News: Now this is how you handle malcontents who don’t honor the contract they signed

JBond

Reaction score
Should Zeke be asked to return 6.4 million of his guarantee for refusing to play the last 2 years of his contract?

16 million divided by 5 is 3.2 million a year.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Any players are allowed to hold out. It’s part of being a human.

Being allowed to do something means nothing for either side.

this isn’t slavery. Players sell services to owners who sell tickets to us regular guys.
And you were trying to tell others they don't understand honor...smh.

Teams offer employment UP TO the length of the contract. The players agree to perform the work, at the owners discretion, for that length of time for the agreed pay. The teams pay IN ADVANCE and offer guarantees as a commitment to the player, regardless of the players performance or team's continued need.

The team makes an up front commitment. The player gets advance payment for services. The team honors the contract up front. It's then up to the player to honor the playing part, if the team desires.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Who cares? He's gonna get paid regardless what all the naysayers say around here. I wonder how many of those that are against him are gonna stop cheering? Some of you act like it's your money! Lol!!!
If he's going to get paid regardless, then he should have been in camp....if he held out next year, I'd have more respect for his action but when he has two years left on a deal and his off field problems, some we probably don't even know about....He's quickly showing he's an "I" type player, only cares about himself and not the team.....We've had a few of those aleady over the last twenty years and where did that get the Cowboys.......I like how San Diego's GM is handling Gordon, go try to seek a trade and see if some team is dumb enough to pay you what you think you should be in a devaluating position in todays game because we're not offering you a new contract....he's in his fifth year option, he's going to get an awakening very soon, he can sit and leave almost 6 million left for this year on his contact!

superonyx

Reaction score
And they can do that but if the team refuses to give them a new contract then they have to give up money under their old deal and at best you get a new deal under the teams terms because you were not a free agent.

They agreed to all of this during the CBA so the players were on board with Rookie contracts and Zeke being a top 5 pick still makes him one of the highest paid players at his position.
Zeke was in high school when the old players agreed to that. So he had no choice. And please don’t go down this 2nd grade path about how he didn’t have to play football.

Cmac

Reaction score
Because we're Dallas Cowboys fans not fans of some player who was here a year or in Zeke's case a moron who holds the team hoatage.
…..can you add fickled to that while Jerry ain't go a ring or come close since the 90s.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's going to get paid regardless, then he should have been in camp....if he held out next year, I'd have more respect for his action but when he has two years left on a deal and his off field problems, some we probably don't even know about....He's quickly showing he's an "I" type player, only cares about himself and not the team.....We've had a few of those aleady over the last twenty years and where did that get the Cowboys.......I like how San Diego's GM is handling Gordon, go try to seek a trade and see if some team is dumb enough to pay you what you think you should be in a devaluating position in todays game because we're not offering you a new contract....he's in his fifth year option, he's going to get an awakening very soon, he can sit and leave almost 6 million left for this year on his contact!
Go buy a Chargers jersey. See ya!

JBond

Reaction score
Cry all you want about the CBA.
Keep sounding like an idiot (we know you will) while Zeke signs a contract making him the highest paid RB in NFL history.

you were saying about him having no rights to hold out.
Lol. You can't help yourself. I get it. You struggle with numbers.

You babbling on about slaves and telling me I would be on my knees is quality stuff. Keep it up punk. There is a reason we are laughing at you, not with you.

You are also a liar. I never said he cannot hold out. Your version of reality is screwed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ignorant? What does me or you understanding the cap has to do with anything! Are you signing the checks??? Lol!! Some people take this crap way to serious! I laugh at people like you! No offense! Lol!!!

Dude, you’re on a forum arguing about it and you’re using no common sense.

If you’re laughing at people like me you’re literally laughing at yourself because you are taking it serious enough to go out of your way and post about it.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Jerry is handling the situation the best way. These players are not inmates so that is a garbage statement made by a re person and anyone that agrees with such a statement is trash themselves

Sydla

Reaction score
Zeke was in high school when the old players agreed to that. So he had no choice. And please don’t go down this 2nd grade path about how he didn’t have to play football.

Except that's precisely the case.

By agreeing to be a NFL player and becoming part of the players association, he agrees to follow the laws and rules of the collectively bargained agreement between the players and owners. That's how it works in ANY situation where there is a CBA. A person can't join a union and then not abide by the rules simply because they weren't there when the CBA was ratified.

That's just silly.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, you’re on a forum arguing about it and you’re using no common sense.

If you’re laughing at people like me you’re literally laughing at yourself because you are taking it serious enough to go out of your way and post about it.
I have no problem laughing at myself. I pulled that stick outta my butt a long time ago! Salud!

superonyx

Reaction score
Lol. You can't help yourself. I get it. You struggle with numbers.

You babbling on about slaves and telling me I would be on my knees is quality stuff. Keep it up punk. There is a reason we are laughing at you, not with you.
WE? Who is we?

dude you have over 7000 post and only about 700 anyone found even remotely interesting.

I’m surprised you are not so embarrassed that you start over with a new screen name. I mean ******** son.

I mean how does that even happen?

superonyx

Reaction score

By agreeing to be a NFL player and becoming part of the players association, he agrees to follow the laws and rules of the collectively bargained agreement between the players and owners. That's how it works in ANY situation where there is a CBA. A person can't join a union and then not abide by the rules simply because they weren't there when the CBA was ratified.

That's just silly.
You didn’t say anything meaningful. What is silly is posters making the argument that Zeke agreed to these rules...like he had a real choice.

J12B

Reaction score
Again. The "honor the contract" thing is total garbage.

For example, we signed Hurns to a two year 12 mill deal. We cut him after a year.

Yet no one is crying about how the team didn't honor the contract.

The contract stipulated that year 2 was no guarantee.

If he didn't perform or produce at the level that he was being compensated for then the team had the option to release him.

In reality, Hurns got paid like $7 million for 20 or so catches for one season.

That's why no one is crying for Hurns.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

That's just silly.

Imagine not being able to figure this out..

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should Zeke be asked to return 6.4 million of his guarantee for refusing to play the last 2 years of his contract?

16 million divided by 5 is 3.2 million a year.
Sure. He'll have about 54 million left when he signs his new contract.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Melvin Gordon is a decent RB. He’s like a Lamar Miller who was lost in week 3 of preseason. Nothing special, and the Chargers know it.