Offensive scheme is changing

kramskoi

Reaction score
Not about being on the bench. Dez even as bad as he was last year was still our best receiver. You didn't have to put him on the bench to be successful. You didn't have to FORCE the football to him to be successful either. Its a silly narrative that needs to die out. Cowboys failed last season because EVERYONE sucked. From Dak to Dez and even to Zeke. This offense was poor.
They didn't have a real plan when Smith went down...made poor adjustments to boot. They didn't have plan when Romo went down...Weeden? Prescott had eight games where he threw for less than 200 yds. Not the stuff of championship seasons. O-line issues definitely contributed, along with Elliot's eventual loss to suspension. This gives one hope for 2018, but receiver turnover is a real concern. Prescott had trouble syncing with Bryant. Will he have a better symbiosis with Hurns, who is reported to not be a great route runner? Some real question marks for the passing game...but as long as Elliot and the line stay intact, the Cowboys can hope to at least return to the playoffs. Beyond that, who knows.

cern

Reaction score
We’ll see.. I don’t see these coaches putting us in the best position for success.

I expect a lack of big plays from our offense and it will be up to Zeke and the defense.
Stephen has demanded changes on both sides of the ball. The hc oc and dc have been put on notice.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not about being on the bench. Dez even as bad as he was last year was still our best receiver. You didn't have to put him on the bench to be successful. You didn't have to FORCE the football to him to be successful either. Its a silly narrative that needs to die out. Cowboys failed last season because EVERYONE sucked. From Dak to Dez and even to Zeke. This offense was poor.

*Coaches* did nothing to counter the press man single coverage on Williams and Dez. Offensive coaching was a clown show last year.

Williams and Dez have their limitations. So did Dak.

I put the failure in that order. Coaches, Wideouts, Dak.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
I keep reading the interpretations of our offense and while I really see a RPO like we all do, I am not really sure the idea they are going other than staying true to the run game with Zeke, a beast like Bo, and Keith Smith that can catch and run like a fullback should. Brings be back to old style football. That gets me excited.... But then there are all these WR's that are better for slot or WR2's..... Seems we are gonna have a lot of options to throw the ball as well. If the scheme really does change, we have so many options, that a defense will not know what to game plan for unless we tip our hand and do it every game. If we can stay unpredictable, we may have an advantage every game and in reality we have the weapons and the line to do so.

What I love more than that, is we have a defense that is forming here. I still loath not getting that mauling 1tech and FS like most here, but I truly believe if we get a fatty for now, safety and maybe an elite 1tech will come next year. Sorry but I think since we lost out on a war daddy like Vea we decided to exclude the 1tech this year. Our luck with FS has been documented for years now. Hence why so many want ET. Including our staff if I am reading things correctly. I just hope we get a true 1tech for camp and see where the cards fall. If he is beat out by others then fine, no harm no foul. but please bring in the true 1tech to compete.

Other than that, I think we did well..... I truly hope we change a few things with the playbook. This is a run first offense that can open up a lot of passes. It is up to Dak to prove he can hurt you in the air by spreading out the defense and kill the 8-9 man boxes we were seeing..... I truly hope all these WR's can do such.....

waving monkey

Reaction score
Until this entire coaching staff and scouting team is purged, they will never win anything. The scheme is more outdated than Emory and Henry school of offense.
well this is a new level of hate congratulation. It's now also the scouting department.
Maybe the building have been contaminated and should be burned to the ground
that would validate as a true blue hater.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I hope! I think Dak’s success Yr 1 was due to the fact that as a rookie he just went through his progressions and found the open guy. Last year he let Dez get in his ear and there were many forced balls. Teams also adjusted. I’d like to see it spread and I’d like to see some more short hitches since we’ve been collecting slot guys!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
*Coaches* did nothing to counter the press man single coverage on Williams and Dez. Offensive coaching was a clown show last year.

Williams and Dez have their limitations. So did Dak.

I put the failure in that order. Coaches, Wideouts, Dak.
As do I. I don't know if it's arrogance or stupidity with these coaches. I guess it's a mix of both.

Flamma

Reaction score
Funny that that offense with dez worked really well in 2016

I like Dez, always have. But the offense in 2016 worked fine with or without Dez. Dez was not a contributing factor to the Cowboys success in 2016. He was huge in 2014.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I like Dez, always have. But the offense in 2016 worked fine with or without Dez. Dez was not a contributing factor to the Cowboys success in 2016. He was huge in 2014.
This is flat out wrong.

Go re-watch the:

Vikings
Packers (Playoffs)
Steelers
Commanders (1st game)

And tell me Dez wasnt a reason we won or had a chance to win

Snipers762

Reaction score
Still don't get why so much hate against Dez? The offense was built for the run, not the pass. Dallas offense was 2nd in rush attempts and damn near at the bottom in pass attempts. Zeke missed 6 games and was still in the top 10 in rushing yards, attempts, and TDs. The passing game was deficient because of Dak, not Dez. Dak needs the run game to set up the play-action and boots which help him get better looks and easier reads. If his mechanics were better that would help his inconsistent accuracy.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is flat out wrong.

Go re-watch the:

Vikings
Packers (Playoffs)
Steelers
Commanders (1st game)

And tell me Dez wasnt a reason we won or had a chance to win

What I am saying is we didn't skip a beat without him when he was injured. The passing game was spread out to more WRs and overall offense focused on Zeke. Dez did not have the same connection to Dak as he did Romo, and we did just fine. Now I'll retract saying not a contributing factor because that was a bit of a stretch. But he wasn't the force he was in 2014.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not a big college fan but I think you may be in the minority here. Some people enjoy college even more than the NFL.

I enjoy College Ball more but not because of the Offense. I enjoy watching Rivalry games, more so, in the College game. If you bring that Offense to the NFL, that is a lessor product and then, why do you watch the Pros over College? NFL would be stupid to go down this path IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I enjoy College Ball more but not because of the Offense. I enjoy watching Rivalry games, more so, in the College game. If you bring that Offense to the NFL, that is a lessor product and then, why do you watch the Pros over College? NFL would be stupid to go down this path IMO.
Some people like watching the product though. You can like the rivalry games but at the same time you are investing in the product that's on the field. IMO, it's impossible for the NFL to go to what the NCAA is simply off of talent alone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I keep reading the interpretations of our offense and while I really see a RPO like we all do, I am not really sure the idea they are going other than staying true to the run game with Zeke, a beast like Bo, and Keith Smith that can catch and run like a fullback should. Brings be back to old style football. That gets me excited.... But then there are all these WR's that are better for slot or WR2's..... Seems we are gonna have a lot of options to throw the ball as well. If the scheme really does change, we have so many options, that a defense will not know what to game plan for unless we tip our hand and do it every game. If we can stay unpredictable, we may have an advantage every game and in reality we have the weapons and the line to do so.

What I love more than that, is we have a defense that is forming here. I still loath not getting that mauling 1tech and FS like most here, but I truly believe if we get a fatty for now, safety and maybe an elite 1tech will come next year. Sorry but I think since we lost out on a war daddy like Vea we decided to exclude the 1tech this year. Our luck with FS has been documented for years now. Hence why so many want ET. Including our staff if I am reading things correctly. I just hope we get a true 1tech for camp and see where the cards fall. If he is beat out by others then fine, no harm no foul. but please bring in the true 1tech to compete.

Other than that, I think we did well..... I truly hope we change a few things with the playbook. This is a run first offense that can open up a lot of passes. It is up to Dak to prove he can hurt you in the air by spreading out the defense and kill the 8-9 man boxes we were seeing..... I truly hope all these WR's can do such.....
Dak has already shown that ability.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Dallas wants to continue to be a balanced offense, running the ball and trying the spread it around in the air off play action.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
you do realize that Dez only caught 50 catches that year for 796 yards?

Same crappy catch rate, but much better yards per target.

To be fair for the comparison, no Zeke for 6 games and a banged up line were surely not helping anyone's stats in 2017 compared to 2016.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Jerry hinted at it during one of the post draft pressers. He mentioned using more WR’s and more RPO plays where Dak may run the ball more. I think they realize that Dez and his I’m the #1 WR give me the ball offense doesn’t work. So look for more multiple receiver sets and more RPO plays.

How about some bunch formations, and NE/Denver/No type legal pick plays...

Especially with Austin in the mix now they could be very dangerous.....