**Official** 53 Man Roster Projection **merged**

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
With the training camp roughly a week old and a week out from the first preseason game, I thought I'd post a 53 man roster as well as some thoughts on bubble players.

QB: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden
-As I have been saying all offseason, there is no compelling reason to keep Dustin Vaughan on the active roster unless he beats Weeden, and if that happens Weeden needs to go. Neither are very good now or have much long term potential.
RB: Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar
-This could change if McFadden gets reinjured, but who ever comes in to replace him needs to be a good receiver out of the back field and a good pass protector.
FB: Tyler Clutts
-Really just a matter of if the team keeps a FB, and I think they do.
WR: Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Devin Street, Lucky Whitehead
-I think Lucky Whitehead gets the job, but Reggie Dunn could get it as well. Both seem to show good potential as slot receivers, but the best return man likely gets the job.
TE: Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna, Geoff Swaim
-I think Hanna's ability on special teams makes him to hard to deal away or cut, and I hope Dallas would not have given up a future 6th rounder for a player that they don't want a few months later. But I would say Swaim will be one of the inactive players barring an injury.
OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, Laurence Gibson
-I think Chaz Green ends up on the PUP list and possibly IR for this season, which opens the door for Gibson. Otherwise Green makes it and Gibson is on the PS, assuming he clears waivers. Either way the 4th tackle will be an inactive. Weems could be an inactive as well if La'el is the swing tackle.
OG: Ron Leary, Zach Martin, La'el Collins
-None of these are bubble players, but I will say that Leary holds off Collins for a while and maybe in the end, Collins replaces Free (due to injury) before he beats out Leary. Going to be hard to activate both Leary and La'el on game days.
C: Travis Frederick, Mackenzie Bernadeau
-None of the other centers has a real chance of beating Bernadeau

DE: Greg Hardy (Jack Crawford until week 4), Demarcus Lawrence, Jeremy Mincey, Randy Gregory, Ryan Russell.

-I think Crawford makes the team, but ultimately gets cut in favor of Ryan Russell, who has had a pretty good camp so far. But Russell would be inactive barring injury to someone else.
DT: Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain, Ben Gardner, Ken Bishop
-Marinelli values position flex, so that's why I think Gardner finds a way on the team, while the last DT spot is likely a battle between Bishop and Whaley. I think we have more 3 tech options in Mincey, Russell and Gardner, so if it's close I think Bishop gets the nod over Whaley. Bishop would be the inactive in this group.
LB: Sean Lee, Rolondo McClain (Jasper Brinkley until week 4), Anthony Hitchens, Andrew Gachkar, Damien Wilson, Kyle Wilbur.
-In the end, I think we only keep 6 LBers and Wilbur's ability on special teams gets him the nod over Brinkley. Financially, it makes less sense, considering the investment we made in Brinkley, but keep in mind we signed him before we resigned McClain. And Hitchens has been getting the MLB reps with McClain out. Brinkley is clearly the #3 MLB and while Wilbur is not as good in a base defense, he makes a bigger impact on special teams.
CB: Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr, Byron Jones, Morris Claiborne, Corey White, Tyler Patmon
-Not sure who the inactive player her is. Likely Patmon, since White is the better special teams player and there seems to be a specific role for Jones and White in mind.
S: JJ Wilcox, Barry Church, Danny McCray, Jeff Heath
-I do think all 4 make the roster, but either McCray or Heath will be inactive on game days. And considering that, one could be cut in favor of a LB (Jasper Brinkley), DL (Jack Crawford) or a QB (Dustin Vaughan), but I don't think any of the three warrant the move.

K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
LS: LP LaDouceur

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Swap Crawford and Gardner since Crawford has been spending most of his reps at DT.

Definitely a possibility, I just think as Gardner gets more comfortable, he will separate himself from Crawford.

I am still not convinced with Devin street,he just cannot get separation whenever i have seen him. We would be wise to see if one of Farmer,goodley or Dunn has any potential.

The coaching staff seems to like tall WRs on the outside and the small shifty guys in the slot, so I don't see Street being cut after 1 season. I can definitely see us drafting his replacement (and Terrence Williams' eventual replacement) next year, but I think he's pretty safe now.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I really hope we upgrade the Punter position after this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Only going to comment at QB:
While I agree neither Weeden nor Vaughn look like they'll be the replacement for TR I would still carry 3 QBs.

This is a SB contender and you need 3 guys who know the scheme very well.
Much easier to teach 5th WR his role later in the year than it is a QB.

I wouldn't skate light at QB. If they like someone else more than Vaughn so be it, but it needs to be 3.

conner01

Reaction score
I think you are right that the bottom WR needs to be a return guy
Kinda surprised we are seeing other guys like Beasley there
I agree with the fact Weeden and Vaughn are wasting roster spots but I do think we keep 3 qb's
Not convinced we keep 4 te's
For the most part a very good job
I don't think Brinkley gets cut because RO is not dependable and he is a vet so you have to pay him for the season
I think there is really 4 or 5 spots up for grabs on this roster. The rest are pretty much locks but there are a few guys who have a shot at pushing for a roster spot and WR is one of those spots

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Ben Gardener is light years ahead of Russell . Russel has looked like the 2nd worst DL. If they keep Russell it's simply because they invested more. The guy can't play (right now).

DTown214

Reaction score
I agree with everything except I'd swap Geoff Swaim for Jasper Brinkley (keeping him there permanently even after the Ro-Mac suspension), and then Jeff Heath for a 3rd QB. No point in keeping Swaim, he won't see the field at all. Jeff Heath isn't an NFL quality player... play B-Jones some at safety if we have to for depth. Then I think just to be safe we should carry a 3rd QB... apparently they like Vaughn's progression.

conner01

Reaction score
I am still not convinced with Devin street,he just cannot get separation whenever i have seen him.We would be wise to see if one of Farmer,goodley or Dunn has any potential.

It's still early in the process and special teams is going to be huge in the bottom of the WR roster, but so far I'm more intrigued with the potential of the guys below street than I am with him
It's still early but there seems to be more potential with some of those guys

reddyuta

Reaction score
Ben Gardener is light years ahead of Russell . Russel has looked like the 2nd worst DL. If they keep Russell it's simply because they invested more. The guy can't play (right now).

i have read some positive reports on him,lets hope he does well in preseason.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
1 more obs ,Jack Crawford is clearly ahead of Bishop,Coleman,Russell , and Gardener , if we're going strictly by performance.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
i have read some positive reports on him,lets hope he does well in preseason.

I hope so but I see him as a practice squad guy. He looks uncomfortable and like he's learning a new position. After the play is over he's lackadaisical , and Rod just stares him down(I observed this several times) I don't know if the kid loves football . TBH he seems lazy from what I've seen.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Don't see McCrAy making it. I think they might go with only three true safeties (church, jj, Heath) given that jones and white can play safety as well as corner

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
While I agree neither Weeden nor Vaughn look like they'll be the replacement for TR I would still carry 3 QBs.

I wouldn't skate light at QB. If they like someone else more than Vaughn so be it, but it needs to be 3.

Here's the thing, no matter if Vaughan makes the team or not, he will not be active on game days, since teams no longer get (barring an injury to Romo or Weeden) since teams do not get to carry an emergency QB. So if Romo and Weeden get injured in the same game, we still won't have a third QB to turn to, until the following week. And imo, there is very little chance that some team claims Vaughan to their active roster, he can be on the practice squad and get called up in case of injury. And if some team claims him, there isn't much separating him from any other QB out there that is just as bad and they can learn the offense from the practice squad.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I hope so but I see him as a practice squad guy. He looks uncomfortable and like he's learning a new position. After the play is over he's lackadaisical , and Rod just stares him down(I observed this several times) I don't know if the kid loves football . TBH he seems lazy from what I've seen.

Russell would not clear waivers. And to me, once Hardy's suspension is up, Crawford and likely Gardner will be competing for one spot on the active game day roster, so if Crawford is not playing, it makes more sense to keep Russell due to upside.

Reaction score

If you are using 3 QB in one year, you are not going to the SB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty good assessment of the roster. I do not have McCray making the team, not just for ST's play. I think they keep a 7th LB regardless, and since Wilber can play ST's, he stays over McCray. At least Wilber can play LB to a degree, and is not as much of a liability there as McCray is at S. As was mentioned above the versatility of Jones and White helps with the S position.
I can see them going with 6 LB's to start, then 7 once Ro returns.

I can see going with 3 QB's still, TC has a long way to go, and won't rely on reports from TC. Will go with the coaching staff final say here. Unless somehow they can get Vaughan to the PS, which I doubt. Probably varying opinions on that. I am in the middle right now for him being kept, him or Weeden.
I am not sure on keeping 4 TE's. If they do, they may try to slip Swaim on the PS, and bring back a veteran player in week 2, that was cut. I need to see more in TC.

I am pulling for Whaley to make the team, but seems he may be destined for the PS at this point, as I haven't heard much from him fro any reports. And the few were not favorable. So pretty spot on with the DL. Maybe they find a way to keep Jack Crawford though once Hardy returns, as by week 5, we never know what will happen. Don't forget about Coleman in the mix also.

I don't have a 5th WR spot for sure yet, I keep changing my mind on that. I had Farmer, but with what I seen from Whitehead, and the TC report they had on Inside Cowboys Camp on FSW from last night, he is my 5th guy for now also.

RB. I have same 3 for obvious reasons, but could be a position still in transition.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Pretty good assessment of the roster. I do not have McCray making the team, not just for ST's play. I think they keep a 7th LB regardless, and since Wilber can play ST's, he stays over McCray. At least Wilber can play LB to a degree, and is not as much of a liability there as McCray is at S. As was mentioned above the versatility of Jones and White helps with the S position.
I can see them going with 6 LB's to start, then 7 once Ro returns.

I can see going with 3 QB's still, TC has a long way to go, and won't rely on reports from TC. Will go with the coaching staff final say here. Unless somehow they can get Vaughan to the PS, which I doubt. Probably varying opinions on that. I am in the middle right now for him being kept, him or Weeden.
I am not sure on keeping 4 TE's. If they do, they may try to slip Swaim on the PS, and bring back a veteran player in week 2, that was cut. I need to see more in TC.

I am pulling for Whaley to make the team, but seems he may be destined for the PS at this point, as I haven't heard much from him fro any reports. And the few were not favorable. So pretty spot on with the DL. Maybe they find a way to keep Jack Crawford though once Hardy returns, as by week 5, we never know what will happen. Don't forget about Coleman in the mix also.

I don't have a 5th WR spot for sure yet, I keep changing my mind on that. I had Farmer, but with what I seen from Whitehead, and the TC report they had on Inside Cowboys Camp on FSW from last night, he is my 5th guy for now also.

RB. I have same 3 for obvious reasons, but could be a position still in transition.

Good recap, I feel the RB is up for grabs and not sure if we keep 3 or 4 if only 3 then heavy RB's on practice team. The Dunbar and McFadden health and durability worry me.