Official: Kellen Moore made OC, Kitna QB Coach

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have been assured that that didn't matter at all:

trumps_press_conference_today

Of course not. But if they put up 50 during the pro bowl the homers would be using it as their #1 rallying cry for Moore.

Ken

Reaction score
Why? I mean what have they done in 23 years since the glory era of the Jones regime that should make us think, you know what, we have to trust that Dallas knows what they are doing?

Frankly, I am surprised that you, being as big a Dak apologist as you are, seem OK with this move. Your mantle has been that Dak has been let down by poor talent, questionable coaching and peculiar decisions by the front office. This seems like another risky, questionable move.

Don't toe the company line here. What's your gut tell you about this move?

PS - FWIW, I don't really have an issue with Kitna as QB coach.
Well...when you look at it that way, everything yhey do is questionable. If every decision they make is going to be viewed with the past 23 year lens...then they will never make a good move.

I have made those arguments for Dak and they are true. I just can't flatly say that about Moore because we don't know. I assume that they know him and think he has something special in him.

I never agreed with the bashing of moore as a qb coach because we have no idea what he was teaching or whether Dak was following the teachings. What we can see...is that Dak, from a qb fundamentals standpoint, got better and better as the year went on. So Moore made progress there.

I am putting my positive glasses on with this move and hoping that this guy is an offensive prodigy in waiting and this will turn the franchise around.

I don't know what lamenting over a bunch of unknowns will achieve otherwise.

Sydla

Reaction score
McVay never called plays as an OC and became a head coach.

Yes he did.

Cousins' development under McVay was so profound that the quarterback gave McVay a signed jersey and a message that read, "I owe you my career," when McVay left to become the Rams' coach.

"He's not just spinning a Rolodex and picking a play out at random," Cousins said of McVay. "He really has a reason and intention for every play he calls, and he's designed those plays during the week for a specific reason."

From an article in The Ringer:

McVay got his first crack at calling plays as Washington’s offensive coordinator in the 2015 season, at just 29 years old. As he reflects on that experience, he recalls too many moments when he was caught on his heels. “It’s the plays where you get caught off guard that really bother you the most,” McVay says. “That’s where you go back and you say, ‘I didn’t prepare the way that I should have to be ready for this situation when it comes up.’”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24/16193394/play-calling-strategy-bruce-arians-sean-mcvay

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score
I don't like this move at all because it's risky. If it doesn't pan out, they will just fire Moore and move on. It places no accountability on Garrett or the coaching staff.
I think this places ALL the accountability on JG. It's why I like the move. If the offense fails this year JG will be gone .Along with KM

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Maybe we miss Linehan next year....
or
Maybe Moore designs and calls plays that his QB and receivers like instead of just following a game plan....
or
Garrett takes over calling plays in the game after the 1/4 point...
or
Jerry fires them all mid-season and becomes owner/gm/coach

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Well Moore has plenty of time to establish his system to flash brilliance before week 1

Sydla

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan we watched the games against the Commanders and know that the HC was calling the plays.

You are wrong.

I have posted articles that states he was calling plays for the Skins as far back as 2015.

Just admit you were wrong and move on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jason Garrett coaching tree gets more impressive by the minute.

*rolls eyes*

So, how far Moore's branch grows is based on how he looks to you 4-5 months before training camp even starts? I get that you don't like the choice, and I don't mind saying I'm concerned myself, but it's nonsense to make definitive judgements about Moore's coaching career at this point.