Official: Kellen Moore made OC, Kitna QB Coach

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Hey, do whatever you want, as long as there is no Garrett extension.

Yet! What you think will happen if Moore's first year ( Garrett's last contract year ) is pretty successful? Extend Garrett or let him walk.

CWR

Reaction score
I listened to the break on my drive home from work this morning and one of the hosts comments kind of resonated with me. Of course being the rooting tooting Cowboys homer I am it figures. Ive never been one to just expect the worst, unless there is a bulk of evidence pointing that way.

With Moore there is no bulk of evidence. The point he made was he was choosing to accept the praise that has been heaped on Moore by multiple football people in and outside of the organization and see where he leads us.

I expect many of the same philosophies on offense, but I think he will incorporate his own wrinkles. I dont think our offense will look exactly the same, even if Garrett wants that I think JJ will have some input about the changes he expects.

I also dont expect Garrett to get an extension this off season. This is a big part of why we hired from within. In the end Jones recognized the teams accomplishments the last three years, however has decided its not good enough for an extension but is good enough for one more year.

Here's Kellen Moore and hes ours for better or worse for one year, make it work or else. It is what it is guys, its not exactly "sexy" but its not Linehan so for that I am happy.

FolsomCowboy

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone wanted Sean Lee to retire and become LB coach then DC, that he was like a coach on the field right now. Rewind to Moore's year as Dak's backup, and the word was he was like a coach on the field. Everything I have read from people outside and inside the organization say this kid has the necessary mental capabilities to succeed as a coach yet noone will cut him the same break they were willing to blindly give Sean Lee. And please don't give me the but Lee can play mantra

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet! What you think will happen if Moore's first year ( Garrett's last contract year ) is pretty successful? Extend Garrett or let him walk.

Oh no! I'd be fine with Garrett getting an extension after the season, if he earns it! I just don't want to see him getting one before then. Heck, I hope he wins a Super Bowl and breaks the bank, he will have earned it.

Sydla

Reaction score
he NEVER HAS CALLED PLAYS before well he did, he was inexperienced at play calling but somehow jumped from one year as Oc to HC and main genius playcaller....it is parallel, what position did Mcvay play in college and the nfl? very curious since IDGAFF who he is because I never heard of the guy but I do remember we beat the living crap out of Washington for many years with our Sub Par owners, GM, and OC/DC..guess he didnt help ;):rolleyes:

Few coaches have had experience calling plays before they became OCs. But most have had extensive experience coaching and being around coordinators, etc. which has helped the successful OCs get started.

Moore simply doesn't have the experience and training McVay had before calling plays. That's not a feeling or opinion. It's simply a fact. Doesn't mean Moore can't be successful, but some of you are so hell bent on planting the flag that this is a good hire that you are trying to make comparison that simply aren't accurate.

There is no comparison between McVay and his training/experience in coaching before he started calling plays and what Moore has.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
McVay had other positions under his belt for far longer than Moore. Moore was only given the job because Linehan was his biggest cheerleader.
What about the folks outside of the organization that sing praises to Kellen? Do we just act like that does not exist?

Sydla

Reaction score
What about the folks outside of the organization that sing praises to Kellen? Do we just act like that does not exist?

Sure they exist but they don't prove anything in the grand scheme of things.

Again, think back to the many people saying Chip Kelly was going to reinvent the pro game with his philosophies, play calling, etc.

He's now struggling at UCLA.

I don't think there's anything more accurate to say about this than at this point, we just don't know how this will work out but it's most definitely a risk making a one year NFL coach an OC.

Reactions: CWR

_sturt_

Reaction score
Actually it all makes sense. Moore was the winningest QB in NCAA history. Not because his team was loaded with talent. But because the team out schemed everyone else with much less talent than they. Fredbeard says he’s a genius. Dak says he’s a genius. Much praise from others in the organization. He knows the players, he knows the terminology. He knows the criticisms about lack of engenuity. The keystone cops comment just shows you’re lack of knowledge about the Cowboys, their coaches and their players.

It makes no sense for the head coach to comment that his staff would remain intact, only to say later that same day that all of that was yet to be determined after all...

It makes no sense to let go of an offensive coordinator unless you know you're getting someone better.

If you know you're getting someone better, then it makes no sense that you don't announce that better coach immediately or at least very soon afterwards.

If you don't announce that better coach immediately or very soon afterwards, then it is only rational to deduce that you must not actually feel that confident in any of your current options, and you're waiting for someone better to emerge.

If you wait weeks for someone better to emerge... then no one does... but you say you're actually just waiting until after the Super Bowl so as not to distract from that... then you announce it almost the very next day after that...

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

The lack of acknowledging the self-evident validity of the keystone cops comment just shows you're doing darned best to ignore the complete buffoonery and clumsiness of this ordeal in the interest of sunshine pumping.

Regardless of what one thinks of Kellen Moore, and I'm entirely right to be highly highly skeptical and to regard his future players' opinions as inherently biased as yours if you were asked to comment on someone for whom you might work some day (or didn't that occur to you???).... the front office bungling of this episode is among the more embarrassing and jarring in recent memory.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone wanted Sean Lee to retire and become LB coach then DC, that he was like a coach on the field right now. Rewind to Moore's year as Dak's backup, and the word was he was like a coach on the field. Everything I have read from people outside and inside the organization say this kid has the necessary mental capabilities to succeed as a coach yet noone will cut him the same break they were willing to blindly give Sean Lee. And please don't give me the but Lee can play mantra

For better or worse (typically for worse), folks assume a great player will translate into a great coach someday -- and just the opposite for a JAG player. Thus why everyone wants Sean Lee to coach, and why some have reservations about Moore as OC.

It doesn't help that our once backup QB (JG) has arguably been a middle of the pack head coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
With Schefter's tweet about possibly no extension for Garrett, it's possible Moore was simply the backup plan as no experienced OC wanted to sign on for potentially only one year.

Daillest88

Reaction score

It’s probably because we are going to be using the same crap scheme. Hopefully not yho

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Sure they exist but they don't prove anything in the grand scheme of things.

Again, think back to the many people saying Chip Kelly was going to reinvent the pro game with his philosophies, play calling, etc.

He's now struggling at UCLA.

I don't think there's anything more accurate to say about this than at this point, we just don't know how this will work out but it's most definitely a risk making a one year NFL coach an OC.
Chip Kelly was a known product to the general public. McVay may have been known within the Commanders organization and even Gruden admitted that he never saw McVay has a HC. In our case everyone has been saying they can see Kellen as an OC and even a HC some day.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It makes no sense for the head coach to comment that his staff would remain intact, only to say later that same day that all of that was yet to be determined after all...

It makes no sense to let go of an offensive coordinator unless you know you're getting someone better.

If you know you're getting someone better, then it makes no sense that you don't announce that better coach immediately or at least very soon afterwards.

If you don't announce that better coach immediately or very soon afterwards, then it is only rational to deduce that you must not actually feel that confident in any of your current options, and you're waiting for someone better to emerge.

If you wait weeks for someone better to emerge... then no one does... but you say you're actually just waiting until after the Super Bowl so as not to distract from that... then you announce it almost the very next day after that...

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

The lack of acknowledging the self-evident validity of the keystone cops comment just shows you're doing darned best to ignore the complete buffoonery and clumsiness of this ordeal in the interest of sunshine pumping.

Regardless of what one thinks of Kellen Moore, and I'm entirely right to be highly highly skeptical and to regard his future players' opinions as inherently biased as yours if you were asked to comment on someone for whom you might work some day (or didn't that occur to you???).... the front office bungling of this episode is among the more embarrassing and jarring in recent memory.
Aaah you’re one of those who move the goal posts when proved wrong about something. Good bye.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Give the young coach a chance. Everybody here was new to their jobs once upon a time. I support him and I support the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Perhaps he will be good at his job and those who have doubted or hoped of his failure will be proven wrong. Go, Cowboys! BTW I get those who say he didn't earn his position but it is what it is until you own the Cowboys Jerry is boss.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I will say this much.

Preface: Yes, I hate how this all transpired because if they actually thought Kellen Moore was the next Sean McVay instead of the next David Shula, Moore would have been hired on the spot at virtually the same moment that Linehan was let go. (Rather, for several days there, many if not most of us thought it was a given that Kellen Moore himself was out of a job, he'd been so unimpressive.)

But.

1) I love that this probably puts control and responsibility for play calling back into Garrett's arms.

I pay no attention to what anyone says about Moore calling plays... this is Garrett's final year in his contract, and you'd better believe that even if Moore is physically mouthing plays, it will only be after thorough schooling from his superior on what he wants.

(And mind you, I'm not the Red detractor that so many who gather here are.)

2) I love that Dak is probably going to be getting a much more useful, wise, tested quarterback coach.

Love that.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Chip Kelly was a known product to the general public. McVay may have been known within the Commanders organization and even Gruden admitted that he never saw McVay has a HC. In our case everyone has been saying they can see Kellen as an OC and even a HC some day.

Look you can put whatever spin on it that you want.

What people say don't really have a bearing on how something will actually work out. It's just that simple.

I am pretty confident people around the NFL will look at this move curiously and admit it's a pretty big risk that might have a huge pay out or a really bad end result.