Not enough Elite QB’s to go around

kskboys

Reaction score
And defence is something we were lacking until this past seasons. Which is particularly annoying considering that was the Cowboys bread and butter for the longest time including under Jimmy. Not sure how Jerry forgot how important a top defence is.
Listen to him. He truly believes we won those super bowls because of the triplets. I doubt if he even knows what our D's were ranked in those years. James Washington was the true MVP of the first super bowl.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Listen to him. He truly believes we won those super bowls because of the triplets. I doubt if he even knows what our D's were ranked in those years. James Washington was the true MVP of the first super bowl.

I suppose, cuz the Triplets were important. That being said, wasn't he the one that signed Charles Haley? Haley made a massive difference in the 90s. We probably don't make it to a SB if not for Charles Haley.

Flamma

Reaction score
So it’s the dreaded “eye test” lol

Right. Don't believe what you see, believe numbers on a paper. Why do scouts bother watching players play when all the have to do is look at statistics? I honestly never thought I'd see the day people trust numbers on a paper over what they actually watch. But that does explain a lot.

Flamma

Reaction score
That’s part of it.

How do you think recruiters and scouts are able to find talent on lesser teams ?

Stop!! They don't have to watch them play. They don't know what they're looking at.

I believe there are those that just don't know what they're seeing. Probably never played. So they bury their faces in stats to come to a conclusion and think everyone else has to do the same. No other way to explain it. Some will convince themselves Dak is HOF doing that.

Flamma

Reaction score
In baseball, the top few make all the bucks. Players in general actually make less, IMO.

Different system. Players in the NFL would not make less. Does baseball have any type of revenue sharing?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I suppose, cuz the Triplets were important. That being said, wasn't he the one that signed Charles Haley? Haley made a massive difference in the 90s. We probably don't make it to a SB if not for Charles Haley.
While Haley was an important addition that defense was greater than any one individual .

Much like I think we could have won SB 30 without Deion who obviously helped a great deal .

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
While Haley was an important addition that defense was greater than any one individual .

Much like I think we could have won SB 30 without Deion who obviously helped a great deal .

I agree with that, but let me counter with this. Without the pass rush that Charles Haley provided, is James Washington able to make the plays that he made to essentially win that SB?

glimmerman

Reaction score
In the NFL once you get passed the top 4-6 Elite HOF caliber QB’s the rest of the league has to build around what’s left. There’s never going to be enough Elite QB’s to fill 32 teams .

The good news is there is usually another 10-15 QB’s good enough to build around you can win with and contend for the playoffs with. And that’s really all you can hope for .

There is simply not enough Elite QB’s coming out in the draft every year to position yourself to try and land one if you don’t have one . They only come around ever so often. And even if you do land one it’s not a guarantee while it of course does make it easier to build around .

And why it’s silly to bash your QB if he’s near the middle to upper half of the league . This is what most teams have to work with.
Depends on who you talk to. End of last year he was 7-10. Now it’s offseason and has not thrown a pass and has somehow dropped out of top
10. Lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree with that, but let me counter with this. Without the pass rush that Charles Haley provided, is James Washington able to make the plays that he made to essentially win that SB?
Pressure we had this year even though not considered consistent for sure helped Diggs get his picks. A good D-LINE makes a secondary look real good.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Pressure we had this year even though not considered consistent for sure helped Diggs get his picks. A good D-LINE makes a secondary look real good.

Exactly, which is why I'm surprised that Jerry forgot that one other piece. Oh yes, and when we had DWare, our defence was among the best when he was in his prime, which is a core aspect of the Cowboys.

Flamma

Reaction score

That's the thing. Too many moving parts in football to come to any solid conclusion. I always thought Michael Downs, Ron Fellows, Dennis Thurman, and Everson Walls benefitted greatly by our pass rush. Besides Walls, the other 3 weren't the most talented, but they got a lot of picks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's the thing. Too many moving parts in football to come to any solid conclusion. I always thought Michael Downs, Ron Fellows, Dennis Thurman, and Everson Walls benefitted greatly by our pass rush. Besides Walls, the other 3 weren't the most talented, but they got a lot of picks.

I look at it this way. The oline is the key aspect of whether the offense will succeed or fail. You can have Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in at QB, but they'd fail if your oline can't block. But, if your oline is among the better ones in the league, then the possibilities for the offense are endless as far as the plays that can be drawn up to shred a defence. The same is true with the Dline. The Dline is drives the success or failure of the secondary.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly, which is why I'm surprised that Jerry forgot that one other piece. Oh yes, and when we had DWare, our defence was among the best when he was in his prime, which is a core aspect of the Cowboys.
We need a nice DT to add to the middle. Help stuff run and take the step up lane away. Crash the edges and we got something.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We need a nice DT to add to the middle. Help stuff run and take the step up lane away. Crash the edges and we got something.

I'll second this. I like Ridgeway and Bohanna, but having one more 1T (or, as Mark Holmes calls them, "nose guards") would be massive for us. Micah Parsons would be so much more dangerous if we had a top nose guard.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'll second this. I like Ridgeway and Bohanna, but having one more 1T (or, as Mark Holmes calls them, "nose guards") would be massive for us. Micah Parsons would be so much more dangerous if we had a top nose guard.
Yeah I watch some mark holmes here and there. Good guy. And he is right. You need someone that can just drop anchor at the hips and clog a hole.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah I watch some mark holmes here and there. Good guy. And he is right. You need someone that can just drop anchor at the hips and clog a hole.

I enjoy his channel, and exactly. Ridgeway does seem to be that kind of player that can do that.