Not Dez's fault but if you had eyes you already would have known

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, regardless if we won that game or not, we weren't making the Playoffs. Losing the Falcons game is what screwed our chances at making the post-season.
No, Seattle knocked us out of contention. If we won, it would have knocked them out. If it ended in a tie then Dallas, Seattle and the Lions would have been eliminated.

And you can't really JUST blame Dez. Dak was par at best and Elliott didn't break 100. The point is, instead of making the situation worse Dez should have acted like an 8 year vet, shut his face and helped to put more points up. We were winning going into the 3rd quarter! Why the hell was he crying? One of the "best athletes" we have on the team and he's squatting on the sideline with his head down? What? Other players are trying to talk him off the ledge, it was ridiculous.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
There's nothing to "Try". Even if we won that game, we needed to beat the Eagles the following week & for the Falcons to lose to get in. The Falcons ended up winning the following week, so beating the Seahawks would have meant nothing. We would have still been eliminated.
You posted it to sound like when the Cowboys lost to Falcons.

Losing to Seattle was the worst loss of the season. The Cowboys had a better team on the field with everything to play for, at home, and they lost a game against a team that could do nothing offense.

Oh, but it all worked out to be a wash in the end, so no worries....according to you.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Actually, I said poor management and coaching ruined his career. What do you think management does but put a staff and team around him? I have no idea what you're talking about not taking football seriously. He was an undrafted free agent who worked his way up to the top player position of the organization, unlike Garrett whose "success via nepotism" is obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Being paid well has nothing to do with success on the football field. Romo got paid for playing his position well. He can only do so much.

hey, just my opinion that he didn't take football seriously early in his career. As for being paid well, yes he was, as the top QB in the NFL for a while. Hey, most of the contracts I sign make me money too. I have no prob with making money whatsoever. Just saying there are far too many excuses used to explain away Romo's career or ruined career in your opinion. I'll stick to "Romo was paid well" for such a ruined career and the same management you blame for his ruination paid him. I'm thinking Romo is a huge JJ supporter. That must drive you nuts!

Last edited:

robjay04

Reaction score
How did Dak do in that game?

Oh right, he lost a game in which his defense only gave up 136 yards total.

Romo never played that poorly in win or go home games

Dez literally had the worse game I have ever seen from a receiver in that game. Drops, a fumble, tantrums on the sidelines. No non-QB should ever have that much of a negative impact on any game.

I don’t think I want Dez gone but let’s not pick sides here. Both Dak and Dez deserves blame, they both didn’t play well last season.

And not because I’m a Romo hater but because I enjoy truth, I feel the need to call you out on an untruth in your post.

2008 in a true win or go home game(we won we went to the playoffs and didn’t need help)Dallas lost 44-6 to Philly and Romo put up the following stats.

21 out of 39 for 183 yards and an interception. He also had two fumbles lost, one resulted in a TD return.

Shockingly close to Dak’s 21 out of 34 for 181 yards and two interceptions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dez mailed it in early on vs. Seattle. That is when I officially went from a optimistic supporter to being done with the frustration.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
No, Seattle knocked us out of contention. If we won, it would have knocked them out. If it ended in a tie then Dallas, Seattle and the Lions would have been eliminated.
If I recall correctly, going into the last 2 weeks of the season, the Cowboys had to Win out & needed a few teams to Lose Out. Falcons, Seahawks & Lions ( to be honest, I don't remember the other teams that needed to lose, so you may be right with the 2 listed ). I just remember us needing those 2 wins & for the Falcons to lose both of theirs, as they owned the tie-breaker over us. When they won their Week 17 game, it would have effectively eliminated us regardless if we won out. I remember not being thrilled that we lost that Seahawks game ( which eliminated us ) but when the Falcons won the following week, I thought "Well, even had we won last week, we still would have been eliminated this week".

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dez literally had the worse game I have ever seen from a receiver in that game. Drops, a fumble, tantrums on the sidelines. No non-QB should ever have that much of a negative impact on any game.

I don’t think I want Dez gone but let’s not pick sides here. Both Dak and Dez deserves blame, they both didn’t play well last season.

And not because I’m a Romo hater but because I enjoy truth, I feel the need to call you out on an untruth in your post.

2008 in a true win or go home game(we won we went to the playoffs and didn’t need help)Dallas lost 44-6 to Philly and Romo put up the following stats.

21 out of 39 for 183 yards and an interception. He also had two fumbles lost, one resulted in a TD return.

Shockingly close to Dak’s 21 out of 34 for 181 yards and two interceptions.
Did TO throw in the towel?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, going into the last 2 weeks of the season, the Cowboys had to Win out & needed a few teams to Lose Out. Falcons, Seahawks & Lions ( to be honest, I don't remember the other teams that needed to lose, so you may be right with the 2 listed ). I just remember us needing those 2 wins & for the Falcons to lose both of theirs, as they owned the tie-breaker over us. When they won their Week 17 game, it would have effectively eliminated us regardless if we won out. I remember not being thrilled that we lost that Seahawks game ( which eliminated us ) but when the Falcons won the following week, I thought "Well, even had we won last week, we still would have been eliminated this week".
Thats
Not
The
Point

Ultra Warrior

Reaction score
You posted it to sound like when the Cowboys lost to Falcons.

Losing to Seattle was the worst loss of the season. The Cowboys had a better team on the field with everything to play for, at home, and they lost a game against a team that could do nothing offense.

Oh, but it all worked out to be a wash in the end, so no worries....according to you.
I said that the Falcons game was the bigger loss ( when we played them ) because it gave them the tie-breaker over us. Had we won that game, we would have been in the drivers seat to make the Playoffs. When we lost, we were no longer in that spot & needed to Win Out & needed others to lose for us to get in, instead of just winning out & we'd make it in.
Now I'll agree with you that we had no business losing to the Seahawks & we SHOULD have had the BETTER team that day but sadly, it was not to be, for a number of reasons.
As I said, we still needed the Falcons to lose the following week if we won out to make the post-season. They didn't & we didn't, so our fate was still to not make the playoffs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dez vs. Seattle (2017) - 43 Yards
TO vs. Philly (2008) - 103

Same production from both QBs.

Ultra Warrior

Reaction score
Thats
Not
The
Point
If the point is on Dak/Dez play, that's a POINT that I was never trying to make in the first place. Just on how important that game was for us in the long run to make the post-season. YOU can debate that other stuff.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If the point is on Dak/Dez play, that's a POINT that I was never trying to make in the first place. Just on how important that game was for us in the long run to make the post-season. YOU can debate that other stuff.
When did we know Atlanta won, before or after the Seattle/Dallas game?

Ultra Warrior

Reaction score
When did we know Atlanta won, before or after the Seattle/Dallas game?
We knew after. Our playoff fate remained the same. If getting that Seahawks win would have made you feel better, only to get knocked out the following week, more power to you.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We knew after. Our playoff fate remained the same. If getting that Seahawks win would have made you feel better, only to get knocked out the following week, more power to you.
Hindsight. At the time we were ahead going into the 3rd quarter it mattered.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
hey, just my opinion that he didn't take football seriously early in his career. As for being paid well, yes he was, as the top QB in the NFL for a while. Hey, most of the contracts I sign make me money too. I have no prob with making money whatsoever. Just saying there are far too many excuses used to explain away Romo's career or ruined career in your opinion. I'll stick to "Romo was paid well" for such a ruined career and the same management you blame for his ruination paid him. I'm thinking Romo is a huge JJ supporter. That must drive you nuts!
First of all, I didn't mean they ruined his career in the sense that he could never play football, or that he was coached so bad it destroyed his confidence so he could never achieve success. I was talking about ruining his chances for what a successful QB is typically measured for in his career, i.e., Super Bowls. Being paid well for what he is worth has nothing to do with that. Romo got paid according to his skill set and the salary measurement scale of the career he was in.

kskboys

Reaction score
Try not to be clueless like the guy doing the voice-over on the video.

That video showed that Dez is terrible. About 80% or more of the fault is on Dez in the video.

I can see how people that have minimal knowledge would only be able to consider that if the ball is not perfectly on target that it must be the QBs fault.

In reality on intermediate and long passes the QB throws to spots based on coverage and the WR has to know how he is being covered.

If there are 2 DBs over (deeper) than the WR and no DBs underneath, then the QB is going to throw short. The WR has to anticipate the throw being short because he should know that the DBs are over him.

Even in single coverage if the DB is over, then expect the throw to be under and vise-versa.

On crossing routes the QB throws between defenders which means the ball will often not be perfectly on target. The WR should be able to catch balls even if they have to stretch out to get them. This is especially true if the ball hits their outstretched hands.

Many of the throws were just throw-aways, especially many near the sideline.

On many of those corner endzone routes failed because Dez let the DBs get position on him using technique despite him being bigger than them.

The many drops were obvious.

The guy in the video tried using terms like inside leverage in an attempt to sound like he knows something. On one of those it started out as outside leverage and Dez was supposed to run an out which requires a 90 degree type of cut but he ran more of a 45 degree cut which means he crossed the path of the ball. On a square cut the ball would have been in front of him but with the 45 degree cut the ball was behind him.

Obviously Dak was not perfect, but he was way better than good enough if he just had a decent #1 WR.
Man, you are my hero. I've tried to point this out to people, but not anywhere near as well as you just did. Major kudos on a job well done.

And major kudos to Dak for being a gentleman and not throwing Dez under the bus. And then the biggest problem by far is that the coaching staff kept him on the field w/ the poor route running. That is just major brow beetling to me.

kskboys

Reaction score
Romo, the QB who isn’t “injury prone”, he just happens to have a “fluke” injury 60% of the seasons he was supposed to be the starter.
Yeah, a while back when discussing Sean Lee w/ a guy I know, when I said Sean was injury prone, he said "Your definition of injury prone and mine are different."

Yeah, when someone comes up w/ their own definitions, yeah, you can define anything any way you want!!!! I was shocked to find out at one point that people didn't even know the difference between a #2 WR and a #2 option. Didn't have a clue what lateral agility, burst out of the breaks, and core strength mean. No idea whatsoever about quick first step, short area quickness, and sand in his pants.

Of course, if someone gets all their info form the telly, they're going to get a ton of bad info.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Players have to be accountable and stop blaming others. Cowboys can't pay Dez huge money since he's starting to drop off. Take a pay cut or be cut.