Nothing “free” in free agency

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I dont understand the point behind this article. The cowboys are resistant to improve their team because they’d rather keep the money?

You have cap room, it does you no good in Jerry’s pocket. Need to resign big name players? You can structure the contracts to reduce early year cap hits to take full advantage of Dak’s rookie contract. But to write an article refuting that because cap space is more important to preserve than use... that’s difficult to grasp.

davey999

Reaction score
The bottom line is this - we have zero "skins" on the wall to show for all this praise being heaped on our FA policy. You can compare us the Dolphins - that's fine - both teams have been mediocre over the past 20 years.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Comparing our situation to the Dolphins is apples and oranges. They are trying to start all over....getting rid of big contracts now for picks that help them rebuild. In effect they are buying draft picks. Haven't ever really seen that done before but it is an interesting concept.

I think we have done a good job of keeping the guys we want, adding some young players to compete at DT and DL that aren't going to break the bank and also who also shore up position groups so we have fewer glaring needs going into the draft. Adding a vet like Cobb at least should be a wash with the loss of Beasley and was cheaper, so hard to argue.

We need to resolve the Tank issue as soon as possible. Either sign him or try to trade him. It isn't worth having drama leading up to the season....and since he is playing games with his shoulder there is even doubt that he will be 100% for the start of the season. I think in general our front office makes reasonable offers, especially to our own guys, so I think the issue is more on Tank's side.

I really don't see the point of the Witten resigning, although with Swaim moving on I guess it is kind of a swap. I prefer moving forward with Jarwin and Schultz who both showed signs of life down the stretch. Adding another young guy to the mix in the draft would have been my plan. Maybe with these 3, and then Rico and the other project they signed we won't use a pick.

I do think we missed a chance to make a big improvement at S and on the DL. There were some difference makers available...not really sure there is at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
I dont understand the point behind this article. The cowboys are resistant to improve their team because they’d rather keep the money?

You have cap room, it does you no good in Jerry’s pocket. Need to resign big name players? You can structure the contracts to reduce early year cap hits to take full advantage of Dak’s rookie contract. But to write an article refuting that because cap space is more important to preserve than use... that’s difficult to grasp.

I'll explain it to you.

Mickey is a mouthpiece for the organization. His job is essentially to push the company line. Whatever they do, in most cases, Mickey will talk about how smart it is or how wise the franchise is. Very rarely will he criticize them.

In other words, if the Cowboys had signed Earl Thomas to a contract similar to what he got with the Ravens, Mickey would have fired off a couple of articles talking about how shrewd the move was and how now was the ripe time to jump back in with a big FA signing.

In other words, pay him little attention. He's our version of Dave Spadaro.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I do think we are at the point where we need to push all our chips in to the middle of the table for a Super Bowl run.

So to me that means maybe paying a bit more to get what we want. We have the flexibility to do it now. Dak's contract needs to wait. Make a splash with the money you save on him this year.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
So whats your plan to improve the team? Just sit back and hope we magically improve our weaknesses?

How can you praise a FO that hasn't reached a semi final in 25 years?

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll explain it to you.

Mickey is a mouthpiece for the organization. His job is essentially to push the company line. Whatever they do, in most cases, Mickey will talk about how smart it is or how wise the franchise is. Very rarely will he criticize them.

In other words, if the Cowboys had signed Earl Thomas to a contract similar to what he got with the Ravens, Mickey would have fired off a couple of articles talking about how shrewd the move was and how now was the ripe time to jump back in with a big FA signing.

lyjS7z0.png

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas is being smart in not over paying for past memories of players who are now on the downhill side. I have no doubt we have posters here who would pay Thomas anything he wanted because if you look at his past he is great. Guess what at 30 coming off the past 3 season of injuries he is not in his prime and spending the type of money he got was just plain stupid. We have seen many teams like the Skins and Philly in past season spend like drunken sailors to get a SB and have failed badly in doing so. Dallas is managing a cap not just for this season but in the coming season as well to ensure the needed resources to get key players signed. In doing that Dallas was able to do things like take Care of Zack Martin who is under contract until 2025 and Fredrick who is under contract until 2024. With Dlaw deal still needed to be done, Dak who many estimate a deal around 25 mill a year, Zeke looking for his payday and Cooper also looking to get a long term deal will not come cheap and becomes much harder to do when you flush big money on a player who is not on the rise but on the downhill side of his career.

Angus12

Reaction score
I'll explain it to you.

Exactly. And anybody that props up the words of a hack like Mickey Spin-nola as words of wisdom needs to have their opinions disregarded and dismissed right along with his. Nothing but useless fluff.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dallas is being smart in not over paying for past memories of players who are now on the downhill side. I have no doubt we have posters here who would pay Thomas anything he wanted because if you look at his past he is great. Guess what at 30 coming off the past 3 season of injuries he is not in his prime and spending the type of money he got was just plain stupid. We have seen many teams like the Skins and Philly in past season spend like drunken sailors to get a SB and have failed badly in doing so. Dallas is managing a cap not just for this season but in the coming season as well to ensure the needed resources to get key players signed. In doing that Dallas was able to do things like take Care of Zack Martin who is under contract until 2025 and Fredrick who is under contract until 2024. With Dlaw deal still needed to be done, Dak who many estimate a deal around 25 mill a year, Zeke looking for his payday and Cooper also looking to get a long term deal will not come cheap and becomes much harder to do when you flush big money on a player who is not on the rise but on the downhill side of his career.

LOL.

If the Cowboys had signed Thomas to a similar deal, Mickey would be one of those fans all excited about it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Mickey is a well known homer so spare us the “yeah, but’s”. He’s spot on with this article.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-nothing-is-free-in-the-nfl

Mickey is often level headed on many things. But most on here hate him. Just because he is positive most of the time. Shows how many fans on here are just really haters.
He did have a few really stupid articles way off based at the end of the season. But for the most part I always since the early 80's enjoyed his articles. Rather for the DMN, and his team preview in the magazines that come out in June and July before TC. To the Dallas Cowboys weekly and even now.

I rarely listen to him on the radio shows, as I don't take the time to do so. Busy doing other things for now. So maybe the criticism comes more from that. So I can't comment if that is where the dislike comes from. But as for his articles our own fans hate a little bit of someone being positive.
I bet they loved Randy Gallowaste and the little ball of hate when she was on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. And anybody that props up the words of a hack like Mickey Spin-nola as words of wisdom needs to have their opinions disregarded and dismissed right along with his. Nothing but useless fluff.

Same goes for those that just hate him because he is a positive voice.
Not saying some criticism is warranted as it is, very much so. But the constant hating of everything is the anti-Mickey. And also needs to be disregarded.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LOL.

If the Cowboys had signed Thomas to a similar deal, Mickey would be one of those fans all excited about it.

I'm not speaking for Mickey. I would have loved to get Thomas but not at that price tag. I don't fault Thomas and he was surprised by the Ravens offer as well. I don't mind see Dallas play top money to players who are in their prime but I do draw the line with big contract to player who are in the downhill side of their career. I don't believe in paying for past memories of players. I like Berry but would not look to hand out a contract that would put him in the top 5 paid safeties in the league. I'm not one who really pays a lot of attention to Spagnola and seldom read his articles