Now that’s over - what defensive Free Agents can we afford

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
With the cap going down this year, I think there will be some vets available that we aren't even thinking about yet, and they may be happy with 1-year prove it deals, with the hope of signing a bigger deal next year.
If we are willing to be aggressive, we can take advantage of this situation and build up the D pretty quickly.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I want Hooker at free safety and Tomilson at defensive tackle then we can finish the defense off in the draft. I would consider bringing back Lewis as a dime corner on the cheap.

Turk

Reaction score
Jerry is the head of the TV negotiations. He knows what’s coming. And year 2 his cap number is only 33 mil. He doesn’t crack 40 until years 3 and 4.
As things stand no one really knows what will come in the next 5 years. All the new TV contracts are going to have outs for the networks built in if ratings go down.

Jerry is at heart a wildcatter; he is gambling but its not THAT huge a reach.

All in all its a little better than I had hoped.

As regards FA now that is where the so called brain trust of the organization has to prove itself. Get CONTRIBUTING FA's.

and then there is the defensive draft- a place where the Boys have not exactly shined.

Turk

Reaction score
I want Hooker at free safety and Tomilson at defensive tackle then we can finish the defense off in the draft. I would consider bringing back Lewis as a dime corner on the cheap.
Thomlinson should be the boys #1 FA target. He is exactly what we need on the line. There is no one else out there at any position that can make a bigger difference for the D.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
this went in the toilet bowl today

Not really with Dak's cap hit of around 23 million this year that gives the Cowboys 14 million more vs tag. Cowboys have 60 million in projected cap space next year and twice that the year after that with an inflating cap under the new tv deal not accounted for yet.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
More "kicking the can down the road," as usual. This, and we wonder why the cap always comes back to bite us in the end. I guess it's tough for rich guys to maintain a budget, perhaps. I think Stephen would like to but maybe Jerry is compelled to step in and "go for the gusto." Just a hunch. o_O

The road gets wide over this time. This is not a situation where 3 years from now the cap is the same as today, with new TV deal the cap is expected to rise quit a bit. Franchise tag would have hurt being hit with 37 mill all at once, in this situation Cowboys save 15.5 mill off this years cap which will be the lowest, even in 2022 Dak comes in at 33.2 mill still under the 37 mill of this year franchise tag and a hell of a lot less than 54 which is what a 3rd franchise tag would have paid.

LittleD

Reaction score
Over the cap has us over cap right now. We can restructure some but we'll need 9+mil to sign the draft choices. We will certainly be shopping for bargain basement defensive players
again this year as well. Look for another season like last season. Defense will be a sieve and the offensive will have to score 40burgers every week. Expect another in a long line of 8x8
seasons. That is Jerry's winning number.

J-man

Reaction score
We need some nastiness. We have too many male models on this team. Too many Zoolanders that care more about being really really ridiculously good looking. For goodness sakes, our defense is nicknamed after a boy band from the 80's. Charles Haley would have punched DLaw in the face for naming the defense after a boy band.

lmao reading this, but dead on

garyv

Reaction score
I’m sure they’ll do a bunch of restructures to free up 15-20 million for free agency. Are there 2-3 quality defensive free agents they could look at and now afford that would be a bridge until the likely high influx of rookies gets up to speed?

I would look at Safety and Offensive line in free agency than in this order go CB, DT and LB in the draft those are sweet spots in the draft where we are picking. In 1st Round CB and 2nd Round DT and 3rd, 4th rounds LB

starfan1

Reaction score
I really would like a push for Patrick Peterson to play safety for us. If we can find a solid LB i wouldnt be upset. I like Leonard Williams but hes going to be too much cabbage

On our front i think they like Gallimore and Hill and McCoy providing he dont hurt himself will play.

Id like to keep Dalton and LP
I fear they keep woods

1st Round Slater or Farley, Surtain or if by some stretch of luck Parsons drops run that card up to the podium.
2nd round and of the top 4 DT prospects work for me
we need CBs so drafting 3 would be wise

Carson

Reaction score
Rayshawn Jenkins first and foremost
The safety market is deep. We should be able to sign a player cheap or land one in the draft.

Off my head there is Williams, Harris, Boston, Jenkins, Hooker, Neal, Kazee, Allen, Neal. Outside of Williams and the rest should come relatively cheap. If we don’t get our guy, we can get one in the draft. But Jenkins, Hooker, Kazee shouldn’t cost much

triplets_93

Reaction score
Now that’s over - what defensive Free Agents can we afford??

"Free" ones. That's about all we can afford now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Now that’s over - what defensive Free Agents can we afford??

"Free" ones. That's about all we can afford now.

we can afford more than we would have on a franchise tag. Franchise tag 37 mill, Dak contract 22 mill 15.5 mill more than what we would have had in this years FA

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The safety market is deep. We should be able to sign a player cheap or land one in the draft.

Off my head there is Williams, Harris, Boston, Jenkins, Hooker, Neal, Kazee, Allen, Neal. Outside of Williams and the rest should come relatively cheap. If we don’t get our guy, we can get one in the draft. But Jenkins, Hooker, Kazee shouldn’t cost much
We need a leader first and foremost. Whether emotional or lining guys up/mental leader. Woods was neither