RELEASED Official Cowboy Cuts Discussion Thread

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'd heard mention that they had recently gotten a good report about Gifford's injury so it will be interesting to see what they ultimately decide to do with him?

I think they might get Olumba back, but I'm worried that Wise and Wilson will get claimed. I think they could have cut and re-signed a vested vet like Morris and kept one of the young guys.

Although I am happy to see they found a way to keep both Joe Jackson and Jelks.
Yeah, if the Elliott deal is imminent I would have cut Morris. But I guess it isn't done, so...

Carson

Reaction score
A little heavy on OL and light at WR. But moves are still needed to be made

Hopefully C.Wilson, Wise and Olumba make it back to the PS. I feel they all earned a spot on the 53.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It is clear that there are some procedural things that need to be done.

But do the Cowboys really get scared that guys like Justin March and Darian Thompson would be lost?

Special Teams always has an impact on roster composition. I just think we overvalued it a bit in terms of how we played the roster game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Broaddus said Redmond was a buzzword name whirling around in trade circles, and that was before the final roster cuts.They have too many interior OL on the 53, making me think there could be some relevance in what he’s saying.

I'm not sure holding on to a player just because other teams are interested in him is the way to go. I would have kept a player who might have a future with the team over one that I'm shopping.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A little heavy on OL and light at WR. But moves are still needed to be made

Hopefully C.Wilson, Wise and Olumba make it back to the PS. I feel they all earned a spot on the 53.

I agree. They were my three surprise cuts, especially considering keeping both Thompson and Frazier (one or the other would have been fine for special teams) and going heavy on the offensive line with both Knight and Redmond (whom I thought got pushed around too much). Thompson, Knight and Redmond would have been my cuts instead.

I also would have kept Phillips over March.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I'm not sure holding on to a player just because other teams are interested in him is the way to go. I would have kept a player who might have a future with the team over one that I'm shopping.

I think it speaks to how much they think those bottom of the roster type players can actually add, although I do agree with you conceptually.

They are going to get at best a conditional 6th or 7th out of a guy like Redmond I would think. I bet they feel like every couple drafts they can produce a guy like Xavier Woods or Donovan Wilson in the late rounds, so the more times they spin the wheel, the better.

reddyuta

Reaction score
mitch Hyatt is too weak to play in the NFl,he is a luxury on the ps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. They were my three surprise cuts, especially considering keeping both Thompson and Frazier (one or the other would have been fine for special teams) and going heavy on the offensive line with both Knight and Redmond (whom I thought got pushed around too much). Thompson, Knight and Redmond would have been my cuts instead.

I also would have kept Phillips over March.

Thompson is the backup FS and Frazier the backup SS while Wilson is injured. I think Heath had some type of injury issue. I think Thompson is ahead of Frazier.

CJ Goodwin is an interesting choice to keep. I thought they would cut him then re-sign him after moving some players to IR-return-eligible.

Players like LB Phillips would not be ready to play now if needed. He flashed but his many missed assignments were less obvious. March probably knows all 3 LB positions. Only keeping 6 with 1 being injured does leave much depth for a developmental guy.

It seems that they might want to trade an OL for a player not necessarily a draft pick. They might want a TE or RB. The injury status of Jarwin/Schultz is a key issue.

Other teams probably wanted to see which players they could claim before those teams consider trading for a Cowboys OL.

Their approach to cuts is different this year. I feel that the team studied which players they thought other teams would claim in part by probing teams with regards to trades and which low level.players those teams would want in return. Some teams must have expressed interest in some OL.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
mitch Hyatt is too weak to play in the NFl,he is a luxury on the ps.

There is something to work with there. He needs strength. After a year in the weight room, he will have it. A year of practice to refine his technique. I think he is a quick learner. He made strides from his 1st preseason game to his fourth. Nowhere near enough right now but young players can take some time.

Reaction score
Two players I would exchange:
1: Tavon Austin for Cedrick Wilson.
2: Ty Crawford for Daniel Wise.

Wilson is a young stud WR who can also return kicks. Austin has always been a mediocre pro.
Crawford is getting old, while Wise showed up all camp long, & is a rookie. Both youngsters would have cost much less on the cap, & have higher passion & skill.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
And they got closer to that than a plethora of individuals

latest