Twitter: No optimism for a Wilson extension

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
LVE can take a hike if he wants anything more than another one year contract at bare minimum. DW is good, but appears timing ain't right for him... Dallas has abundance at safety and they never have made it a high dollar position. I don't mind churning this roster from players who can be replaced.....looking at you Zeke, Schultz. The team hasn't won a dammmm thing so nothing special.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dude was an enforcer this year.

Wilson is a big loss imo.
He was but he had a lot of tackles because dline wasn’t doing their job. Not worth paying 15 million to resign him when we have viable replacements.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
LVE is replaceable, and DW can be replaced with current depth.
Idk bout that. Lve proved how much he's improved and how important he was when he got hurt. I'd pick lve over Wilson allday. When Wilson got hurt they just kept moving along

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LVE is replaceable, and DW can be replaced with current depth.
No way are you replacing Wilson with the current depth. He’s one of the better safeties the Cowboys have had in years. He would be a huge loss. As for LVE he played very well this past season and was missed during his injury. It’s not going to be easy improving on him or replacing him with someone of equal ability. Some of you think everyone can be replaced. We can’t afford to downgrade at either one of those positions.

Flamma

Reaction score
The problem is the salary cap in relation to your own drafted guys. You should be able to keep them and it not go against the cap in some way.
This is an excellent idea, and it has been brought up multiple times in various forms. Just one problem remains. It would cost the owners more. It would never pass. The salary cap. The one that Jerry emphatically fought for it to be a hard cap, is a percentage the league shares with the players. What you suggest allows owners to voluntarily go over that amount. Many would be expected to do so or face intense criticism.

Don't expect any changes like that when the league is making a ton of money. They won't fix anything that's broken unless it shows up in the revenue stream. Think MLB. They needed to do something.

Verdict

Reaction score
The point is resigning LVE is that 1. you don't have to spend bigger money on a FA to replace him or 2. spend a draft pick on replacing him.

There are more important positions the Cowboys need to spend their FA money and draft picks on.

So yes he is replaceable, but it's smarter to re-sign him.
Yes, but it depends on the money and cap hit.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If he leaves, we may end up with a comp pick for him. That would be fabulous.
That is the Cowboys way. But when he signs with the Eagles or the Giants and is lighting people up, and we use the 4th round comp pick on a developmental WR that doesn’t see the field— we will regret not resigning Dono.

Verdict

Reaction score
That is the Cowboys way. But when he signs with the Eagles or the Giants and is lighting people up, and we use the 4th round comp pick on a developmental WR that doesn’t see the field— we will regret not resigning Dono.
There is a difference between “wanting him to go” and “deciding he is not worth the cap hit to keep him”. Most are in camp #2.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Wilson has a burst not many have. Not sure he's gonna get top $ and if he could be retained for 6-10 million a year you gotta get it done.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
There is a difference between “wanting him to go” and “deciding he is not worth the cap hit to keep him”. Most are in camp #2.
Yah… I am camp #3:

We have a FO that spends less on players that almost any other team in the league. They talk about “homegrown” talent and signing their own guys— but then they overpay the wrong players, hold onto players long after they should, and then chalk it all up to “we have to pay Dak and are up against the cap”.

Meanwhile other teams manipulate the hell out of the cap and have no problem adding talent year in and year out. Philly’s FO is running laps around ours— and yet Wilson gets criminally undervalued by our GM and Goofson because “safeties don’t matter” and they are too lazy and cheap to effectively build a competent roster.

There is a deal for Wilson that would be a win/win — but this FO is too uncreative to figure it out. They have already moved on from him.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Quinn knows if he needs him or not. Also knows if he can put another safety in a similar position to make plays.

I really like Donovan Wilson and his physical game. The guy plays with intensity and makes big plays. I would really like to keep him. He's my favorite safety on this team.
But, if we have to pay him like a #1 CB instead of getting another #1 CB. No dice.

But if you lose him for that reason? Better get that #1 CB or it's double the loss.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Idk bout that. Lve proved how much he's improved and how important he was when he got hurt. I'd pick lve over Wilson allday. When Wilson got hurt they just kept moving along
They kept moving along because we don't have competent linebackers on the team including Micah who is overrated as a linebacker and needs to get better. If we had a Kearse and Hooker at lb we'd move right along as well.

Just strictly as players, Wilson is a flat out better football player than LVE.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Quinn knows if he needs him or not. Also knows if he can put another safety in a similar position to make plays.

I really like Donovan Wilson and his physical game. The guy plays with intensity and makes big plays. I would really like to keep him. He's my favorite safety on this team.
But, if we have to pay him like a #1 CB instead of getting another #1 CB. No dice.

But if you lose him for that reason? Better get that #1 CB or it's double the loss.
The tag for a safety is around 14 mil… I would much rather pay that than tag an injured RB at 10 mil. 4 mil difference is peanuts. Tag Wilson, and draft a S to backfill for 2024 or 2025 if you can’t figure out a deal.

I love Tony, and hope we can figure out a fair deal, but let’s face it:

1. We don’t know the effect of his injury
2. RBs are readily available in the draft
3. We have neglected the S position for years and finally have decent S play the last 2 years, and the D finishes in the top 5: coincidence?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They kept moving along because we don't have competent linebackers on the team including Micah who is overrated as a linebacker and needs to get better. If we had a Kearse and Hooker at lb we'd move right along as well.

Just strictly as players, Wilson is a flat out better football player than LVE.
:muttley:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You can’t afford guys like Wilson when you have a top paid QB. I like Wilson a lot and he added some pop to the back end of the defense but he isn’t a game changing playmaker so you can’t pay him top money. You have to look for a younger guy on the roster to step up or get a cheap veteran near the start of camp. There are 31 other teams and it only takes one of them to make your free agents unaffordable. Unfortunately Wilson will likely be in that position.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Man, they need to bring back LVE. Not sure what the details are, but I'd try to get him signed.

If not, then I'm looking at Jack Campbell. Probably not as fast as LVE, but he's got the highest floor of any LB in this draft, imo.