Nothing “free” in free agency

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
#1 - the offseason isn't over. This website was saying all offseason that the team would get killed if Sean Lee got hurt in 2018. He did but LVE played very well.

#2 - The Rams game didn't happen because we didn't have talent at DT, it was a combination of a great scheme by the Rams coaches, great execution by their OL and the fact that Maliek Collins was playing on a knee that got worse and Antwuan Woods was completely gassed playing in his 20th game of the season. Signing Suh to play DT would have helped, but that takes you back to the discussion of where you cut 14.5 Million dollars off the roster to make room for him.

you don’t need Suh to be good at DT. Malcolm Brown, Timmy Jernigan, Malik Jackson, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson.

You currently have 20 million in cap room, and will have 10 million more when you extend Lawrence and reduce his year 1 cap hit. You could have picked up any 2 of those guys with low year 1 cap hits and had a phenomenal rotation at D-tackle with who you already have.

Suddenly Maliek Collin’s injury doesn’t matter, and the rams O-line has a considerably more difficult task executing at that level.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I agree those aren’t the teams to copy, but that doesn’t necessarily default Dallas as being the team to copy. New England, Philly, St. Louis, Denver, NYG, Kansas City all seem to pick up big name players at crazy price tags every offseason... that make up the NFL’s top teams of this decade, including many of the last few Super Bowl participants. Yeah there are down years amongst that group, but they have massive payoff years too.

Dallas hasn’t had a scary DT in who knows how long. Hasn’t had a true star Safety since... Woodson? Why did you get knocked out of the playoffs? Because you gave up 300 freaking rushing yards, something DTs and safeties take care of. This was one of the best safety free agencies in NFL history and there were a ton of available DTs. But zero impact players were picked up.

There frugality and then there’s stubbornness. Not a lot of incomplete teams go all the way. Free agency can be used to fill the holes the draft does not. But if you refuse to do that, what are you really building for? 10-6 and more clapping?

Says the Lions fan. Kind of rich.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll explain it to you.

Mickey is a mouthpiece for the organization. His job is essentially to push the company line. Whatever they do, in most cases, Mickey will talk about how smart it is or how wise the franchise is. Very rarely will he criticize them.

In other words, if the Cowboys had signed Earl Thomas to a contract similar to what he got with the Ravens, Mickey would have fired off a couple of articles talking about how shrewd the move was and how now was the ripe time to jump back in with a big FA signing.

In other words, pay him little attention. He's our version of Dave Spadaro.

It's too bad because a long time ago (anybody remember the Dallas Times Herald) Mickey was one of the better reporters covering the Cowboys.

He had info on rules and cap info in the early days of the cap that nobody else provided.

After the Times Herald closed for a short time he published a newsletter that was distributed via fax machines.

Once he got the job with the Cowboys he got lazy and morphed into the company mouthpiece. I don't think they push him to be the mouthpiece but he probably gets a slap on the back from Jerry when he pumps out these fluff pieces.

It's sad when Bryan Broaddus is the most professional media guy in the group...

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
You are wasting your time with Rockport.

One nit, I think Cobb, if healthy, is as good if not better than Beasley.

The DL is worse IMO unless they can bring in Quinn. Irving shouldn't matter because he wasn't even around last year. You can't knock them for a player they didn't have last year either.

Duly noted. And all fair points by you. Main point being that Dallas has not improved the team. (yet)
Rockport guy is claiming we are somehow better than last year. Lunacy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
you don’t need Suh to be good at DT. Malcolm Brown, Timmy Jernigan, Malik Jackson, Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson.

Ummmmm, you don't need to pay Suh 14.5 Million because you can outbid the 12 Million a year contract Sheldon Richardson got?

How does that work?

Muhammad Wilkerson got 5 Million dollars last year for 5 tackles. That's 29 less tackles than Antwuan Woods made playing for the league minimum.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My only interaction with Spagnola was at Oxnard training camp. He was polite and patient with the fans asking him questions, even the ones that were jerks. And this will shock you, but JJ Taylor was a complete buffoon.
YEP..taylor is a buffoon on camera as well..so its stands to reason.

ksadler1

Reaction score
If you would pay attention instead of fester in your hate you would see that they ARE improving the team.

I guess that depends on what you consider "improving". Making it to an NFC Championship game? Making it to the SB? Winning the SB? Nobody is hating here. There's no excuse for the way this team has been run or coached for over 20 years. The failures of this team are not 2 or 3 years. Jerry has shown to be a horrible GM but refuses to correct this. Playoffs, NFCE Championships, winning seasons, all mean nothing without SB's. Until Jerry realizes Jerry is the issue, nothing will change. Show us Jerry, quit telling us...

Kaiser

Reaction score
After the Times Herald closed for a short time he published a newsletter that was distributed via fax machines.

Wow. Were the articles about the newest models of leather helmets?

Agree on Spagnola but I wonder if some of him moving into homer/optimist role was the fact noone else was really doing it and all the oxygen was being taken up by darksiders like Randy Galloway and Skip Bayless. His job is to tell the story and if the only voices are guys like Galloway, you end up looking like a homer by default.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'll explain it to you.

Mickey is a mouthpiece for the organization. His job is essentially to push the company line. Whatever they do, in most cases, Mickey will talk about how smart it is or how wise the franchise is. Very rarely will he criticize them.

In other words, if the Cowboys had signed Earl Thomas to a contract similar to what he got with the Ravens, Mickey would have fired off a couple of articles talking about how shrewd the move was and how now was the ripe time to jump back in with a big FA signing.

In other words, pay him little attention. He's our version of Dave Spadaro.
Too much truth.

Mickey's true title should be Dallas Cowboys Minister of Propaganda. He has ZERO integrity.

Sydla

Reaction score

You currently have 20 million in cap room, and will have 10 million more when you extend Lawrence and reduce his year 1 cap hit. You could have picked up any 2 of those guys with low year 1 cap hits and had a phenomenal rotation at D-tackle with who you already have.

Suddenly Maliek Collin’s injury doesn’t matter, and the rams O-line has a considerably more difficult task executing at that level.

I feel dirty, but the Eagles dude is right on this.

They could also create 4-5MM in cap space in extending Cooper as well. Using the cap as a reason we couldn't get better at S or DT in FA is a cop out IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow. Were the articles about the newest models of leather helmets?

Agree on Spagnola but I wonder if some of him moving into homer/optimist role was the fact noone else was really doing it and all the oxygen was being taken up by darksiders like Randy Galloway and Skip Bayless. His job is to tell the story and if the only voices are guys like Galloway, you end up looking like a homer by default.

Yes, I think that is correct.

Also Mickey was a "homer" long before he started started his job with the Cowboys.

links18

Reaction score
I dont understand the point behind this article. The cowboys are resistant to improve their team because they’d rather keep the money?

You have cap room, it does you no good in Jerry’s pocket. Need to resign big name players? You can structure the contracts to reduce early year cap hits to take full advantage of Dak’s rookie contract. But to write an article refuting that because cap space is more important to preserve than use... that’s difficult to grasp.

Its like dying with a million in your retirement account and no heirs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Fester in hate? Not sure what you are talking about there. I am festering in hate because I disagree with your premise?

How has the team improved? Randal Cobb is a downgrade from Beasley. The Dline got considerably worse with Irving departure. Please sir, explain how the Dallas Cowboys are better now.
LOL! How many games did Irving play last year? You must think he played a majority. LOL!! Cobb is just as good if not better than Beasley. Fred will be back. Gallup will be better. Hell, the offense will be better without Linehan. Yes, you are festering blind in your hate.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I guess that depends on what you consider "improving". Making it to an NFC Championship game? Making it to the SB? Winning the SB? Nobody is hating here. There's no excuse for the way this team has been run or coached for over 20 years. The failures of this team are not 2 or 3 years. Jerry has shown to be a horrible GM but refuses to correct this. Playoffs, NFCE Championships, winning seasons, all mean nothing without SB's. Until Jerry realizes Jerry is the issue, nothing will change. Show us Jerry, quit telling us...
Only an ignorant fool focuses on the last 20+ years as proof the Cowboys aren’t improving. Only a fool.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
My only interaction with Spagnola was at Oxnard training camp. He was polite and patient with the fans asking him questions, even the ones that were jerks. And this will shock you, but JJ Taylor was a complete buffoon.

JJ Taylor is a prick. Can’t stand that guy, When I met him in Oxnard the year that QC was released he had this attitude, like he was better than you. Never said another word to him again.