Not enough Elite QB’s to go around

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with that, but let me counter with this. Without the pass rush that Charles Haley provided, is James Washington able to make the plays that he made to essentially win that SB?
No. And it was not just Haley. We had the deepest DT rotation in the NFL. Jimmy Jones would've started for most teams. Haley would not have been as good as he was w/o Casillas, Maryland, Lett, Jimmie Jones, Tolbert, and Hennig. That DLine was just stacked.

kskboys

Reaction score
Different system. Players in the NFL would not make less. Does baseball have any type of revenue sharing?
I doubt that you can say that. You're forgetting that w/ a salary cap comes a salary min. W/o the salary min, many players aren't going to make all that much. Trout makes what 45 mil/season now? Pirates complete payroll is like 80 mill.

Players that are not the best would definitely make less than in the current system.

GINeric

Reaction score
In the NFL once you get passed the top 4-6 Elite HOF caliber QB’s the rest of the league has to build around what’s left. There’s never going to be enough Elite QB’s to fill 32 teams .

The good news is there is usually another 10-15 QB’s good enough to build around you can win with and contend for the playoffs with. And that’s really all you can hope for .

There is simply not enough Elite QB’s coming out in the draft every year to position yourself to try and land one if you don’t have one . They only come around ever so often. And even if you do land one it’s not a guarantee while it of course does make it easier to build around .

And why it’s silly to bash your QB if he’s near the middle to upper half of the league . This is what most teams have to work with.

The problem is, there are dumb dumbs on this board that don't understand this. The idiots think only elite quarterbacks win Superbowls, not realizing that there HAVE been elite quarterbacks who've been in this league and NEVER won a superbowl.

It baffles me when I see idiots complaining about having a top 7 to 10 quarterback on their team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No. And it was not just Haley. We had the deepest DT rotation in the NFL. Jimmy Jones would've started for most teams. Haley would not have been as good as he was w/o Casillas, Maryland, Lett, Jimmie Jones, Tolbert, and Hennig. That DLine was just stacked.

And that's the thing, that's what we've lacked since that time. We haven't built our Dline properly. We tried too many tweezers. Hopefully, Ridgeway can be the nose guard we need so that Sam Williams can beat his man like a drum and allow Parsons all the free runs at the QB he wants. Let the lion have his QB buffet. Maybe if Ridgeway can play as we need, it can remind Jerry of the one thing he's lacked since then. We've had the QBs in Romo and Dak. We've had the weapons. We've had big name DBs. We had DWare. The one thing that was lacking was a nose guard to allow our pass rushers and LBs the ability to really flourish along with our DBs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Frankly, in my view, finding an elite nose guard is almost as important as finding an elite QB. With an elite nose guard, your defence can do so much more. You're basically denying the other team the ability to run, and their QB to step up in the pocket. That's how you shut down elite QBs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The problem is, there are dumb dumbs on this board that don't understand this. The idiots think only elite quarterbacks win Superbowls, not realizing that there HAVE been elite quarterbacks who've been in this league and NEVER won a superbowl.

It baffles me when I see idiots complaining about having a top 7 to 10 quarterback on their team.

Worse yet, there are fans that seem to forget that defence is a vital part of the game even now. Yes, the game is a bit more skewed to the offense. However, that makes finding elite defencive talent MORE important. If we can find more elite talent, especially on the Dline, on that side of the ball, then the offense has a massive advantage, and it's easier to move the B into the "elite" conversation because the defence did their job well. Dan Marino was an excellent QB.....but I'm not sure you can say that about his defence. On the flip side, Eli has two rings because his defence was elite.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with that, but let me counter with this. Without the pass rush that Charles Haley provided, is James Washington able to make the plays that he made to essentially win that SB?
It’s all subjective . And I’m not attempting to diminish the impact Haley made . My overall point is I think that DL was stacked and could have helped us win a championship if we took away any one piece because the sum was greater.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s all subjective . And I’m not attempting to diminish the impact Haley made . My overall point is I think that DL was stacked and could have helped us win a championship if we took away any one piece.

Which is true, especially when you consider the nose guard we had then, and that's the one piece we haven't had that Jerry has ignored until Quinn got here. That was the mojo that we need. As I stated in a thread that I've just started, an elite nose guard means everyone's job is so much easier. If you have someone who can swallow up 2 or 3 blocks a play, then that makes the entire defence elite because the rest of the Dline and blitzing LB can pin their ears back at the QB. Then adding a Charles Haley into the mix means that now you have an elite pass rusher with that, and the other team has no chance at all. That's what we've lacked. We've had the pass rushers including DWare. Like I said, if we are going to have Parsons as the next elite LBer like Ray Lewis we are going to need a top nose guard (and hopefully, Ridgeway can be that). That is the key.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Which is true, especially when you consider the nose guard we had then, and that's the one piece we haven't had that Jerry has ignored until Quinn got here. That was the mojo that we need. As I stated in a thread that I've just started, an elite nose guard means everyone's job is so much easier. If you have someone who can swallow up 2 or 3 blocks a play, then that makes the entire defence elite because the rest of the Dline and blitzing LB can pin their ears back at the QB. Then adding a Charles Haley into the mix means that now you have an elite pass rusher with that, and the other team has no chance at all. That's what we've lacked. We've had the pass rushers including DWare. Like I said, if we are going to have Parsons as the next elite LBer like Ray Lewis we are going to need a top nose guard (and hopefully, Ridgeway can be that). That is the key.

As such, when you have such a Dline, your DBs have such a simpler job that it's hard not to get interceptions. Diggs didn't just switch to a ball hawk. It was made possible because the Cowboys learned how to rush the passer. This, the QB isn't going to be able to make his reads thoroughly. This, he has to just get it to someone remotely open. That means James Washington and Diggs can snatch the ball with ease.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I just wish we had one.

I think we have a top 10 one. What we need is a top nose guard, which I think Ridgeway can be with Quinn's tutelage. As I was saying to Diehard, if we can get top nose guard play, then the defence will improve to elite levels. Thus, Dak will have even more latitude. As good as the Triplets were, they probably don't sniff a ring without that defence. We are getting there on D. We just need a top nose guard, and I think we will be there. Also, a more reliable kicker will help as most games come down to 3 points or less, and a reliable kicker means the difference between a 2 and 3 seed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Let me add to my point. When Stafford had Suh, he was successful in Detroit and led them to the playoffs. When Suh left, the Lions struggled as did Stafford. Stafford went to LA. They have a top defence. Stafford wins a ring, and now is called elite. That's how important a top Dline (especially nose guard) is.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think we have a top 10 one. What we need is a top nose guard, which I think Ridgeway can be with Quinn's tutelage. As I was saying to Diehard, if we can get top nose guard play, then the defence will improve to elite levels. Thus, Dak will have even more latitude. As good as the Triplets were, they probably don't sniff a ring without that defence. We are getting there on D. We just need a top nose guard, and I think we will be there. Also, a more reliable kicker will help as most games come down to 3 points or less, and a reliable kicker means the difference between a 2 and 3 seed.
Just say anything. To hell with the concept of a thread topic. So what if the OP was about the shortage of elite QBs in this league. Let's talk about the D-line. :rolleyes:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just say anything. To hell with the concept of a thread topic. So what if the OP was about the shortage of elite QBs in this league. Let's talk about the D-line. :rolleyes:

Actually, I was talking more about how a better Dline can help our QB rise the ranks of what is considered to be an "elite" QB. Consider Tom Brady. Without the vaunted dline he enjoys in Tampa, do you think he continues to enjoy the success that he has? What about Matt Stafford? Did it not help his status when he had a top Dline? What about Aikman? Didn't it help having a top Dline? I was contributing to the thread topic by pointing out that there are external factors in play when discussing elite QBs because a lot of them are greatly improved when their defence is better, especially the nose guard. Thus, if we want Dak to improve, then it stands to reason that our Dline must become a top Dline.

GINeric

Reaction score
Frankly, in my view, finding an elite nose guard is almost as important as finding an elite QB. With an elite nose guard, your defence can do so much more. You're basically denying the other team the ability to run, and their QB to step up in the pocket. That's how you shut down elite QBs.

That's why I wished we could have moved up to draft Jordan Davis so bad. The Eagles defense is going to be a problem this year, im telling yall!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's why I wished we could have moved up to draft Jordan Davis so bad. The Eagles defense is going to be a problem this year, im telling yall!!

It may not be so bad. I think Ridgeway may actually be on par with Jourdan Davis. Believe me, I wanted Davis, but, partly from listening to Mark Holmes, I think we will be in good shape with Ridgeway. Plus, with where we were drafting, we likely weren't getting Davis anyway, and Ridgeway looks to be nearly as good. If he can play like that, then this defence can become elite, which means the rest of the team, including Dak, can take the step from dangerous with faults to a contender.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Actually, I was talking more about how a better Dline can help our QB rise the ranks of what is considered to be an "elite" QB. Consider Tom Brady. Without the vaunted dline he enjoys in Tampa, do you think he continues to enjoy the success that he has? What about Matt Stafford? Did it not help his status when he had a top Dline? What about Aikman? Didn't it help having a top Dline? I was contributing to the thread topic by pointing out that there are external factors in play when discussing elite QBs because a lot of them are greatly improved when their defence is better, especially the nose guard. Thus, if we want Dak to improve, then it stands to reason that our Dline must become a top Dline.
Yes, you were talking about how to help our QB. Which is a far cry from talking about an elite QB. Still completely off the thread topic.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, you were talking about how to help our QB. Which is a far cry from talking about an elite QB. Still completely off the thread topic.

Because that's how you can help your top QB become an elite QB. That's what I was on about. It's an outside the box way of talking about how QBs can be helped to become elite QBs.

Flamma

Reaction score
I look at it this way. The oline is the key aspect of whether the offense will succeed or fail. You can have Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in at QB, but they'd fail if your oline can't block. But, if your oline is among the better ones in the league, then the possibilities for the offense are endless as far as the plays that can be drawn up to shred a defence. The same is true with the Dline. The Dline is drives the success or failure of the secondary.

Yeah no kidding. That's a huge part of it.