OFFICIAL-Bobby Carpenter #1 thread...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The_Jackal said:
This from Charle's Robinson from Yahoo sports:

#18 Dallas, Bobby Carpenter OLB: Whoa. Huge surprise. Huge. Carpenter will likely have to be moved to the inside for the Cowboys in the 3-4 scheme. He doesn't fit on the outside from that set. Carpenter ran in the 4.6 range at Ohio State's pro day despite not being totally healthy. He's a great pursuit guy, but not a big hitter. One of the big questions is whether he can handle having to drop into pass coverage. Playing on the inside, that's not so much of a concern. - 3:05 pm EDT

Any thoughts?

Reads like someone got off a short bus to write it.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hard to get too excited about Carpenter, but he does fill a need for us.

I'm cool with the pick, boring but effective, lol.

jeff

Reaction score
#Sel#TeamPlayerPos.School1818DallasBobby CarpenterOLBOhio StateVic Carucci's AnalysisLike his former fellow Ohio State linebacker (Hawk), Carpenter is an extremely talented player who doesn't merely rely on talent. He works hard to continually improve his skills. He's smart. And he is a natural leader. He looks like a perfect fit in Bill Parcells' defense and locker room.

Gil Brandt: They want size to play inside linebacker in their 3-4 defense. At 256 pounds, they get a big guy with outstanding athletic ability. He's a very solid football player.

DallasKen

Reaction score
Awesome, on the Ticket. they played audio from Parcells and jerry talking to Bobby Carpenter before they picked him...parcells said 'Look forward to working with you kid..." and Carp said"Look forward to winning a super bowl, coach"

Love it.

TheHustler

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
This from Charle's Robinson from Yahoo sports:

#18 Dallas, Bobby Carpenter OLB: Whoa. Huge surprise. Huge. Carpenter will likely have to be moved to the inside for the Cowboys in the 3-4 scheme. He doesn't fit on the outside from that set. Carpenter ran in the 4.6 range at Ohio State's pro day despite not being totally healthy. He's a great pursuit guy, but not a big hitter. One of the big questions is whether he can handle having to drop into pass coverage. Playing on the inside, that's not so much of a concern. - 3:05 pm EDT

Any thoughts?

Wrong. He's staying at OLB. We're set at ILB with James and Adoyele.

Calicowboy

Reaction score
DallasKen said:
Awesome, on the Ticket. they played audio from Parcells and jerry talking to Bobby Carpenter before they picked him...parcells said 'Look forward to working with you kid..." and Carp said"Look forward to winning a super bowl, coach"

Love it.

Bring it on!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Reads like someone got off a short bus to write it.

I read his stuff every now and then, and he seems to have an okay take on things. He broke the story about Bush's parents living situation. I think he's from Minnesota, so he probably follows the Big 10 pretty closely.

So you give no credence to this analysis whatsoever?

Someone in the chat room also proposed that Carpenter might be moved to the inside. I forget who it was though.

31hammer

Reaction score
sadams said:
If Carp is so bad, then why is the greatest defensive mind in the game, Bellichek(sp) feeling pissy right now. Because BP picked his guy.....

You guys must not have watched Carp play. I saw the Texas game, ND and Michigan.....

He is awesome. He is one heck of a linebacker. His nose is always on the ball!!!!!

There were just so many options out there, That's why everyone is not in agreement. You seam to know of Bobby more then any of us and from what you are saying I am happy with the pick. One of his negatives was that he was surrounded by alot of talent but that's fine because he will be surrounded by alot of talent here in Dallas.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
So does this OSU LB also date a ND QB ;)

I have no feeling one way or the other, if Parcells thinks it's a good choice, that's fine by me.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The_Jackal said:
I read his stuff every now and then, and he seems to have an okay take on things. He broke the story about Bush's parents living situation. I think he's from Minnesota, so he probably follows the Big 10 pretty closely.

So you give no credence to this analysis whatsoever?

Someone in the chat room also proposed that Carpenter might be moved to the inside. I forget who it was though.

Hmm. No I don't.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
I have no feeling one way or the other, if Parcells thinks it's a good choice, that's fine by me.

He's done pretty good on that side of the ball so far. Let's hope he can improve his record on OLmen.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I hope they were at least entertaining some trade talks, cause I believe he could have been had several spots lower.

Satying put at 18, I would've prefered cromartie, but hey...can't really complain about this pick.

I would have also considered Chad Jackson at this spot, but seeing as how the e-girls passed on him, well, I guess he wasn't all that after all.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah!!!!

Now on to the offensive line project...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I don't buy the "surrounded by talent" argument tooo much.

Lawson was surrounded by "talent" (Mario Williams)

Wimbley was surrounded by "talent" (two top 15 picks, and another top 20 guy in the secondary).

Carpenter's not the only guy.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Dale said:
I don't buy the "surrounded by talent" argument tooo much.

Lawson was surrounded by "talent" (Mario Williams)

Wimbley was surrounded by "talent" (two top 15 picks, and another top 20 guy in the secondary).

Carpenter's not the only guy.

Suddenly being surrounded by talent is a bad thing. Doesn't make sense.