RELEASED Official Cowboy Cuts Discussion Thread

Altestic

Reaction score
Two players I would exchange:
1: Tavon Austin for Cedrick Wilson.
2: Ty Crawford for Daniel Wise.

Wilson is a young stud WR who can also return kicks. Austin has always been a mediocre pro.
Crawford is getting old, while Wise showed up all camp long, & is a rookie. Both youngsters would have cost much less on the cap, & have higher passion & skill.
Tyrone Crawford is a career JAG who has gotten starter DL money.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
In was curious which one they would keep. I didn't expect zero. My preference was Weber.
I liked Weber and Jackson. Never could get on board with Chunn, just didn't see anything special.

With Weber we seen him hit a pile and instead of going down, make something happen and pick up some yards. Jackson is like Zeke, he can do everything but just not as good.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Thompson is the backup FS and Frazier the backup SS while Wilson is injured. I think Heath had some type of injury issue. I think Thompson is ahead of Frazier.

CJ Goodwin is an interesting choice to keep. I thought they would cut him then re-sign him after moving some players to IR-return-eligible.

Players like LB Phillips would not be ready to play now if needed. He flashed but his many missed assignments were less obvious. March probably knows all 3 LB positions. Only keeping 6 with 1 being injured does leave much depth for a developmental guy.

It seems that they might want to trade an OL for a player not necessarily a draft pick. They might want a TE or RB. The injury status of Jarwin/Schultz is a key issue.

Other teams probably wanted to see which players they could claim before those teams consider trading for a Cowboys OL.

Their approach to cuts is different this year. I feel that the team studied which players they thought other teams would claim in part by probing teams with regards to trades and which low level.players those teams would want in return. Some teams must have expressed interest in some OL.

The Wilson injury is a good point. With him set to be out a couple of weeks that could have changed our numbers at the position for the moment.

Goodwin is further ahead of Olumba both as a corner and on special teams IMO, although I would have kept Olumba because I think he's growing as a player while Goodwin is at the level he's going to be, a career bottom-of-the-roster corner.

With March, I don't see it. He may know all three linebacker positions, but he didn't play them real well in the preseason. I'd rather have kept the rookie who flashed than the vet who looked clueless at times.

I don't think we'll trade for a back, but a tight end could certainly be a possibility if either Jarwin or Schultz doesn't look like he'll make it back. Of course, I would think we would have kept Lucas if that's the case.

I also agree there's a lot of strategy to cuts, trying to figure out who you can risk to waivers and who you can't. I just wouldn't have risked Wilson and Wise. I'm less concerned about Phillips and Olumba making it through waivers.

Altestic

Reaction score
I also agree there's a lot of strategy to cuts, trying to figure out who you can risk to waivers and who you can't. I just wouldn't have risked Wilson and Wise. I'm less concerned about Phillips and Olumba making it through waivers.
Cedrick Wilson won't be claimed. Wise however, I'm worried as heck about the next 12 hours. He could be a pro bowl DT/DE in the making.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL.

Another article written after the Raiders game where he made a couple plays. There is no deep analysis there, just a "hey, Heath made a couple of plays in the Raiders game, ergo, he's a real playmaker!".

He's an average, at best, SS. I mean holy ****, people.

The play Heath made against the Raiders is always going to come up in discussions about him because it was a great play that won a game but a couple of plays in a game isn't going to build a reputation for a player as being a playmaker. He's made other plays and his knack for making them has kept him in the lineup. I have my issues with Heath just like every fan does. He's not consistent and he misses a lot of plays but he creates turnovers. How many players from our secondary over the past decade or so can you name that have had at least 8 INTs and 5 FFs over a 6 year period? The two main issues with our defense has been not showing up for the playoffs and our lack of forcing turnovers. Weren't you one of the many who penciled in IIoka as the starter the day he signed and said so long to Jeff Heath?

Altestic

Reaction score
The play Heath made against the Raiders is always going to come up in discussions about him because it was a great play that won a game but a couple of plays in a game isn't going to build a reputation for a player as being a playmaker. He's made other plays and his knack for making them has kept him in the lineup. I have my issues with Heath just like every fan does. He's not consistent and he misses a lot of plays but he creates turnovers. How many players from our secondary over the past decade or so can you name that have had at least 8 INTs and 5 FFs over a 6 year period? The two main issues with our defense has been not showing up for the playoffs and our lack of forcing turnovers. Weren't you one of the many who penciled in IIoka as the starter the day he signed and said so long to Jeff Heath?
that play, and therefore that game, cost us three draft spots and Derwin James. Since we weren't making the playoffs that year regardless.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Cedrick Wilson won't be claimed. Wise however, I'm worried as heck about the next 12 hours. He could be a pro bowl DT/DE in the making.

I think Wilson showed more than Wise did over the entire preseason. Wise mainly stood out in this last game. That's not to say he didn't play well this preseason, only that he didn't do anything until that last game that would have made you think that I've got to take a closer look at this player.

Altestic

Reaction score
I think Wilson showed more than Wise did over the entire preseason. Wise mainly stood out in this last game. That's not to say he didn't play well this preseason, only that he didn't do anything until that last game that would have made you think that I've got to take a closer look at this player.
Wilson didn't have a single TD in either preseason and didn't make the plays on ST or offense that Smith did.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Wilson didn't have a single TD in either preseason and didn't make the plays on ST or offense that Smith did.

You going to judge a WR by how many TDs he had? There's a lot that goes into that. In fact, I was just reading Brian Broaddus' scout's eye article where he mentioned that Wilson had worked open for a TD and White simply did not get him the ball.

Also, Wilson played special teams and was involved in a tackle or two. I'm not saying he should have beat out Smith, though. I just think we should have kept Wilson over an 11th offensive lineman.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
that play, and therefore that game, cost us three draft spots and Derwin James. Since we weren't making the playoffs that year regardless.

We were still in the wildcard race at the time and that win gave us our 3rd straight win. That was a very important game for us. You were ready to give up with 3 games remaining to improve our draft position? LOL You actually look at wins during the season and calculate how many draft spots a particular win cost us and what players it cost us? What a great fan you are. You must have been devastated looking at all the draft spots and players we lost this past April from rebounding from 3-5 last season. :laugh:

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Wilson injury is a good point. With him set to be out a couple of weeks that could have changed our numbers at the position for the moment.

Goodwin is further ahead of Olumba both as a corner and on special teams IMO, although I would have kept Olumba because I think he's growing as a player while Goodwin is at the level he's going to be, a career bottom-of-the-roster corner.

With March, I don't see it. He may know all three linebacker positions, but he didn't play them real well in the preseason. I'd rather have kept the rookie who flashed than the vet who looked clueless at times.

I don't think we'll trade for a back, but a tight end could certainly be a possibility if either Jarwin or Schultz doesn't look like he'll make it back. Of course, I would think we would have kept Lucas if that's the case.

I watched Goodwin for a few plays in each game. I'm not certain about his ability at CB. He has been on NFL teams since 2014 and has less than 200 snaps on defense. Most of his snaps have been on ST.

Olumba has limited upside, IMO. I just don't know if he has enough speed to play CB in the NFL. The 2nd/3rd string QBs in the ps games didn't challenge deep very often but Olumba did get smoked on one play that I remember specifically.

I think the upside CB would be Jackson. Westry is also a possible long term upside player.

I'm not a big fan of March but he is the 5th LB with Gifford injured. They were either going to keep him or sign a player with some experience for that 5th spot.

It's difficult for us as fans to really evaluate LBs in the preseason. I can see if they have the physical ability but failed assignments in coverage are almost impossible to know in ps games for LBs. I can see the obvious fails but beyond that it's really hard to know.

Young defensive players often make plays that get celebrated but when they review film they get cussed out by coaches for that same play because they screwed up their assignment but got lucky.

I definitely saw some of those with the DL in the ps games. There is no all-22 available to me for ps games which makes reviewing back 7 players more difficult.

Altestic

Reaction score
I watched Goodwin for a few plays in each game. I'm not certain about his ability at CB. He has been on NFL teams since 2014 and has less than 200 snaps on defense. Most of his snaps have been on ST.

Olumba has limited upside, IMO. I just don't know if he has enough speed to play CB in the NFL. The 2nd/3rd string QBs in the ps games didn't challenge deep very often but Olumba did get smoked on one play that I remember specifically.

I think the upside CB would be Jackson. Westry is also a possible long term upside player.
Agree on Goodwin. Olumba has the same speed as Richard Sherman, how'd he turn out? Westry is 6'4" AND High speed, could be the Calvin Johnson of defense.

Altestic

Reaction score
You going to judge a WR by how many TDs he had? There's a lot that goes into that. In fact, I was just reading Brian Broaddus' scout's eye article where he mentioned that Wilson had worked open for a TD and White simply did not get him the ball.

Also, Wilson played special teams and was involved in a tackle or two. I'm not saying he should have beat out Smith, though. I just think we should have kept Wilson over an 11th offensive lineman.
It hit him in the hand and then ended up on the endzone turf. The End.

Should have kept Wise over the 11th offensive lineman. DLines rotate, OLinemen play the whole game, so why not have 11 DLinemen instead? Stupid management. Though Conor McGregor and Brevin Knight are going to IR hopefully tomorrow.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Agree on Goodwin. Olumba has the same speed as Richard Sherman, how'd he turn out? Westry is 6'4" AND High speed, could be the Calvin Johnson of defense.
Just stop it with that nonsense.
Olumba is no Sherman. And no they don't have the same 40 time. NFL.com has Sherman at 4.56 at the combine, draft scout has his best time 4.54 at the combine, and 4.53 at his pro day. Olumba ran a 4.62 at his pro day.

Altestic

Reaction score
Just stop it with that nonsense.
Olumba is no Sherman. And no they don't have the same 40 time. NFL.com has Sherman at 4.56 at the combine, draft scout has his best time 4.54 at the combine, and 4.53 at his pro day. Olumba ran a 4.62 at his pro day.
and Brandon Browner ran what... a 4.63? Dude could play