***Official CBA Talks Tracking Thread***(Agreement reached in principle)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL | Agreement in principal reached; owners have to agree now
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:08:26 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports an agreement in principal has been reached in the NFL's labor talks, but now that agreement has to be agreed to by the NFL owners. The biggest hurdle to the agreement will be revenue sharing. As noted previously, the agreement will be presented at an owner's meeting in Dallas Tuesday, March 7.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would LOVE for them to ratify the CBA WITH the 2% over the cap limit- then the Skins are TOAST!!!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
VirusX said:
Go figure, Nors frequents a Pats site for info. :lmao2:

Plenty of free info there - it summarizing multiple sources - great stuff on CBA developments and daily happenings.;)

- fyi

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Updated: March 6, 2006, 12:11 PM ET
Deal or no deal? NFL owners to vote Tuesday

ESPN.com news services

At a meeting Tuesday in Dallas, NFL owners will vote to accept or reject a players' union proposal to extend the Collective Bargaining Agreement, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

NFL management, led by commissioner Paul Tagliabue called the union an hour before the Sunday midnight deadline to say that they take the proposal to all 32 owners, Mortensen reports. Twenty-four of the 32 owners must OK the deal for it to be ratified.

Monday in New York, Tagliabue, NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw and lawyers for both sides are meeting to put the players' latest proposal into a written document to present to owners for approval.

The league and union agreed to postpone free agency another 72 hours until Thursday at 12:01 a.m. ET. Teams have until 9 p.m. on Wednesday to get under the salary cap of 94.5 million.

"The NFL negotiators called us tonight after our negotiations broke off to indicate that they will take our complete package to the owners for an approval vote on Tuesday," Upshaw said late Sunday night. "We have therefore agreed to extend the free agency deadline until midnight Wednesday in order to provide time for that vote to be accomplished. It was the NFL's previous rejection of our proposal earlier this evening that caused the talks to break down."

The deal that NFL owners will vote on guarantees that players will receive 59.5 percent of all football revenue over the six-year extension of the CBA, Mortensen reports. That 59.5 percent includes a "cash over cap" limit that addresses the concerns of low revenue clubs about how much teams actually spend on their payrolls in a given year.

The deal also includes the ability to give credits and make adjustments on individual teams' spending on cash over the cap, according to what Upshaw told Mortensen. It is possible that a team that exceeds the spending limit will have their salary cap adjusted the following year by the amount they spend over the cap.

That formula could be the subject of major debate during Tuesday's owner meetings in Dallas between low- and high-revenue clubs. Sources told Mortensen that New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft has emerged as the most vocal high-revenue franchise that is a strong dissenter to a new revenue sharing model.

Upshaw said he still thinks revenue sharing is the key, although Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations, said it was never discussed Sunday. Upshaw also said the players would do as well or better sticking with the current agreement.

"Under our previous cap agreement, we got just less than 60 percent of all of the revenues. The NFL now wants us to cut that percentage to less than 57 percent. Given the enormous revenue growth the NFL is experiencing, I am not about to give back gains which we have made in the past. It is clear to me that we will do much better under our current CBA in 2006 and particularly in 2007, the uncapped year," Upshaw said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Link

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I would LOVE for them to ratify the CBA WITH the 2% over the cap limit- then the Skins are TOAST!!!

If it happens it will only apply to new contracts, and with us releasing Lavar and only having a 2% cash over cap (if it happens) will prevent us from going near the gates of cap hell in the future.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually the new CBA will start immediately and all contracts would be considered with the 2% over cap limit. heh heh heh.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Upshaw is an idiot. With revenues up, 57% this year, is more than 59% last year. Would you rather have 57% of 10 Billion, or 59% of 9 Billion?

ravidubey

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
"Under our previous cap agreement, we got just less than 60 percent of all of the revenues. The NFL now wants us to cut that percentage to less than 57 percent. Given the enormous revenue growth the NFL is experiencing, I am not about to give back gains which we have made in the past. It is clear to me that we will do much better under our current CBA in 2006 and particularly in 2007, the uncapped year," Upshaw said.

Either Upshaw thinks his audience is stupid or he himself is stupid. They had 60% of ticket sales and tv revenues. Now they're getting 59.5% of that plus other kinds of revenues.