News: Now this is how you handle malcontents who don’t honor the contract they signed

Tussinman

Reaction score
was it returned or deducted?
He was slightly off. You cannot void a signing bonus since its cash money day 1. You cannot even void it even if you prorate the hit and trade someone (Steelers still have to pay $21 million of Antonio Browns signing bonus even though another team took him off the books). If you get suspended your future guarantees are voided but since signing bonus is Day 1 it's before the suspension

droopdog7

Reaction score
The way fans side with teams on this issue instead of the players is so, so backwards.
I think the fans are siding with what’s best for the team. That’s pretty clear.

In this case, the player is choosing not to play. If the owner was suspending or cutting a good player (like zeke right now) then you better believe the fans would side with the player.

waldoputty

Reaction score
He was slightly off. You cannot void a signing bonus since its cash money day 1. You cannot even void it even if you prorate the hit and trade someone (Steelers still have to pay $21 million of Antonio Browns signing bonus even though another team took him off the books). If you get suspended your future guarantees are voided but since signing bonus is Day 1 it's before the suspension

so they would have to take some action to get that money back?
if they did not, i wonder if they can do that now as extra leverage now.

Flamma

Reaction score
Again. The "honor the contract" thing is total garbage.

For example, we signed Hurns to a two year 12 mill deal. We cut him after a year.

Yet no one is crying about how the team didn't honor the contract.

No one forced Hurns to sign a deal that did not guarantee every penny of every year in his contract. Dallas cut Hurns after a year because the contract that Hurns signed allowed for it to happen.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Im prolly wording it wrong but he definitely lost a few mil cuz of that weak suspension
65% of his contract was a cash advance so that cannot be affected much by a 6 game suspension. He lost 6 games worth of checks + legal fees

The big thing was the suspension meant the salaries for 2018 and 2019 (totaling $3.853 million) would no longer be guaranteed against a career-ending injury.

so they would have to take some action to get that money back?
if they did not, i wonder if they can do that now as extra leverage now.
They could file a junction with the NFL and Zeke would have to pay a little over 4 million in terms of the signing bonus + fines. Jerry's getting old + he ran his mouth last year about how "ohh Gurley is the starting point" and "we already have the money allocated for zeke" so I doubt he's gonna doing anything. This holdout was partially his fault (a more tightly run organization this wouldn't of happened)

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
65% of his contract was a cash advance so that cannot be affected by the suspension. He lost 6 games worth of checks and legal fees.

The big thing was the suspension meant the salaries for 2018 and 2019 (totaling $3.853 million) would no longer be guaranteed against a career-ending injury.

They could file a junction with the NFL and Zeke would have to pay a little over 4 million in terms of the signing bonus + fines. Jerry's getting old + he ran his mouth last year about how "ohh Gurley is the starting point" and "we already have the money allocated for zeke" so I doubt he's gonna doing anything. This holdout was partially his fault (a more tightly run organization this wouldn't of happened)
Yessir thanks this was spot on explaination

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think the fans are siding with what’s best for the team. That’s pretty clear.

In this case, the player is choosing not to play. If the owner was suspending or cutting a good player (like zeke right now) then you better believe the fans would side with the player.

all fans want to win.
most fans want to win over many years.
that means salary cap considerations.
any idiot should be able to see how a contract with zeke would undermine future negotiations.
and the team has leverage but is not fully using it.

JBond

Reaction score
His signing bonus for his original 4 year rookie deal was 16.3 million so they technically could file a junction in to get a little over 4 million of it back (5th year option has nothing to do with the signing bonus).
More of a hypothetical question, but appreciate the clarity.

waldoputty

Reaction score
65% of his contract was a cash advance so that cannot be affected by the suspension.

He lost 6 games worth of checks (9.3% of the sigining bonus + 37.5% of his 2017 base rate) and legal fees.

the front office is being far too lenient and talks too much.
i wonder if we could use that as extra leverage now to at least threaten getting 6/16 of 1.63/4 million back.
that is about 1.5 million that zeke may not have sitting around.

links18

Reaction score

For example, we signed Hurns to a two year 12 mill deal. We cut him after a year.

The option for management to "not honor the contract" is in the contract. Its the difference between guaranteed and non-guaranteed money. Most NFL contracts contain those parameters and players know that (or at least their agents do) when they sign. It doesnt quite work the other way for players.

Tussinman

Reaction score
the front office is being far too lenient and talks too much.
i wonder if we could use that as extra leverage now to at least threaten getting 6/16 of 1.63/4 million back.
that is about 1.5 million that zeke may not have sitting around.
Nah they feed his ego too much and ran there mouths the last 14 months about how "he's a cowboy for life" "we have the money allocated" "todd gurley is the starting point".

They basically gave leverage to a player that had zero leverage. If this was a more tightly run ship like the Patriots Bellicheck/Kraft would of literally told the media 14 months ago "no we don't run are organization like this and are history shows it, there will be no negotiations next season" and that would of LITERALLY been the end of it. Jerrys literally over here talking about how "zekes my boy for life, we have the money ready and can't wait to pay him" and they wonder why he's holding out......

waldoputty

Reaction score
Nah they feed his ego too much and ran there mouths the last 14 months about how "he's a cowboy for life" "we have the money allocated" "todd gurley is the starting point".

They basically gave leverage to a player that had zero leverage. If this was a more tightly run ship like the Patriots Bellicheck/Kraft would of literally told the media 14 months ago "no we don't run are organization like this and are history shows it, there will be no negotiations next season" and that would of LITERALLY been the end of it.

the player still has no leverage.
they are negotiating against themselves.
if they will grow a pair, all they have to do is pull the offer and say there is no negotiation until next season.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
His 2019 salary was not guaranteed. He was set to make 4 mill in salary and we released him. No one takes over a vetetan's contract. He immediately became a free agent.

It isn't a bad analogy. Really, it more suggests you don't understand NFL contracts.
Me like someone already told you you don't understand contracts. I totally understand the contract. I asked a question I didn't make a statement. LMAO but make no mistake about this. They definitely need to take over the contract it just doesn't get null and void

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry is a fool caving in to Zeke. He's committing the same mistakes he did by starting to overpay during the early years of the salary cap during the mid-90s by overpaying for Deion and other key players while negating other good core players.

Tussinman

Reaction score
the player still has no leverage.
they are negotiating against themselves.
if they will grow a pair, all they have to do is pull the offer and say there is no negotiation until next season.
Nah baby this is the art of the deal (great book by the way). They showed too much interest from the start so they've already lost (rookie mistake). You never show your hand before it's dealt.

They've tried 5 or 6 times to negotiate this offseason and have inquired zero about trades. They aren't serious about letting him go and he knows this. Front office is literally a bunch of clowns which is why a guy with zero leverage is about to clean house

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

They basically gave leverage to a player that had zero leverage. If this was a more tightly run ship like the Patriots Bellicheck/Kraft would of literally told the media 14 months ago "no we don't run are organization like this and are history shows it, there will be no negotiations next season" and that would of LITERALLY been the end of it. Jerrys literally over here talking about how "zekes my boy for life, we have the money ready and can't wait to pay him" and they wonder why he's holding out......
Preach!!!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No one forced Hurns to sign a deal that did not guarantee every penny of every year in his contract. Dallas cut Hurns after a year because the contract that Hurns signed allowed for it to happen.

Literally every NFL contract is structured that way. Don't act like he's made some mistake or would have been able to get a fully guaranteed deal.

Cowboys did not honor the deal the team signed.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Not out loud their not, as the forum board was over rife with members "kicking on him" long before his injury mishap& while I know the former #17 got "done dirty" by the F.O. as they'd unceremoniously pretty much "broke it off in his casing-liner" while he was obviously of the personal inclination that his currently established contract was "off" the table in regards to renegotiating it,or restructuring it,which he was well within his rights of sound reasoning in doing so( IMO, ,,,& ya, they flat-out ****ed him over ,by floating him on down stream)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Me like someone already told you you don't understand contracts. I totally understand the contract. I asked a question I didn't make a statement. LMAO but make no mistake about this. They definitely need to take over the contract it just doesn't get null and void

You literally have no idea, do you?

He was set to earn 5 million here. We terminated his contract.

He signed a deal with Chicago for 3 million.

If they took over his deal, where's the missing 2 mill? (Hint: it is gone because they didn't take over his deal)

waldoputty

Reaction score
Nah baby this is the art of the deal (great book by the way). They showed too much interest from the start so they've already lost (rookie mistake). You never show your hand before it's dealt.

They've tried 5 or 6 times to negotiate this offseason and have inquired zero about trades. They aren't serious about letting him go and he knows this. Front office is literally a bunch of clowns

but they could do a trade right now for a rb that is proven but 2nd/3rd tier.
it would be better to lose some draft capital than to set a bad precedent with this type of negotiations.
and they simply do not need zeke for the 1st 3 games, and zeke would only make a minor difference in win-loss for the 10 games.