**Official** 53 Man Roster Projection **merged**

RS12

Reaction score
The backups at QB and safety are frightening. I think you are right about Whitehead, Jerry has been talking about him. I think McFadden is 50/50 to make the roster.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the training camp roughly a week old and a week out from the first preseason game, I thought I'd post a 53 man roster as well as some thoughts on bubble players.

QB: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden
-As I have been saying all offseason, there is no compelling reason to keep Dustin Vaughan on the active roster unless he beats Weeden, and if that happens Weeden needs to go. Neither are very good now or have much long term potential.
RB: Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar
-This could change if McFadden gets reinjured, but who ever comes in to replace him needs to be a good receiver out of the back field and a good pass protector.
FB: Tyler Clutts
-Really just a matter of if the team keeps a FB, and I think they do.
WR: Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Devin Street, Lucky Whitehead
-I think Lucky Whitehead gets the job, but Reggie Dunn could get it as well. Both seem to show good potential as slot receivers, but the best return man likely gets the job.
TE: Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna, Geoff Swaim
-I think Hanna's ability on special teams makes him to hard to deal away or cut, and I hope Dallas would not have given up a future 6th rounder for a player that they don't want a few months later. But I would say Swaim will be one of the inactive players barring an injury.
OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, Laurence Gibson
-I think Chaz Green ends up on the PUP list and possibly IR for this season, which opens the door for Gibson. Otherwise Green makes it and Gibson is on the PS, assuming he clears waivers. Either way the 4th tackle will be an inactive. Weems could be an inactive as well if La'el is the swing tackle.
OG: Ron Leary, Zach Martin, La'el Collins
-None of these are bubble players, but I will say that Leary holds off Collins for a while and maybe in the end, Collins replaces Free (due to injury) before he beats out Leary. Going to be hard to activate both Leary and La'el on game days.
C: Travis Frederick, Mackenzie Bernadeau
-None of the other centers has a real chance of beating Bernadeau
DE: Greg Hardy (Jack Crawford until week 4), Demarcus Lawrence, Jeremy Mincey, Randy Gregory, Ryan Russell.
-I think Crawford makes the team, but ultimately gets cut in favor of Ryan Russell, who has had a pretty good camp so far. But Russell would be inactive barring injury to someone else.
DT: Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain, Ben Gardner, Ken Bishop
-Marinelli values position flex, so that's why I think Gardner finds a way on the team, while the last DT spot is likely a battle between Bishop and Whaley. I think we have more 3 tech options in Mincey, Russell and Gardner, so if it's close I think Bishop gets the nod over Whaley. Bishop would be the inactive in this group.
LB: Sean Lee, Rolondo McClain (Jasper Brinkley until week 4), Anthony Hitchens, Andrew Gachkar, Damien Wilson, Kyle Wilbur.
-In the end, I think we only keep 6 LBers and Wilbur's ability on special teams gets him the nod over Brinkley. Financially, it makes less sense, considering the investment we made in Brinkley, but keep in mind we signed him before we resigned McClain. And Hitchens has been getting the MLB reps with McClain out. Brinkley is clearly the #3 MLB and while Wilbur is not as good in a base defense, he makes a bigger impact on special teams.
CB: Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr, Byron Jones, Morris Claiborne, Corey White, Tyler Patmon
-Not sure who the inactive player her is. Likely Patmon, since White is the better special teams player and there seems to be a specific role for Jones and White in mind.
S: JJ Wilcox, Barry Church, Danny McCray, Jeff Heath
-I do think all 4 make the roster, but either McCray or Heath will be inactive on game days. And considering that, one could be cut in favor of a LB (Jasper Brinkley), DL (Jack Crawford) or a QB (Dustin Vaughan), but I don't think any of the three warrant the move.
K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
LS: LP LaDouceur

Most of it seems reasonable.

I don't see Brinkley being cut. The probability of something happening to RoMc and Lee is too high to go light at LB. If Lee were injured, Hitchens would likely replace him leave MLB thin without Brinkley. Hitchens is also likely to be the starting SLB is Lee and RoMc are healthy and active.

I would not put to much effort in speculating who gets cut when RoMc and Hardy return because there will inevitably be injures by then that change the options. They would likely prefer to cut a non-vested veteran because their salary would not be guaranteed for the season.

McCray does not seem like a needed player. Heath can do the same things on ST and is a better option as a backup. Jones and White will likely be good ST players.

Wilber is the football player. Wilbur is the pig.

DL is the most difficult position group to figure out. Probably 4 of the following make it for game 1:
Bishop
Russell
J. Crawford
Gardner
Whaley
Coleman

Swaim in interesting. Would they keep both a FB and 4th TE? I curious to see if Swaim or Hanna get reps as a FB. Swaim played some FB in college. It wouldn't be that difficult to match the blocking abilities of Clutts, IMO.

Your WR projection seems correct. Dunn has been making a lot of plays but is likely to be available to keep on the PS again (assuming he is still eligible). All of the other young WRs are also likely to be able to be retained on the PS unless they do something spectacular in the preseason.

As in every year, I would love to see the 53 expanded to allow a few more players to be retained.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If Byron Jones can play CB and FS then I would hope to see Heath gone

I would hope to see Heath gone anyway....

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
See, I like Heath. I know he was God awful two years ago when he had to play extensively at S, but when called upon last year (albeit much less), he was fine. He's also very good on ST's, and he's a fighter who loves playing the game. I just think he was thrown in way too soon due to circumstance. We have more depth at safety now with White and Jones, so I don't see needing to give him many snaps unless something goes horribly wrong. In that event, if we were to get to the 5th safety, we'd likely be screwed no matter who we had.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Byron Jones can play CB and FS then I would hope to see Heath gone

I would hope to see Heath gone anyway....

Why? He is better than McCray.

Most people didn't notice, but they replaced Church with Heath at times in obvious passing situations last season.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Why? He is better than McCray.

Most people didn't notice, but they replaced Church with Heath at times in obvious passing situations last season.

I just don't think he is very good and no matter how hard he plays he cannot match up physically with the WR's on the NFL level.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He is 6-1 and ran a 4.4x forty.

Out of position and gets turned around too easily. A 4.4 forty does not mean you have the physical ability to play football, it does not mean you can cover or stick with a guy, - it just means you are fast.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Pretty good assessment of the roster. I do not have McCray making the team, not just for ST's play. I think they keep a 7th LB regardless, and since Wilber can play ST's, he stays over McCray. At least Wilber can play LB to a degree, and is not as much of a liability there as McCray is at S. As was mentioned above the versatility of Jones and White helps with the S position.
I can see them going with 6 LB's to start, then 7 once Ro returns.

I can see going with 3 QB's still, TC has a long way to go, and won't rely on reports from TC. Will go with the coaching staff final say here. Unless somehow they can get Vaughan to the PS, which I doubt. Probably varying opinions on that. I am in the middle right now for him being kept, him or Weeden.
I am not sure on keeping 4 TE's. If they do, they may try to slip Swaim on the PS, and bring back a veteran player in week 2, that was cut. I need to see more in TC.

I am pulling for Whaley to make the team, but seems he may be destined for the PS at this point, as I haven't heard much from him fro any reports. And the few were not favorable. So pretty spot on with the DL. Maybe they find a way to keep Jack Crawford though once Hardy returns, as by week 5, we never know what will happen. Don't forget about Coleman in the mix also.

I don't have a 5th WR spot for sure yet, I keep changing my mind on that. I had Farmer, but with what I seen from Whitehead, and the TC report they had on Inside Cowboys Camp on FSW from last night, he is my 5th guy for now also.

RB. I have same 3 for obvious reasons, but could be a position still in transition.

Coleman is a mystery for me. I have been reading a few good reports on him.
But when we look at the over all players he might have waited too long to start
getting his head into the game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coleman is a mystery for me. I have been reading a few good reports on him.
But when we look at the over all players he might have waited too long to start
getting his head into the game.

Yes, seems he was a bit lazy at times from what I read, from last years games. So he could be on the bottom of the bubble list right now. I have not seen anything on him this year. So from what you read, at least he has not fallen off the list...LOL...

waving monkey

Reaction score
Yes, seems he was a bit lazy at times from what I read, from last years games. So he could be on the bottom of the bubble list right now. I have not seen anything on him this year. So from what you read, at least he has not fallen off the list...LOL...

I cant recall the articles but he was references
I am sure Bishop is ahead of him
We have done a fast job on this make over
not that there isn't a few pieces missing
it is impressive and McClay is the central figure

starfrombirth

Reaction score
1 more obs ,Jack Crawford is clearly ahead of Bishop,Coleman,Russell , and Gardener , if we're going strictly by performance.

umm...no! Bishiop, Coleman, and Gardner have been tearing it up much more than Jack Crawford. Tyron Crawford on the other hand.....

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
umm...no! Bishiop, Coleman, and Gardner have been tearing it up much more than Jack Crawford. Tyron Crawford on the other hand.....

either way, Bishop should not be competing for a roster spot with Gardner and Jack Crawford. As often as Terrell McClain is injured, we need another guy who can play the 1 tech. Crawford and Gardner are more DE/3 Tech hybrids. Coleman possibly could play the 1 tech in this scheme, but even then I doubt it.