Now that’s over - what defensive Free Agents can we afford

Carson

Reaction score
We need a leader first and foremost. Whether emotional or lining guys up/mental leader. Woods was neither
I’ve never soured on a player before like I did Woods. When we drafted him, I was super excited. His not going 100% every play just ruined it for me especially being a marginal player.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I’ve never soured on a player before like I did Woods. When we drafted him, I was super excited. His not going 100% every play just ruined it for me especially being a marginal player.
He’s a 6th rounder. He’s outperformed his slot

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The road gets wide over this time. This is not a situation where 3 years from now the cap is the same as today, with new TV deal the cap is expected to rise quit a bit. Franchise tag would have hurt being hit with 37 mill all at once, in this situation Cowboys save 15.5 mill off this years cap which will be the lowest, even in 2022 Dak comes in at 33.2 mill still under the 37 mill of this year franchise tag and a hell of a lot less than 54 which is what a 3rd franchise tag would have paid.

Yet, our FO is somehow obliged to predictably opt for tier 3 veteran free agents each and every year. If we're so blessed with their competent cap management, there'd be no need for such an extreme level of frugality. Yet, that situation predictably exists each and every year. Let's hope this year represents a new level of cap health but we've yet to see it occur when it comes to defensive improvement.

It's not a healthy way to manage the cap by having to restructure contracts each and every year. Our FO just isn't adept in their budget management. Hopefully, you and I and the rest of those here won't again be disappointed with the defense's situation but that remains to be seen, imho.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We'll have to see how the Dak deal is structured. I heard there are 2 voidable years so this is really a 6 years deal as far as prorating the bonus is concerned. But I also heard the deal is frontloaded. I have a feeling we will be bargain basement shopping again in free agency.
It's what we do!

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Jerry rarely goes for big names, Cooper being an exception. Though most posters here still think he wasn't worth it. I just don't see us going for anything other than low cost projects or reaches. If it works out, great, if not then nothing really lost.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I’m sure they’ll do a bunch of restructures to free up 15-20 million for free agency. Are there 2-3 quality defensive free agents they could look at and now afford that would be a bridge until the likely high influx of rookies gets up to speed?
The middle of the defense needs an overhaul. 1TDT, LB, S and they can use another CB. I truly hope the only Offensive position addressed is T. Between FA and the draft it has to be heavy D.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I would look at Safety and Offensive line in free agency than in this order go CB, DT and LB in the draft those are sweet spots in the draft where we are picking. In 1st Round CB and 2nd Round DT and 3rd, 4th rounds LB
Agreed. Only difference is I'd still draft another Safety in round 3 then a LB at 4.

Shane612

Reaction score
Can Terence Newman and Kevin Smith come out of retirement?

RamziD

Reaction score
I would resign A. Smith, Awuzie, X. Woods, A. Woods, and Erving.

Cut Zuerlein and C. Jones

Restructure Lawrence and Martin

Sign KJ Wright (SAM) and Duron Harmon (FS).

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
He counts for $22.2 million this year...according to most reports. That's 15 less than the tag would have cost the team. We can restructure several deals to easily free up money (Martin and Cooper). We can sign probably any player we want.

But you know we won't.....we don't operate that way. We will do what we've always done. We will fill holes with reasonably priced vets before the draft and let it come to us.

This. People don’t want Dak because it’ll “hamstring” the team. Like this team spends money in the first place. Laughable.

quickccc

Reaction score
We won't be looking at DE's, so after signing Dak we could probably afford anyone at our need spots. We could probably afford a top DE if thats what we need.

Not saying we will do much, but we have the ability

agree. they'll invest in Gregory, Armstrong, Anae and Carter unless a draft value guy drops to them that they feel they cannot pass up.
it will be bargain based vet DTs, CBs and a safety and combined with whomever comes from the draft.

With Gallimore and Hill - and maybe McCoy if he makes it healthy out of camp, I really don't expect us to draft a 3 tech again - unless again, there's a draft value guy that happens to come up.

- i'd love to add a Dalvin Thompson but he'll be priced out,
- and i dunno if Sheldon Rankins has return to pre-achilles injury form, before that injury he was terrific..
- despite his age Suh may be priced out too, if he was willing, yes.

i'm keeping my eye on bargain based vet guys like Johnathan Hankins and Jurrell Casey .. Kawann Short is a injury wreck waiting to happen.
I think management is gonna do the Dontari Poe vet maneuver again while they're so preoccupied with cap conservation.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We can make enough cap room to do whatever we want in FA.

What we should do, if the front office was smart, is load up on FAs (2 year deals max) in the first two years of Dak's deal while he takes up less than 15% of the cap and really go all-in.

I do not think that we will do this, which is sad, bc their contract with Dak really gives a favorable window this year and next.

quickccc

Reaction score
We won't be looking at DE's, so after signing Dak we could probably afford anyone at our need spots. We could probably afford a top DE if thats what we need.

Not saying we will do much, but we have the ability

there will be some quality vet DEs on the market.(Judon, Barrett, Ingram, Houston, Griffin, etc)
But we won't entertain that.

What's gonna be interesting to see if/how much Cowboys will try to retain Aldon Smith.(i'm not on board with that)
Because of ex-DL coach Tomsula we don't have experience behind DLaw. Gregory is still somewhat on a learning curve himself.
Armstrong is a JAG and Anae/Ron'dell Carter have zero game experience. Wouldn't be surprised to see another FA bargain vet in here.