OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

Adreme

Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
Lance is nowhere near the runner Lamar is in either of his first 2 years. To say he is about as good of a passer as 2018 Lamar is fine (note this is the year BEFORE he won MVP) is fine but at year 4 does not bode well for his ability to be an NFL QB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lance is nowhere near the runner Lamar is in either of his first 2 years. To say he is about as good of a passer as 2018 Lamar is fine (note this is the year BEFORE he won MVP) is fine but at year 4 does not bode well for his ability to be an NFL QB.
Lance is very mobile.

Look at his NCAA stats also.

Adreme

Reaction score
Lance is very mobile.

Look at his NCAA stats also.
Yes and it is nowhere near Lamar in terms of mobility. He is nowhere near as fast as Lamar nor as powerful as Allen. It is not even close on either front.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Cool. We aren't talking about the draft because we don't know if any picks are hits yet.

For the life of me, I don't understand this board's obsession with talking about how every other team is better lol
Other teams try. GB added a very good running back. Philly and Detroit made sure their top receivers are signed and content. GB and Detroit made firm decisions on their QBs. SF gave their dynamic RB as raise in pay, Philly took a chance (albeit a big one) on a potentially very effective RB. The Cowboys are comparatively unsure what they want to do. If this kind of turmoil was a good way to run an NFL franchise every team would be in circumstances similar to Dallas. Cowboys fans‘ concern is warranted.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yes and it is nowhere near Lamar in terms of mobility. He is nowhere near as fast as Lamar nor as powerful as Allen. It is not even close on either front.
Lance looked fast enough to me.

Dude is quick.

CWR

Reaction score
Cool. We aren't talking about the draft because we don't know if any picks are hits yet.

For the life of me, I don't understand this board's obsession with talking about how every other team is better lol
It's because we had obvious needs at RB and DT and sat on our hands. It's frustrating. You have a team who's won 12 games 3 straight years and it's still not worth taking a shot?

Adreme

Reaction score
Lance looked fast enough to me.

Dude is quick.
Trey Lance runs a 44.8-.9. Compared to other college athletes that makes him fairly fast, but in the NFL most players can run that He looks faster than most college athletes but that is about it. Lamar runs a 4.3. That is high end WR speed. That basically means he is faster than every defender and when you see him get going it shows that NO ONE can catch him. Lance is probably slightly faster than Josh Allen but without the ability to power through tackles. Your best bet is that he is Justin Fields as a runner. The problem is he is also Justin Fields as a passer. .

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It's because we had obvious needs at RB and DT and sat on our hands. It's frustrating. You have a team who's won 12 games 3 straight years and it's still not worth taking a shot?
They wanted LT1 and C1, plus DE/LB help.

2025 is all about RB1.

We are doing a quick rebuild with new and younger players.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Their run game sucked and their defense sucked.

They go out and sign Saquon, Gardner Johnson, Zack Baun, Devin White and Josh Huff. We not like them.
Their run game was actually pretty good. They just always decided to abandon it. People were crucifying Sirianni over it at various points throughout the season.

And Barkley is garbage. Always hurt. Relies on one big run a game to boost his YPC.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Their run game was actually pretty good. They just always decided to abandon it. People were crucifying Sirianni over it at various points throughout the season.

And Barkley is garbage. Always hurt. Relies on one big run a game to boost his YPC.
Yeah maybe I should say they didn’t run the ball enough and I always assumed it was to keep Swift fresh. Not entirely sure. But whatever the reason was they upgraded with Barkley. Barkley sucks in a Daniel Jones led offense. A little different in Philly whether the move works or not there at least was a attempt made.

CWR

Reaction score
They wanted LT1 and C1, plus DE/LB help.

2025 is all about RB1.

We are doing a quick rebuild with new and younger players.
I get it, but I'd rather it be all about WINNING this season. Conveniently enough the NFL has "free agency" to fill additional holes.

We're apparently too worried about the future to take a 3 year straight 12 win team and aggressively attempt to get over the hump.

Iago33

Reaction score
I get it, but I'd rather it be all about WINNING this season. Conveniently enough the NFL has "free agency" to fill additional holes.

We're apparently too worried about the future to take a 3 year straight 12 win team and aggressively attempt to get over the hump.
I honestly think Jerry realized neither McCarthy nor Dak can get us over the hump but he couldn’t get away from Dak’s contract this year and was too cheap to fire McCarthy before he got rid of Dak. Maybe I’m wrong