**Official** 53 Man Roster Projection **merged**

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I know Cowboys will not cut all three, but I would. Well, I would try to trade Weeden before I cut him.

so what would be the plan if Romo needs to miss a few plays? I know some of what you are saying is in jest, but for right now, Weeden is a necessary evil.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I can count around 18 or 19 easy cuts. It really comes down to 5 or 6 guys fighting for the last 3 or 4 spots.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Yes, I started to include that explanation but I figured it would just make the answer more complicated when comparing it to the PUP. I'm not certain how it works if the injury occurs during the season. If JPP had been injured in September, could he go on NFI, not take up a roster spot and then return that same season?

I researched this a while back and IIRC, it doesn't matter when the injury occurs, only that it's not FB-related (didn't happen in workouts/practice or in a game. The other main difference between NFI and PUP is that a team doesn't have to pay the player if he is on NFI, although teams often do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I researched this a while back and IIRC, it doesn't matter when the injury occurs, only that it's not FB-related (didn't happen in workouts/practice or in a game. The other main difference between NFI and PUP is that a team doesn't have to pay the player if he is on NFI, although teams often do.

No, obviously it does not matter when it happens in terms of getting put on it. My point is that I don't know if there are restrictions about when the player can return if it happens during the season. Being on the NFI to start the season allows them to return as soon as week 7 just like the PUP rules; however, what happens if the non-football injury occurs after the season starts?

I think I said in my original post that the main difference in a player starting the season on NFI vs PUP was compensation.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
No, obviously it does not matter when it happens in terms of getting put on it. My point is that I don't know if there are restrictions about when the player can return if it happens during the season. Being on the NFI to start the season allows them to return as soon as week 7 just like the PUP rules; however, what happens if the non-football injury occurs after the season starts?

I think I said in my original post that the main difference in a player starting the season on NFI vs PUP was compensation.

I tried looking in a few places to see if I could find an answer to your question about a non-football injury during the season, and found nothing. My guess based on that is that a player can't be designated NFI during the season. Sorry, not much help.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I would absolutely die if Garrett was backup QBing.

30 yard touchdown from Garrett to Swaim!!!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
so what would be the plan if Romo needs to miss a few plays? I know some of what you are saying is in jest, but for right now, Weeden is a necessary evil.

Pick up someone else. Anyone else. Weeden will not win the team any games if Romo goes down. None. Cowboys need a better back up plan. At least give the team a chance to win, no chance with Weeden.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Pick up someone else. Anyone else. Weeden will not win the team any games if Romo goes down. None. Cowboys need a better back up plan. At least give the team a chance to win, no chance with Weeden.

And anyone currently available, who doesn't know the offense or even worked with the receivers or o-line, won't be better than Weeden.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
And anyone currently available, who doesn't know the offense or even worked with the receivers or o-line, won't be better than Weeden.

Not on day one perhaps. But I don't expect Romo go down in the first game. If he does, you think Weeden has an inkling of a chance to save the season? Seriously, new to the system or not, how hard would it be to exceed Weeden's affinity for check downs?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Not on day one perhaps. But I don't expect Romo go down in the first game. If he does, you think Weeden has an inkling of a chance to save the season? Seriously, new to the system or not, how hard would it be to exceed Weeden's affinity for check downs?

Depends on the score and amount of time remaining. Weeden may suck, but teams know that he at least knows the offense, you trot out "random qb x" and teams stack the box and blitz the **** out of you because. you won't know how to deal with it. Weeden imo at least can perform well situationally. I'm not a fan of him at all, but in all fairness, the two games he played, the o-line was struggling with the blitz and even Romo looked bad and the against Arizona, it was one of the better defenses in the league.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Depends on the score and amount of time remaining. Weeden may suck, but teams know that he at least knows the offense, you trot out "random qb x" and teams stack the box and blitz the **** out of you because. you won't know how to deal with it. Weeden imo at least can perform well situationally. I'm not a fan of him at all, but in all fairness, the two games he played, the o-line was struggling with the blitz and even Romo looked bad and the against Arizona, it was one of the better defenses in the league.

Honestly, is there a difference between trotting out random QB X and Weeden? Teams will be blitzing random QB X and Weeden equally regardless of knowledge of the system. Random QB X has the potential to overcome the blitz, unlike Weeden.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Honestly, is there a difference between trotting out random QB X and Weeden?

I'd say there is. And I'm not talking about Weeden beating a blitz with a great throw or anything like that. I'm talking how teams blitz when they know your QB can't do anything but check down, while that's clearly Weeden's specialty, teams know that if you blow a coverage, he at least knows how to find the receiver.

Teams will be blitzing random QB X and Weeden equally regardless of knowledge of the system. Random QB X has the potential to overcome the blitz, unlike Weeden.

why don't we have this conversation with an actual name. it's easy to say any qb available is better than Weeden, when you aren't mentioning anyone available. I'm of the belief that there isn't anyone out there that can contribute.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
There is a little suspense and some battles that arent totally locked.

I think there are 38 essentially assured locks and SOME level of suspense with where you go heavy and light at certain areas:

18 locks on Offense Romo, Weeden, DMC, Randle, Dunbar, Dez, Beas, TWill, Witten, Street, Escobar, Fred, Martin, Leary, Berny, Collins, Free, TSmith

17 locks On Defense : TCrawford, Hayden, Hardy, DLaw, Gregory, Mincey, Lee, McClain, Hitchens, Wilson, Carr, Mo, Jones, White, Patmon, Church, Wilcox,

3 ST : Bailey, LP, Jones

The below table is where there are some doubt. Some more than others. There is almost a certainty that a FB will be carried and I think its Clutts job to lose based on pre-season, but do we keep 4TEs vs 6 WRs, 8 vs 9 lineman. go a player heavier on DL and carry 26 or 27 D players, etc.

CB and running back look completely locked. I am curious about Heath vs Scott vs McCray - 1 or 2 of the 3 with Byron Jones and Cory White flexibility. Did J Crawford and Russel show enough Flex or plays. etc.

27xiec8.png
[/IMG]
5c0tqf.png

Even more interesting if there are any trades after thursday (i.e. trade DL for 6th or 7th, etc)

Last edited:

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I understand Zona has a good defense, but I can't get out awful Weeden was that game out of my head.

Weeden was Chad Hutchinson bad. He never made more than one read that game. Literally stared down receivers. It's one thing to be bad because of a stout defense, but when you're not even going through progressions that tells me you can't win us a football game.

Reactions: BAT

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I find myself liking a lot of your posts lately.

I like where your head's at, keep up the great work.

Reactions: BAT