No running game

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy is a pass happy OC, so thinking he's going to run the football more than he passes isn't happening. Also, I think the run game is where the OC wants because he's not really trying to improve it, imho.
You take what the defense gives you.....it's not that hard to understand....actually, it is. Many around here won't get it. They want a beauty contest. Damn.....why even bother wasting my breath. I'll see all the negative nancies on Thursday..I know they'll be there looking for things to complain about.

links18

Reaction score
Right, we’re on a roll against teams that aren’t going to make the playoffs, but good luck, convincing some here that the Cowboys can be beaten. We’re feasting on bad teams.
Look at our schedule to end the season. It's brutal.

BHendri5

Reaction score
We are on a roll! We're winning games and it doesn't matter if a team is winless or undefeated " to quote Herm Edwards " You Play to win the game!" no matter who the team is or how their season is going. We're going to win and lose games, the first goal is to win each game if possible, then win ther Division, then win the conference then win the SB, if that doesn't happen then we go back to the drawing board. But win as many games as possible in the regular season to put yourself into the playoffs then anything goes.

I don't care if we're playing a peewee team I rather have a winning season all regular season than be miserable 18 weeks, so I'm sorry if I am happy about each and every win, and upset with the losses but quickly get over those and move on to the next game, it happens, it's the NFL.
We have a running game! It may not be as dynamic as it was in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and Zeke's early years, but we have a running game and it can be better with a healthy better OL that has gelled and the chemistry is there, but we do not have a dynamic RB, Pollard is and never was a dynamic RB, he is truly a number 2 change of pace RB both he and Dowdle, and in this West/Texas coast offense of Big Mike's the running game is doing just fine. Whenever we have very good or great running game day it will be because the OL is working good or great opening holes and protecting the QB, also it will mean that the passing game has opened the running lanes

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, the complaint here is that DAL isn't winning "pretty" enough?

They won by 23 on the road after getting off to a sluggish start.

Swear to God, I've never seen a fan base so unhappy with a three/four-score win.
The offense felt out of sync off and on today. There were times the RB didn't have anywhere to go and got hit at the LOS. Just a continuation of the entire season. It doesn't seem to be getting better either.

Fans are happy about the win. But the way the team played for most of the game won't win in January. That's what they are unhappy about. There are Giants or Panthers on the schedule then. And they can't count on TD's via penalty's or pick 6's like today.

When the run game doesn't work against better opponents then it's up to Dak to win the game. We've all seen that movie before.

Mark

Reaction score
McCarthy is a pass happy OC, so thinking he's going to run the football more than he passes isn't happening. Also, I think the run game is where the OC wants because he's not really trying to improve it, imho.
Actually, McCarthy is just the opposite. He stated at season's outset that he wanted to focus on running the ball. But, you take a team as you find it, and this one is not really built that way in the personnel department.

Havic

Reaction score
He is pass happy because we cant run. Run blocking scheme is piss poor.

GINeric

Reaction score
Everyone thinks we are on a roll and we're not. Beating bad teams by throwing all day long. Wait till we play a real team and everyone will see our running game sucks and we'll lose..the end
Last I checked, every team in the NFL are real teams. They all are grown men, they all are flesh and blood, and they all are the highest paid professional football players in the world.

With that said, our LACK of a running game will come back to bite us in the playoffs due to either bad/ colder weather and higher intensity in play. Receivers don't run as crisp routes in cold or inclement weather as normal and (most) quarterbacks don't throw with the same touch and precision in colder weather as they normally do in the fall.

The sad thing is if we become one dimensional due to the lack of a running game and don't succeed, there will be blame on one man, no matter if he's at fault or not. Last time I checked, that one man doesn't draft or hire offensive linemen and running backs.

Yet he'll still get the blame for others being unsuccessful at THEIR positional jobs.

75boyz

Reaction score
It's truly pathetic. The Schottenheimer hire, whose primary claim to fame is as a running game OC has done nothing. Solari, another of supposed respectability as OL coach of different run schemes again...has yielded NOTHING.

Top it all off with a HC who made the not so famous "Run the damn ball and rest the defense" quote has done anything but that.

I mean, can you imagine if any one of these 3 coaching geniuses could come up with a halfway effective run scheme?
Get that weird complimentary team element called balance on offense?

Yeah, me neither.
Hope we do a little better with running the football against the better teams coming up on the schedule.

If not, it's most likely a Same Ol' Cowboys division loss playoff kinda ceiling again.

Sad but true.

rambo2

Reaction score
It's truly pathetic. The Schottenheimer hire, whose primary claim to fame is as a running game OC has done nothing. Solari, another of supposed respectability as OL coach of different run schemes again...has yielded NOTHING.

Top it all off with a HC who made the not so famous "Run the damn ball and rest the defense" quote has done anything but that.

I mean, can you imagine if any one of these 3 coaching geniuses could come up with a halfway effective run scheme?
Get that weird complimentary team element called balance on offense?

Yeah, me neither.
Hope we do a little better with running the football against the better teams coming up on the schedule.

If not, it's most likely a Same Ol' Cowboys division loss playoff kinda ceiling again.

Sad but true.
Lol