Offensive scheme is changing

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Offensive scheme is changing. I hope so, but only thing that might be changing is the names, not the playbook. I hope I'm wrong since the season hasn't even started.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Jerry hinted at it during one of the post draft pressers. He mentioned using more WR’s and more RPO plays where Dak may run the ball more. I think they realize that Dez and his I’m the #1 WR give me the ball offense doesn’t work. So look for more multiple receiver sets and more RPO plays.

It wasn't Dez's "give me the ball" offense. It was the Cowboys offense, of which Dez was a key member. You make it sound like Dez was the cause of the problem because he wanted to make plays to help the team.

Yes, the Cowboys are changing their offensive philosophy, and that is a big reason why Dez was waived. But he wasn't the cause of the problem. Stephen Jones explicitly said that there are less than a dozen true #1 receivers in the NFL, and the Cowboys still believe Dez is one of them. They are CHOOSING to go in a different direction, because the NFL is changing. Also, a big reason for their choice is that they need the money tied up in a #1 receiver to pay their offensive line - and THAT is an even bigger reason they are making the change. They are more committed to being a running team, now that Romo has retired. They believe this fits the skill set of their younger players, and are making a change to adapt to that new reality. This is not a knock on Dez (or it shouldn't be). It is simply a change in philosophy, and the truth is that NONE of us know if this is going to work.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
and they know Dak is not going to beat you through the air. He protects the ball well and makes few bad turnovers. Our best bet is to shore up the offensive line and run the ball. I think it was money too.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Yeah but it worked equally well when Dez was out. Dez and he clicked really well in that GB game but that seemed to be it.
Look at Dez stats the last 8 games (minus the finale). Those numbers were on par/if not better than his 2014 all pro season. This includes that horrid game in NY too

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry hinted at it during one of the post draft pressers. He mentioned using more WR’s and more RPO plays where Dak may run the ball more. I think they realize that Dez and his I’m the #1 WR give me the ball offense doesn’t work. So look for more multiple receiver sets and more RPO plays.

mr Rock--- i totally agree...i believe cowboy coaching felt Dez was in reality stunting growth of Dak...and several other teams are having great success not using an elite #1 receiver...i am finally getting over my offseason depression of last year and getting excited of what our potential could be this year...this was an especially difficult year for me as cowboy fan...even much more painful than our 4-12 in 2015.....i dont know why a sport team has such an impact on my heart but its always been that way since the 70's

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It wasn't Dez's "give me the ball" offense. It was the Cowboys offense, of which Dez was a key member. You make it sound like Dez was the cause of the problem because he wanted to make plays to help the team.

Yes, the Cowboys are changing their offensive philosophy, and that is a big reason why Dez was waived. But he wasn't the cause of the problem. Stephen Jones explicitly said that there are less than a dozen true #1 receivers in the NFL, and the Cowboys still believe Dez is one of them. They are CHOOSING to go in a different direction, because the NFL is changing. Also, a big reason for their choice is that they need the money tied up in a #1 receiver to pay their offensive line - and THAT is an even bigger reason they are making the change. They are more committed to being a running team, now that Romo has retired. They believe this fits the skill set of their younger players, and are making a change to adapt to that new reality. This is not a knock on Dez (or it shouldn't be). It is simply a change in philosophy, and the truth is that NONE of us know if this is going to work.
Dez was definitely the problem in my opinion. I’ve played a lot of team sports and when you have a drama queen like Dez on the team it affects the rest of the team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
mr Rock--- i totally agree...i believe cowboy coaching felt Dez was in reality stunting growth of Dak...and several other teams are having great success not using an elite #1 receiver...i am finally getting over my offseason depression of last year and getting excited of what our potential could be this year...this was an especially difficult year for me as cowboy fan...even much more painful than our 4-12 in 2015.....i dont know why a sport team has such an impact on my heart but its always been that way since the 70's
You’re a great fan.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I love how it was Dez stunting Dak's growth rather than Dak just being bad last year. He had accuracy issues, poor footwork and missed a ton of reads. Somehow that's the fault of Dez? Makes no sense.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
with Dez jumping around acting crazy, it didn't help Dak's tunnel vision. aka "the glitch". *sarcasm*

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Look at Dez stats the last 8 games (minus the finale). Those numbers were on par/if not better than his 2014 all pro season. This includes that horrid game in NY too

Okay. then last year happened.

I don't hate Dez and I do think he has more left in the tank. I just don't think he fits here.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The offense is being changed to a modified RPO with an emphasis on stretching the field both horizontally and vertically because teams were “smothering” us by stacking the box, as Stephen said.

To do this you need really good route running WRs and you need speed. That is where Gallop and Austin come in.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Okay. then last year happened.

I don't hate Dez and I do think he has more left in the tank. I just don't think he fits here.
Thats not what my comment was about.

The offense was fine in 2016. We were basically a top 5 offense, with Dez, and he was putting up all-pro numbers for about half the season. Now 1 poor season and the offense didnt work here? LOL

The length a lot of you go to blame everyone but the qb

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thats not what my comment was about.

The offense was fine in 2016. We were basically a top 5 offense, with Dez, and he was putting up all-pro numbers for about half the season. Now 1 poor season and the offense didnt work here? LOL

The length a lot of you go to blame everyone but the qb

I've been very critical of Dak. His inability to place deep balls is the main reason I don't think Dez fits.

Daillest88

Reaction score
The offense is being changed to a modified RPO with an emphasis on stretching the field both horizontally and vertically because teams were “smothering” us by stacking the box, as Stephen said.

To do this you need really good route running WRs and you need speed. That is where Gallop and Austin come in.

and Cedric Wilson, Hurns can run good routes too, This is good tho, NO film on this will give us a huge advantage, this line and our running game is already to much to worry about

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I will miss him and run after him yelling "erod, erod, don't go erod".

I get what he's saying and that's why I spend the most time with SEC with teams that run more traditional offenses, the spread is OK as a side but not the main course.

If a team has a QB that can run like Dak can, why not? Yes, injury is a concern but so is getting hammered in the pocket, the game comes with risk. And he's one of the best sliders in the game.

And Phil, why be so mean?
Im not mean it just comes off that way online when tone, facial expressions, etc aren't visible and just seeing the words in text form.