Video: Noah Brown Blocking Video

ItzKelz

Reaction score
That’s not how it works.

And if he makes the roster, it will be because he does give them more while blocking and on Teams than the guys he’s competing against because that actually is more valuable than what another player might give in a replacement situation on offense.
That is exactly how it works. That far down the roster you must be able to provide something on ST. Has been this way for decades. If you can and you are actually good at your position; in this case WR, you have an advantage.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
As the video on the original post clearly points out, as a WR he is currently drawing a DB. If we made him a TE, that could lead to an extra LB replacing a DB when he's on the field. That might limit his effectiveness as a run blocker.
It might not, but thanks for pointing that out. Regardless, I still think he would make a good TE because of his blocking abilities and his size.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If you have a WR that can contribute on ST and also be a contributor as an actual WR then you select him over Noah. No different at the 3rd RB spot....yes Smith was a beast on ST but that did not trump the ability to actually provide something at the position he is playing....so we found a RB that could offer something on ST and at the RB position.
You are ignoring that Brown does contribute as the team's best blocking WR. The WR would have to be a potential improvement on ST and/or potential stud WR down the line to want to part with a know contributor. My expectations for the undrafted guys aren't that high on either front.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I've tried about a dozen video editing programs including OBS. I'm still not completely satisfied with any of them. I would like to draw on the screen also but that's awkward with most. All the ones I've tried have audio track capability.

I would record the original video, open it in something like VLC or whatever media player you use, and use screen annotation software and whatever video recording software you like to narrate and annotate.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/windowsreport.com/screen-annotation-software/?amp

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would record the original video, open it in something like VLC or whatever media player you use, and use screen annotation software and whatever video recording software you like to narrate and annotate.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/windowsreport.com/screen-annotation-software/?amp

Thanks, I'll check those out.

This one was done with VSDC which is free.

It's better than some that are not free.

There's another program that has nice drawing tools but only in screen capture mode. The drawing tools are not available in editing mode.

The Adobe type tools are $20 to $60 per month which seems excessive for what I need.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is exactly how it works. That far down the roster you must be able to provide something on ST. Has been this way for decades. If you can and you are actually good at your position; in this case WR, you have an advantage.

Ok then. Since you just switched your argument over to mine we can agree now we’re both right.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You are ignoring that Brown does contribute as the team's best blocking WR. The WR would have to be a potential improvement on ST and/or potential stud WR down the line to want to part with a know contributor. My expectations for the undrafted guys aren't that high on either front.
Ive said that blocking is his best attribute; then ST. Again if you have a WR that can actually be skilled enough to contribute as an actual WR....along with ST....you have to choose him over Noah.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Zeke is still running on this play. Can't really fault Brown for the talent level of the RB. It was an excellent block. Just too much talent at WR for Noah to make the squad IMO.
well, it depends on how you think about the group and if you think you can stash them in PS....how much playing time will the 5th and 6th guys get if they have similar skills to the top 3, 4.....with 5th and 6th guys you want something that differentiates them...not just a copy and perhaps NOAH can do that. he is the best blocker of the bunch and I have argued that if used right, he can create mismatches and make a few plays.....I know Moore is high on a lot of movement before the snap to create mismatches and similar to the play above, if Brown is matched up against a safety or CB, that's easy blocking, if they instead match up against a LB, then you send him in routes..... if he makes 20-30 plays during the year then you got a lot from your 6th WR on the roster.

so looking at our WR group. cooper and gallup are both young. Cobb is older but mostly a slot WR, although more flexible than Beasley and goes out wide. we need to figure out which one of the young ones can be future slot WR. also who are backing up Cooper and Gallup. to me that's the 4th and 5th guy. 6th guy has to be good special teamer and some differentiating skill that I can use during the year.....to me that's Brown.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Ive said that blocking is his best attribute; then ST. Again if you have a WR that can actually be skilled enough to contribute as an actual WR....along with ST....you have to choose him over Noah.
I argue that blocking is an attribute an "actual WR" needs to have. He is an actual WR.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I argue that blocking is an attribute an "actual WR" needs to have. He is an actual WR.
Noah is one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL. However, that doesnt mean that other WRs that he is competing with cannot block at all. If what they contribute in route running, separation and catching is obviously better than Noah along with ST contribution.....bye bye Noah.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Noah is one of the best blocking WRs in the NFL. However, that doesnt mean that other WRs that he is competing with cannot block at all. If what they contribute in route running, separation and catching is obviously better than Noah along with ST contribution.....bye bye Noah.

One, your argument that they're better WRs isn't necessarily accurate, though for a few of them it probably is. But more importantly, no. If the player is primarily going to be blocking and playing special teams snaps, you keep the best blocking and ST player. You don't downgrade those snaps you know you're going to use him for in order to get a marginal improvement in depth on offense you're very likely to not need.

If you're ever down to needing your WR5/6, you've probably already found a better, more experienced receiving option as a long term placeholder from a veteran on the street anyway.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
One, your argument that they're better WRs isn't necessarily accurate, though for a few of them it probably is. But more importantly, no. If the player is primarily going to be blocking and playing special teams snaps, you keep the best blocking and ST player. You don't downgrade those snaps you know you're going to use him for in order to get a marginal improvement in depth on offense you're very likely to not need.

If you're ever down to needing your WR5/6, you've probably already found a better, more experienced receiving option as a long term placeholder from a veteran on the street anyway.
If it turns out to be accurate then you choose them over Noah....provided they can contribute in ST as well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see Austin and Hurns making the roster this season. If their contracts were an issue they would already have been disgarded.

Not really.

At this point it's free insurance.

It will cost 4M to keep Hurns.

That's not bad for a veteran WR if they "need" him.

If there are injuries to some core WRs before game 1, then Hurns is there and knows the offense.

If all of the core WRs stay healthy and some young WRs look good, then they won't "need" Hurns.

Austin costs less at 1.75M of which 500K is guaranteed.
That means the cost to keep him vs cut him is only 1.25M.
He is projected to be the Punt Returner which means they
would like to keep him regardless of his spot on the WR
depth chart.​

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you have a WR that can contribute on ST and also be a contributor as an actual WR then you select him over Noah. No different at the 3rd RB spot....yes Smith was a beast on ST but that did not trump the ability to actually provide something at the position he is playing....so we found a RB that could offer something on ST and at the RB position.
Last season when the moved Brown from IR to the 53 man roster after week 8, they cut WR Deonte Thompson.

Thompson was more accomplished as a receiver and he played as much as 55% of special teams snaps in some games.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it turns out to be accurate then you choose them over Noah....provided they can contribute in ST as well.

If you don't know what you're doing, then, yes, you take the second or third best option available for the snaps you're expecting him to actually play. That way he's ready for all those offensive snaps he's not going to take on gamedays. That makes sense.

The best argument for replacing Brown with a lesser ST player is if you you think the lesser player is actually really close to Brown on STs, is younger and will develop, and if you have control over him contractually longer. But that the bottom of the roster, those guys are just likely to have a paycheck and you're not really worried about losing them at the end of their deals. Really, they'll just go by which one fills the snaps that WR5/6 actually play the best.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If you don't know what you're doing, then, yes, you take the second or third best option available for the snaps you're expecting him to actually play. That way he's ready for all those offensive snaps he's not going to take on gamedays. That makes sense.

The best argument for replacing Brown with a lesser ST player is if you you think the lesser player is actually really close to Brown on STs, is younger and will develop, and if you have control over him contractually longer. But that the bottom of the roster, those guys are just likely to have a paycheck and you're not really worried about losing them at the end of their deals. Really, they'll just go by which one fills the snaps that WR5/6 actually play the best.
We let Smith go at RB for the same exact reason....Noah will be gone if someone else steps up. IMO of course.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Except that Brown isn't a WR, he's a teeny tiny blocking TE. Is he really a more useful blocker than our TEs?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We let Smith go at RB for the same exact reason....Noah will be gone if someone else steps up. IMO of course.

Except Smith had been in the league 4 years and had a vet minimum salary that was almost double what you'd pay a back roster rookie replacement, compared to Brown who's only been in the league two seasons so far. Smith is exactly the case I was talking about above where it makes sense to let him walk if you think you can find a comparable player. Though in this case, they actually invested a fairly significant pick at RB in the draft in order to upgrade that spot.

Brown can get beat out, like any other bottom-of-the-roster player. But it will be for a guy who gives you something comparable on ST and, secondarily, on offense and not in favor of a guy who runs 'better' routes or has better hands. It'll be because you can get a comparable player for the snaps he'll actually play, for cheaper, elsewhere.