Moneyball bargain price ... if they thought he was a core franchise player like Parsons and Diggs that would be totally
different priority.

but they believe they can replace Wilson with the Kearse, Izzy and Bell, that's what they would plan to do ...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There is a difference between “wanting him to go” and “deciding he is not worth the cap hit to keep him”. Most are in camp #2.
Exactly!!

I would love to keep Wilson, but what if he wants top 5 money?

I probably let him walk in that case and it seems the Cowboys have come to the same conclusion.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The tag for a safety is around 14 mil… I would much rather pay that than tag an injured RB at 10 mil. 4 mil difference is peanuts. Tag Wilson, and draft a S to backfill for 2024 or 2025 if you can’t figure out a deal.

I love Tony, and hope we can figure out a fair deal, but let’s face it:

1. We don’t know the effect of his injury
2. RBs are readily available in the draft
3. We have neglected the S position for years and finally have decent S play the last 2 years, and the D finishes in the top 5: coincidence?
You make some really good points my friend, but here is the problem...........Pollard and Lamb are really the only threats we have on offense.

When Pollard went down SF double teamed Lamb and our offense went into the crapper and we scored 12 pts for the game.

That is why they cant let Pollard walk and they put the tag on him. Until the Cowboys add more "juice" on offense (like a 1st round WR or a vet WR via trade), Pollard and Lamb are the offense.

Sucks for Wilson, but the fact the Cowboys screwed up the WR position last year (as they admitted to at the combine) is the reason they have to keep Pollard instead of Wilson via the tag.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You make some really good points my friend, but here is the problem...........Pollard and Lamb are really the only threats we have on offense.

When Pollard went down SF double teamed Lamb and our offense went into the crapper and we scored 12 pts for the game.

That is why they cant let Pollard walk and they put the tag on him. Until the Cowboys add more "juice" on offense (like a 1st round WR or a vet WR via trade), Pollard and Lamb are the offense.

Sucks for Wilson, but the fact the Cowboys screwed up the WR position last year (as they admitted to at the combine) is the reason they have to keep Pollard instead of Wilson via the tag.
I hear you. And they absolutely screwed up the WR position last year. NONE of their plans worked when it came to that position group.

However, you don’t fix a wrong decision by making another one. Tag Wilson, sign Pollard to a 3 year deal that cuts the team a break in year one since he is coming off the injury, and go big in the draft on explosive skill position players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
yes they like Wilson .. but at their own Stephen Jones Moneyball bargain price ... if they thought he was a core franchise player like Parsons and Diggs that would be totally
different priority.

but they believe they can replace Wilson with the Kearse, Izzy and Bell, that's what they would plan to do ...
I mean that’s the most logical thing to do.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the agents are just playing hard ball b/c they want to test the market.

McMicah

Reaction score
People acting like losing Wilson is ok are gonna be sad next year when they remember he was better at tackling than most of our linebackers

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There is something like $330m in free capspace this offseason. These guys effectively get one chance to make bank in their entire lifetime and now is it. If I was in their shoes, I certainly would want to hit free agency.

Hate to see Wilson go but that's reality and LVE had a nice year last year too.

Dallas has a ridiculous number of holes to fill. Even if they hit it out of the park with the draft, they will still need to dumpster dive for vet min players to fill out their roster and those guys will be regular players.

Carson

Reaction score
There is something like $330m in free capspace this offseason. These guys effectively get one chance to make bank in their entire lifetime and now is it. If I was in their shoes, I certainly would want to hit free agency.

Hate to see Wilson go but that's reality and LVE had a nice year last year too.

Dallas has a ridiculous number of holes to fill. Even if they hit it out of the park with the draft, they will still need to dumpster dive for vet min players to fill out their roster and those guys will be regular players.
I don’t think the holes are too many to fill.

LG, WR 2 or 3 (depending who you ask), 1T, MLB, CB, K