RELEASED Official Cowboy Cuts Discussion Thread

Altestic

Reaction score
5 CBs,

So does that mean they might carry 5 Ss - Woods, Heath, Wilson, Frazier and Thompson?

That would be silly IMO. Frazier and Thompson are JAGs.
especially Frazier.

My worry is they're going to go long at stupid positions like LB (for a 4-3 team), OL (keeping extra JAGs) and keeping 6 WRs wouldn't make sense either.

Maybe they want Jalen Jelks on the roster not on IR?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Jackson and Olumba BOTH gone. Keeping only 5 CBs, it seems.

Weber gone, too. Only keeping 2 RBs until we get Zeke signed. Wow.

We only dressed 2 RBs for most of 2018 until Darius Jackson signed in December. I think....

Sydla

Reaction score
I have no love affair with Heath, I’m just pointing out why he’s still around. Lol For the defense to take the next step we need to create more turnovers.

He's around because he's a Marinelli favorite and they have crap changed the safety position for years. So it's not hard to look competent when the Cowboys keep running out dreg at S with him. The only reason there might be pressure now on him is a 6th round pick is looking like a steal.

Sydla

Reaction score
especially Frazier.

My worry is they're going to go long at stupid positions like LB (for a 4-3 team), OL (keeping extra JAGs) and keeping 6 WRs wouldn't make sense either.

Maybe they want Jalen Jelks on the roster not on IR?

Could also mean they are keeping a slot or two open because they expect to make a waiver move or two.

Altestic

Reaction score
We only dressed 2 RBs for most of 2018 until Darius Jackson signed in December. I think....
I thought Morris would get waived because he wouldn't be claimable since he's not on a rookie or UDFA rookie contract. Thus his salary wouldn't be guaranteed and we could pick him back up tomorrow.

But that would only leave us with 1 RB in the short term (Pollard) until we got Zeke signed and Morris re-signed.

Personally Zeke and Pollard with Olawale as a running option on the team would be enough for me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's around because he's a Marinelli favorite and they have crap changed the safety position for years. So it's not hard to look competent when the Cowboys keep running out dreg at S with him. The only reason there might be pressure now on him is a 6th round pick is looking like a steal.

He’s still around because he’s been a playmaker. If you want to keep going feel free.

LittleD

Reaction score
He barely creates turnovers and for every turnover he makes, he botches a few plays.

One of the great mysteries for me of the last decade of Cowboys football is the love affair some of you have with such a mediocre safety.

Sydia, we often agree and at times disagree. Garrett and our backfield coach love Heath. No one has been able to beat him out cause he makes plays and
gets turnovers. He's going to start the season again this year as Jerry calls the shots and Heath is still standing. Have some patience with the guy.

Altestic

Reaction score
I am curious too. Did they cut Wilson?

If not, and they carry 6 WRs, I have no issues with Smith making it. To me, the clear 6 are Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Smith and Wilson.
6 is too many.

Jipper

Reaction score
He and Wise will be picked up sadly :(

nothing sad about it....the more of our cuts that get picked up are an indicator that we have an incredibly talented team and have been drafting and bringing in very high quality guys

Sydla

Reaction score
He’s still around because he’s been a playmaker. If you want to keep going feel free.

He's really not a play maker, by any rational or logical measure. No one outside of the Heath fanboys call him that. He's been heavily criticized by multiple analyses such as Football Outsiders, etc.

Altestic

Reaction score
no

He's still around because he has pictures and videos of Garrett and Jerry drunk dancing in pink tutus.