OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
:facepalm:

He will never do anything good in your very biased opinion.
I mean you’re right but at the same time I don’t think anyone has concerns of him throwing the football with no pass rush. At least I didn’t. I think preseason will give he a little more insight how much he’s progressed. These clips won’t do anything.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really think so?

I mean we have virtually nothing invested in Rush as a udfa and I'm not sure many think he's starting material.

But with Lance we've invested a 4th round pick and him turning into the #2 is important
I guess I should have put a laughing dog emoji....sorry! Lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean you’re right but at the same time I don’t think anyone has concerns of him throwing the football with no pass rush. At least I didn’t. I think preseason will give he a little more insight how much he’s progressed. These clips won’t do anything.
They show a lot. How he has progressed since the start of TC. Getting more accurate, putting the ball where it is supposed to be. Do what the coaches are wanting him to do.
That is what TC is for. Now will that translate into a real game. We will see soon.

I know what you are saying, but it does mean something. Of course we will get the, but it is against scrubs comments if he looks good.
If he looks bad, we will get, give him time, see improvements in the next game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They show a lot. How he has progressed since the start of TC. Getting more accurate, putting the ball where it is supposed to be. Do what the coaches are wanting him to do.
That is what TC is for. Now will that translate into a real game. We will see soon.

I know what you are saying, but it does mean something. Of course we will get the, but it is against scrubs comments if he looks good.
He checks a lot of boxes.

I agree with your post.

He needs to just play football.

But the coaches/jerry have to like what they have.

The kid is talented.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Maybe I overrated him coming in…he’s shown me so far what I saw in San Fran. Hopefully he can do this in preseason too.

Eightneight

Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
Unfortunately using that athleticism is what got him hurt and not available on game day for SF. Not being negative, I want to see the kid be successful but he's got a long way to go. Let's hope it "clicks" for him in the next year or two.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think he can play. Every compliment he gets from the coaches is of the "Your blind date has a great personality" variety.

plasticman

Reaction score
When you look at the examples, it is extremely rare when quarterbacks are actually allowed to "develop" before being thrown in.

I know of only two examples in which a future starting QB didn't throw a single pass in his first two seasons. They had the same Head Coach, Bill Parcells.

The two QB's are Tony Romo and Jeff Hostetler. The rest of these "developmental" QB's get tossed into games too soon as a result of some issues with the rest of teh QB's on the team.

Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson were supposed to be developmental and both started games their first season.

Trey Lance is developmental which means we shouldn't even be considering playing time until next season. He needs a full two seasons adjusting before he plays. It shouldn't be a problem. Lance is only 24 and this is his third season.

Tony Romo didn't throw a regulation NFL pass until his 4th season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately using that athleticism is what got him hurt and not available on game day for SF. Not being negative, I want to see the kid be successful but he's got a long way to go. Let's hope it "clicks" for him in the next year or two.
Sadly the only chance he will really get if Dak gets hurt. I said in an earlier post the kid needs to be a backup quarterback for a good offensive coordinator for a few years that has a plan for him. The problem is he has limited pass plays. The kid should have went to a division 1 college to develop his last season instead of staying at his college and playing 1 game. It cost the kid years of development.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they can’t use his athleticism. Defenses are geared to stop Dak. I remember when the Ravens finally benched Flacco for Lamar and went on a playoff run because teams were not ready for Lamar’s running. The one positive thing about Lance I hear from camp is he is a supreme athlete. By the way Lamar was more limited as a passer his first year then Lance is now.
We do not like to utilize any player to their full potential.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
When you look at the examples, it is extremely rare when quarterbacks are actually allowed to "develop" before being thrown in.

I know of only two examples in which a future starting QB didn't throw a single pass in his first two seasons. They had the same Head Coach, Bill Parcells.

The two QB's are Tony Romo and Jeff Hostetler. The rest of these "developmental" QB's get tossed into games too soon as a result of some issues with the rest of teh QB's on the team.

Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson were supposed to be developmental and both started games their first season.

Trey Lance is developmental which means we shouldn't even be considering playing time until next season. He needs a full two seasons adjusting before he plays. It shouldn't be a problem. Lance is only 24 and this is his third season.

Lance isnt a rookie.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Sadly the only chance he will really get if Dak gets hurt. I said in an earlier post the kid needs to be a backup quarterback for a good offensive coordinator for a few years that has a plan for him. The problem is he has limited pass plays. The kid should have went to a division 1 college to develop his last season instead of staying at his college and playing 1 game. It cost the kid years of development.
The broken leg set him back.

But he isn’t a rookie.

He just needs more reps with the 1s.

plasticman

Reaction score
Lance isnt a rookie.
I know and i realize that he's even started a few games. However, those games indicated that he wasn't ready yet.

I'm thinking in terms of a fresh new start beginning last season. Just start over from scratch and develop him. He may be the most physically gifted "project" in the NFL and if they can develop him, it would be worthwhile.

However, he does have to prove that he is improving via the preseason games. That's how Romo was able to hang around long enough to earn a starting job.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Funny fans think preseason are real games.

Chasing6

Reaction score

3rd overall pick is not supposed to be developmental.

By the way this is year 4.

plasticman

Reaction score
3rd overall pick is not supposed to be developmental.

By the way this is year 4.
Yes, but he is and should have been considered developmental by the 49ers.

How does any team figure that a 21 year old with a total of 19 college games is NFL ready? He only played in one game the season before he was drafted.

The very first entry on weaknesses in his draft profile is one word...."raw".

He was the 3rd overall pick due to the potential of his athleticism but it still needed to be cultivated.

It could be that things don't work out but i think it was at least worth a try. If it does work out then it will be historic and Jerry probably shouldn't hesitate to add this real accomplishment to an otherwise exaggerated legacy. This would absolutely add legitimacy.