OFFICIAL-Bobby Carpenter #1 thread...

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
2004 Ohio State Football
Ohio State Overall Defensive Statistics (as of Dec 30, 2004)
All games

|--------Tackles--------| |-Sacks-| |---Pass Def---| |-Fumbles-| Blkd
DEFENSIVE LEADERS GP Solo Ast Total TFL/Yds No-Yds Int-Yds BrUp QBH Rcv-Yds FF Kick Saf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
47 Hawk,AJ 12 62 79 141 8.0-14 1.0-3 2-0 5 . 1-5 1 . .
42 Bobby Carpenter 12 46 47 93 6.5-25 2.0-16 3-13 3 1 . . . .

2005 Ohio State Football
Ohio State Overall Defensive Statistics (as of Jan 03, 2006)
All games

DEFENSIVE LEADERS GP Solo Ast Total TFL/Yds No-Yds Int-Yds BrUp QBH Rcv-Yds FF Kick Saf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
47 Hawk, A.J. 12 69 52 121 16.5-85 9.5-72 1-24 3 . 1-0 2 . .
51 Schlegel, Anthony 12 41 41 82 7.0-20 2.0-8 . 1 . 1-0 . . .
9 Whitner, Donte 12 55 18 73 9.0-51 4.0-30 2-26 6 . . 1 . .
26 Youboty, Ashton 12 43 13 56 6.0-13 1.0-1 1--6 9 . 1-0 . 1 .
42 Carpenter, Bobby 11 33 16 49 10.5-72 8.0-65 . 2 . . . . .

2003 Ohio State Football
Ohio State Overall Defensive Statistics (as of Jan 03, 2004)
All games

47 Hawk, A.J. 13 52 54 106 13.0-49 4.0-34 2-55 5 . . . . .
4 Allen, Will 13 42 41 83 3.0-7 . 2-107 6 . 1-0 2 . .
44 Reynolds, Robert 12 41 40 81 9.0-33 2.0-15 1-19 1 . 1-4 . . .
21 Salley, Nate 13 44 33 77 1.0-2 . . 5 . . . . .
37 Fox, Dustin 13 55 22 77 3.0-6 . 3-6 9 . . 1 1 .
93 Smith, Will 13 30 19 49 20.0-92 10.5-66 . 4 . . 2 . .
54 Anderson, Tim 13 16 29 45 11.0-58 3.5-24 . 2 . 2-0 . . .
7 Gamble, Chris 13 30 11 41 2.0-3 . 3-0 12 . . . . .
42 Carpenter, Bobby 13 24 13 37 6.5-43 4.5-37 . 1 . . 2 . .

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Bobby Carpenter

Class:
Senior

Hometown:
Lancaster, Ohio

High School:
Lancaster

Height / Weight:
6-3 / 255

Position:
Linebacker

Birthdate:
08/01/1983

Major:
Business

Career Notes:
Heads into his senior season with 39 games, including 15 starts, under his belt the past three years ... is an outstanding football player and an integral part of what may well be the best corps of linebackers in college football ... is big, rangy and physical ... played his best football last year and wound up the season as the second leading tackler on the team with a career-high 93 total participations... finished the season on a strong note, recording 13 tackles at Michigan State and nine against both Purdue and Michigan ... also had an early interception in the Alamo Bowl that led to a 7-0 Ohio State lead before some of the fans had settled into their seats ... has the physical attributes to play defensive end and could see some time there this season in a relief role ... knows the game (his father, Rob Carpenter, played in the NFL and was his high school coach) and is always working to get better ... also plays on the special teams and has turned in a couple of highlight hits on kickoff coverage ... has 142 career tackles.

2004 (Junior):
Started all 12 games in his first year as a regular ... 93 tackles easily bettered his previous best of 37 in 2003 ... led the team in tackles against Marshall (13), Indiana (11) and Michigan State (13) ... tied for the team lead against Cincinnati (9) ... 13 stops against Marshall and MSU are career highs ... had 6.5 tackles for loss, including a pair of sacks ... second on the team in interceptions with three ... Picked off a Donovan Woods pass on Oklahoma State's third play from scrimmage and returned it nine yards to the Cowboy 28-yard line ... Ohio State scored three plays later to take a 7-0 lead with 12:02 on the clock and never looked back ... also had interceptions against Indiana and Northwestern ...

2003 (Sophomore):
Finished the year with 37 tackles, including 24 solo stops, and had at least one tackle in every game but Indiana ... had a season and then career-high six tackles against Bowling Green ... also recorded 6.5 tackles-for-loss and 4.5 sacks in a stellar first year of play ... credited with forced fumbles against Bowling Green and Michigan State ... started the Fiesta Bowl win over Kansas State, his third career appearance in a starting role ... responded well with five tackles, 2.5 for losses, a pass break up and a pair of sacks vs. the Wildcats.

2002 (Freshman):
Recorded 12 tackles as a rookie, including eight solo stops ... played in all 14 games ... began his collegiate career by making a tackle on the opening kickoff of the season opener against Texas Tech ... five tackles against Kent State was his top effort.

High School:
One of the most sought-after linebacker prospects in the Midwest ... won first-team All-Ohio honors from the Associated Press as a senior ... finished his senior season with 128 total tackles, including 12 tackles-for-loss ... also swam as a senior (50 and 100 free) and went to districts.

Personal:
Is the son of Rob and Susie Carpenter ... his father played at Miami of Ohio before going on to play professionally with the New York Giants ... has three younger brothers, Jonathan (a sophomore football player at the University of Cincinnati), George and Nate ... enjoys bowling (best game is a 240) and playing pool ... also likes to play the piano (took lessons for six years) ... two of his uncles played collegiate football (one at Northwestern and one at Kent State) ... favorite pro athlete is Lawrence Taylor ... enjoys playing chess ... would like to follow in his father's footsteps and be coaching his high school team in Lancaster in 10 years ... top memory from 2003 is beating Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl ... the "Tunnel of Pride" is his favorite OSU football tradition ... would play basketball at Ohio State if not on the football team.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Prospect Profiles

Bobby Carpenter
Height: 6-3
Weight: 255
40 Speed: 4.61*
Position: Outside Linebacker
College: Ohio State
Final Grade: M 5.9 INJ

GM JR Scouting LLC Grading Scale/Key

SUMMARY
Carpenter was a very frustrating linebacker to evaluate, because he no doubt has the size, strength, playing speed and athleticism to be a productive all-around linebacker, but he is not one now, and he is unlikely to ever become one. While he tests out like a warrior, his lack of instincts hinder his ability to play up to his off-field workouts -- he is often a beat late moving at the snap and lacks the explosiveness to catch up once he loses a step. When he is aggressive with his hands, he does a good job jolting blockers, gets arm extension and can shed and get free to make plays against runs directed at him -- he has shown the ability to do a good job of maintaining force responsibility. Overall, Carpenter is going to test out big time and will be drafted higher than rated because of it, but he will struggle to become the big-play impact linebacker that is expected of such high draft picks. He will develop into a good starting linebacker, who like many current NFL starters, makes a lot of tackles chasing down plays in pursuit, but does not make big plays to impact games. Carpenter broke an ankle against Michigan, so the ankle will need to pass tests before he is completely cleared.

CRITICAL FACTORS
Athletic Ability Initial Quickness Play Strength Competes Play Speed Instincts
6.0 5.5 6.0 6.0 6.0 5.0

STRONG POINTS
Carpenter is a good athlete with the size and strength to play all three linebacker positions. He is a tough and competitive player, who consistently hustles and chases from snap to whistle, and does not quit until the ball carrier is down. Once he gets to full speed, he has good playing speed to make tackles from sideline to sideline. He has the strength to be a strong presence at the point of attack, and he can shed and make the tackle.

WEAKNESSES
Carpenter does not play up to his natural athletic ability -- no doubt, he does not play up to his 40 time. He lacks good instincts, which causes him to be a beat late moving at the snap and reacting to the play once it gets started, and he lacks the explosive burst to make up the ground and catch up. He struggles to stay with tight ends and running backs in man-to-man coverage; he allows separation out of cuts and can't get back into good position.

POSITIONAL FACTORS
Grade Category Comments/Description
5.0 Read & React He's often a beat late moving at the snap and reacting to the play.
5.5 Initial Quickness He gets moving quickly when he sees the ball, but his instincts hinder his consistency.
6.0 Play Strength He can stack the point of attack vs. blockers, and he sheds and makes tackles well.
6.5 Tackling He does a very good job of bending knees, staying over feet and tackling in space.
5.5 Shed Blocker He can be very good, but he struggles to consistently shed once a blocker gets ahold of him.
5.5 Run at Him He doesn't always shed in time, but contains runs and makes plays when he does.
6.0 Pursuit/Range He chases plays down well in pursuit, but doesn't always have the speed to catch fast ball carriers.
6.0 Closing Burst When he gets close chasing plays in pursuit, he has a good burst to finish the play.
5.5 Zone Coverage He closes quickly to make the tackle after the catch, but he lacks burst to get there to make a play on ball.
5.5 M/M Coverage He can stay with his man on straight routes, but struggles to stay close out of cuts.
5.0 Pass Rush Ability He lacks an explosive burst off the ball and is not consistent pressuring the quarterback.
5.5 Errors His instincts cause him to react late and lead to him not making plays he should.

ATHLETIC ABILITY Section Grade: 6.0
Carpenter is a good athlete, but he does not consistently show it on the field. Despite testing out as an elite athlete, he does not play like one. He has quick feet and can accelerate to full speed quickly, but he does not have an explosive burst, and does not play up to his 40 time. His playing speed gives him sideline range vs. the run, but his lack of burst hinders his ability to stay with RBs out of their cuts in man-to-man coverage. He has the natural flexibility to bend his knees and play with a wide base -- he can move and adjust to breakdown and tackle well out in space, when he stays under control. He does not consistently change directions quickly, and lacks the burst in the other direction to catch up once the tight end crosses in front of him.

Q.A.B. Quick Feet C.O.D. Flexibility Coordination
6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.5

COMPETITIVENESS Section Grade: 6.0
Carpenter is definitely a tough linebacker who has shown a willingness to play through pain to stay in the lineup, and has consistently fought hard to get to the ball. While he has been a productive player who consistently chases down plays across the field in pursuit, he is not an impact player, and does not make the big plays on defense that change games. His overall production has been good, but it is important to note that his production comes mostly from making tackles from the side in pursuit, and he rarely makes a big play. He is consistent in his ability to make plays when he has a clear path to chase down the ball, but struggles greatly when he has to take on and defeat a blocker. He struggles to shed blockers once they get ahold of him, and he gets cut to the ground too easily by cut blocks. He is a competitive team player who consistently hustles and chases hard after the ball from snap to whistle and never quits on a play.

Toughness Clutch Play Production Consistency Team Player Pride/Quit
6.0 5.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0

MENTAL ALERTNESS Section Grade: 5.0
While Carpenter is regarded as a smart young man, there should be concern about his ability to learn and retain based on his bad use of hands vs. cut blocks and his bad shedding technique. He does not consistently read and react to the play quickly, which makes one wonder about his instincts -- he's late reacting to the tight end releasing off the ball, allows separation, and cannot catch up. He does a good job of maintaining a high level of concentration despite inconsistent instincts.

Learn/Retain Instincts/Reactions Concentration
5.0 5.0 6.0

STRENGTH/EXPLOSION Section Grade: 6.0
Carpenter has a very good build for a linebacker at 6-3 and over 250 pounds, and he has the frame to add another 10 pounds without affecting his play. His size, athleticism and competitiveness have helped Carpenter to be a pretty durable linebacker at Ohio State, and he should be a durable NFL player, but will need to overcome the broken ankle he suffered against Michigan in 2005. When Carpenter is chasing after the ball carrier in pursuit, he has shown an explosive closing burst to finish plays. However, in terms of acceleration, he lacks an explosive burst and loses a step to players with a burst out of their cuts. When he bends his knees, plays with a wide base and uses his hands aggressively, he displays good playing strength -- he can stack the point of attack vs. offensive line blocks, shed the block, and make the tackle.

Body Type Durability Explosion Play Strength
6.5 6.0 5.5 6.0

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
I don't buy the "surrounded by talent" argument tooo much.

Lawson was surrounded by "talent" (Mario Williams)

Wimbley was surrounded by "talent" (two top 15 picks, and another top 20 guy in the secondary).

Carpenter's not the only guy.

And considering OS defense played better than FSU and NCS I'm more impressed by Carpenter.

FSU got lit up a lot.

NCS somewhat less so.

lwehlers

Reaction score
i really like this pick. he will be a good player for us. if in the future we might go back to a 4-3 defense he can probaly the middle. now what can we expect in the second are there any good second round wr for us.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
concord give me your thoughts I have been defending Carp all morning....

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
sadams said:
concord give me your thoughts I have been defending Carp all morning....

No reason to defend, getting offensive at this point makes plenty of sense ... you are in the majority.

Eddie

Reaction score
I think Carpenter would have lasted another 5-10 picks. We took him too early. Could have moved back and still gotten him later on.

Oh well, what's done is done. I'm not excited about the pick, but I wasn't excited about Demarcus Ware either.

In Bill we trust. If he solidifies the D, I'll be happy.

Let's take care of the OL in the 2nd round.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure he would have lasted. KC and NE both wanted him according to the ticket.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sadams said:
OT in round 2 yes i agree.
The ticket just had Goose on and he said the OT's are sliding and the best value would be in the 3rd and 4th round.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dale said:
I don't buy the "surrounded by talent" argument tooo much.

Lawson was surrounded by "talent" (Mario Williams)

Wimbley was surrounded by "talent" (two top 15 picks, and another top 20 guy in the secondary).

Carpenter's not the only guy.
But Lawson managed to get 14 sacks despite playing with the DE who was selected #1 in the entire draft...that's pretty impressive.

Carpenter played 11 games and only had 49 tackles, double digits against Texas....???

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Eddie said:
I think Carpenter would have lasted another 5-10 picks. We took him too early. Could have moved back and still gotten him later on.

Oh well, what's done is done. I'm not excited about the pick, but I wasn't excited about Demarcus Ware either.

In Bill we trust. If he solidifies the D, I'll be happy.

Let's take care of the OL in the 2nd round.

They may have had a different feel also as far as if anyone below them would have taken him if they did trade back ... bottom line if he's the guy you want and you aren't sure he'll be there with a trade down, then go ahead and take him.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Carpenter played 11 games and only had 49 tackles, double digits against Texas....???

Yeah, I caught that, with hawk having well over twice as much. Not very impressive.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I keep seeing Carpenter was a safe pick? Carpenter was a very good LB with the ability to play coverage,rush the passer and shut down the run. This is a very good football player who has a great motor and has an all around game. The only question I would have about Carpenter is the same question I would have with any of the picks in this draft and that would be can you do the job at the next level? As for the pick and where he was taken I think it was a very good selection for the Cowboys and look forward to seeing Carpenter this training camp.