Official non-PI Call Thread **merged**

fifaguy

Reaction score
I think the big issue here is that they threw the flag, then called the penalty and then picked up the flag with no explanation or anything. The best call there was a "no call". The second best call there was a flag, refs confer, then pick it up. To throw the flag, announce the penalty and then pick up the flag w/out making another call explaining the decision to pick up the flag was asinine and hurt both teams in the long run. The improper protocol now leads to conspiracy theories and, in some ways, taints the victory. There is now a feeling that the Lions were robbed and we didn't win fairly, when it had nothing to do with us, and everything to do with the refs being idiots.

I don't think it's a big issue or a new issue that the refs messed up. It happens in every game in many ways; they are only human. Ditto re the complaining from the Lions and their fans and various Cowboys haters. We would probably do the same if a call like that had gone against us in that situation.

GermanJohn

Reaction score
I understand that making penalties reviewable sets a dangerous precedent, but maybe the NFL should be open to making them REVIEWABLE but not CHALLENGEABLE, as in if a ref is not sure about the legitimacy of his call, he can check with the booth for backup before making the call on the field. A quick check with the booth only costs you twenty seconds for unsure calls, and maybe longer for potentially controversial calls, but at least it ensures the game is called correctly. Could you imagine how many BS targeting penalties could be taken back if the refs didn't have to worry about their union-***** commish jumping down their throats for daring to not throw a flag on a hard hit?

TonyS

Reaction score
I don't think it's a big issue or a new issue that the refs messed up. It happens in every game in many ways; they are only human. Ditto re the complaining from the Lions and their fans and various Cowboys haters. We would probably do the same if a call like that had gone against us in that situation.

Maybe my point wasn't clear. It is the way that the penalty was handled that added much more fuel to the fire. If the flag had been thrown and then the refs got together and decided to pick it up [before announcing the penalty] and the head referee announced that there was no defensive pass interference because (insert reason here), it would have still been controversial, but not as outrageous (at least in the minds of non-Cowboys fans) as them announcing the penalty to the stadium and the world and the picking up the flag w/out telling anyone why.

You are right, the Zone would have EXPLODED if this had happened to us. We'd be discussing it for years.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Maybe my point wasn't clear. It is the way that the penalty was handled that added much more fuel to the fire. If the flag had been thrown and then the refs got together and decided to pick it up [before announcing the penalty] and the head referee announced that there was no defensive pass interference because (insert reason here), it would have still been controversial, but not as outrageous (at least in the minds of non-Cowboys fans) as them announcing the penalty to the stadium and the world and the picking up the flag w/out telling anyone why.

You are right, the Zone would have EXPLODED if this had happened to us. We'd be discussing it for years.

I understand. But to me, it's just another facet of referee error, which is rampant in all forms...

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It Dallas wasn't involved, there would be less controversy. Yes it would be discussed, but not to this extent. Social media blew up like crazy last night. The Cowboys are relevant and the haters have come out of the woodwork like roaches in the dark. The freaks come out at night. After a call that favored Dallas, it's night time y'all.

If the shoe was on the other foot I would hate the way the refs handled it, especially with all the prior calls against us. People always say it balances out. That's not usually true, but this time it did.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
With the way so many announcers and talking heads and fans talk about face guarding, i was surprised to find out it's not actually illegal in the NFL. Hitchens doesn't have to turn his head.

JS22

Reaction score
I didn't watch ESPN or the NFLN, but they did they even mention the facemask against Hitchens?

What do you think?

Even local radio here in AZ is going nuts about the call. Not a single mention about the facemask. I sent a quick tweet to @DougandWolf987 with a pretty clear gif, but I doubt it matters.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Colts fan still butthurt about week 16.
Yes I think he is still butt hurt over the butt whooping his Colts recieved if he feels our slaughtering is coming against the Packers, well the Colts won't be that far behind when the Broncos slaughter them this weekend.

It was much easier for them to beat the Bengals on yesterday it's games were to be flip flopped I guarantee Detroit destroys the Colts, and the Bengals with Green, and Gresham Dallas destroys them as Romo, said on yesterday about not throwing into tighter windows because of how good the Lions' pass rush was and how they were blitz showed the hallnarks of a disciplined QB, and as good as Luck is he's an undisciplined QB at times and it showed in the Cowboys game so those haters can carry on.

JS22

Reaction score
True, but Romo was awesome when we needed him to be. the game winning drive. I'll also take the W with no apologies

And you won't hear a peep about it all week. That's what pisses me off about the call. It's overshadowing a hell of a performance by Romo + a game winning drive in the playoffs.

But don't worry. If he's anything less than perfect next week and Dallas loses he'll get crucified in the media.

Sinister

Reaction score
This is all that's being talked about in Philly.

b4e289f7d090472690a8024f41c040e70a0778d00d4ce4a43ed99c9eddf7b38c.jpg

TonyS

Reaction score
The way I see it, we gave Detroit that fumble back with a first down and they still did nothing with it. They can whine all they want, but they had the opportunities to do something and ultimately failed. On to Lambeau and a gimpy Aaron Rogers. This game sets up nicely for us, I think.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
its funny how all the Cowboy haters are crying about the refs picking up the flag, yet none of them were crying when the NFL picked up the flag on Suh's suspension. I say CRY ME A RIVER then move on!! Green bay's next!!

Co-sign. They need to move on because we are .... On to the next one:star:
I've never seen so many people on social media so mad that we won. I got so many "hate tweets". Just conversing with my fellow Cowboys fans and the haters had to chime in. All I do is retweet their hate and expose them for what and who they are.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Reminds me of the first down by Witten that was overturned in Seattle in 2006. That come out of nowhere.

And the blatant PI non-call against Irvin by Deion in the 94 NFC Championship Game. Those 2 were crucial calls against us.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Yes indeed they're crying like some #####es especially over on Facebook it's sad when the narrative is about a no call PI, but yet the Lions get outscored 17-6 in the second half. There is this annoying Colts fan on facebook was saying the Packers is going to leave yellow and green marks all over our arses next week. The feeling is mutual because his Colts are their arses waxed by the Broncos.

Plus they got the ball back with how many minutes on the clock???
We scored 1 more point than they did. Man up and do something about it. We did.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The bottom line is that NFL crews miss PI or holding calls every game, usually multiple times per game. Considering the receiver also committed a blatant foul on the play, it's foolish how some fans and media members are trying to put some type of asterisk next to this victory. Dallas recovered from a bad call and scored a TD; Detroit cried on TV. Dallas went for it on 4th and 6 to get another score; Detroit punted on 4th and 1. They lost because they're losers. Period.

How about the offensive PI against TWill in the first half. That was a huge 3rd down pick-up that turned into a third and long. Romo and TWill responded with a 76yd TD that basically saved the game. Calls happen and get missed all the time.