OC Schottenheimer update on Trey Lance

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Funny fans can’t accept that they mean something.
What do they mean?
I don't think the games mean anything.
It is for player evaluation for lower-level players. Guys trying to make the team or improve their status.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Dak is a top quarterback in this league. Trey should stay and learn from Dak . The kid needs to develop. Learn the offense and then at 27 years of age he can show who he is.
Learn from dak? Show who he is? What is Dak? Don't top Qb win playoffs?

Oh wait I get it...it's a team game, right? Top QB's make themselves.

Or do they?

I dunno. People like you confuse me so much!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the next draft after that 1-15 season, they didnt have the # 1 pick ??
Correct. Well they had the trade from the Vikings they used for Emmitt. I believe you mentioned that. But I believe they traded up to get the pick for Maryland in 1991 as the 1st pick. Traded with NE.

Colts took Jeff George with the 1st pick in the 1990 draft Since Dallas forfeited it for selecting Steve Walsh.

I just looked it up. Google 1990 NFL Draft and 1991 NFL Draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do they mean?
I don't think the games mean anything.
It is for player evaluation for lower-level players. Guys trying to make the team or improve their status.
That is what I meant. They do mean something.

IMO the fans wanting to be negative say they do not mean anything. So they can make excuses against certain players.

They do mean something to the fans. As they can see if a player is doing what he is supposed to do. If they understand what the coaches are trying to see.
Which most fans do not know. But the average fan can still see if a player is doing decent.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe they did, and ended up taking Russel Maryland.
1990 they forfeited the 1st overall pick. Since they took Walsh in the 1989 supplemental draft.
1991 they trade up with NE who had the #1 overall pick to take Maryland.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't need a coach to tell me what I'm seeing. I'll see it in the preseason games and judge accordingly. I don't care about what the coach says.

mardwin

Reaction score
I don’t think Lance has anything to do with Dak’s extension. Lance was basically an upgrade over Will Grier. The Cowboys took a flier on him.
Who gives up a 4th round pick + $5M per yr salary to upgrade an emergency QB spot?

The front office hopes for the #3 pick in the 2021 draft to show some potential and upside to move up from Dak. If Trey Lance has a strong pre-season, Dak is not getting an extension in Dallas.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Who gives up a 4th round pick + $5M per yr salary to upgrade an emergency QB spot?

The front office hopes for the #3 pick in the 2021 draft to show some potential and upside to move up from Dak. If Trey Lance has a strong pre-season, Dak is not getting an extension in Dallas.
This is how dumb GM Jethro is. Every knows Trance needs playing time. Please explain how he was ever going to get playing time in Dallas?

mardwin

Reaction score
This is how dumb GM Jethro is. Every knows Trance needs playing time. Please explain how he was ever going to get playing time in Dallas?
GM Jethro had doubts about Dak but had no contingency plan. He was forced to pay him 40M when they knew he wasn't a championship-caliber QB. The 49ers made the call, and GM Jethro saw an outlet to move on from Dak with a 1st round talent for a 4th round pick. Dak's extension rests on Trey Lance's shoulders, it is Trey's job (next season) to win or loose. If Trey Lance sucks in pre-season, Dak get his money from Dallas.

Chasing6

Reaction score
GM Jethro had doubts about Dak but had no contingency plan. He was forced to pay him 40M when they knew he wasn't a championship-caliber QB. The 49ers made the call, and GM Jethro saw an outlet to move on from Dak with a 1st round talent for a 4th round pick. Dak's extension rests on Trey Lance's shoulders, it is Trey's job (next season) to win or loose. If Trey Lance sucks in pre-season, Dak get his money from Dallas.
That still does not explain how Trance gets playing time.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's the same way rookies in the 1990s used to get playing time... in the pre-season which is now.
So you believe preseason in the 90's is the same as it is today? Where have you been the last 30 years.

mardwin

Reaction score
So you believe preseason in the 90's is the same as it is today? Where have you been the last 30 years.
Trey wasn't going to bench a 40M QB. He wasn't brought in to be the starter last year or this year but in 2025. Your GM was looking ahead.