Official non-PI Call Thread **merged**

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yesterday Pereira stated he'd never seen the refs pick up the flag before. Then went into a diatribe about this being a crew that has not worked together, and used that as some flimsy excuse for his PI position on that play.

Am I mistaken here? I seem to recall as recently as the Washington game the refs picking up flags and stating "there was no infraction on the play."

Fact is I've seen this several times this year on games against the Cowboys.

Am I wrong here?

I've swear I've seen TD's reversed, PI awarded, spots where the ball placed changed.

One would suspect the reason they have so many refs is the extra eyes factor to correct mistakes.

Am I missing something here?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Yesterday Pereira stated he'd never seen the refs pick up the flag before. Then went into a diatribe about this being a crew that has not worked together, and used that as some flimsy excuse for his PI position on that play.

Am I mistaken here? I seem to recall as recently as the Washington game the refs picking up flags and stating "there was no infraction on the play."

Am I wrong here?

I've swear I've seen TD's reversed, PI awarded, spots where the ball placed changed.

One would suspect the reason they have so many refs is the extra eyes factor to correct mistakes.

Yeah flags are picked up all the time. I believe there was another instance just in yesterday's game.

I think he was trying to say he'd never seen a flag picked up after announcing it as a penalty. Thus the critiquing of their lack of communication.

Typically a flag is thrown, a discussion ensues and then the ref will announce there was no penalty on the play.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Maybe he meant that he's never seen the refs pick up the flag in this particular situation before? Even then, I highly doubt that.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think it was in the manner it was done, they had already announced the PI and then picked it up and called no foul.

AnHero

Reaction score
Flags get picked up, but they never announce the penalty first then just don't enforce the penalty.

Bull Frog

Reaction score
I thought they picked up a flag earlier in the game saying there was "no offensive interference on Detroit". Am I mistaken? They also made a terrible call on Williams for offensive PI. We over came and scored the next play. I am still unsure why people claim Detroit wins if the call stands. There was a ton of time left in the game. Detroit had 20 points with 8:41 left in the 3rd quarter. Why do the experts think that call cost them the game with so much time left after they'd done nothing for a quarter?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah flags are picked up all the time. I believe there was another instance just in yesterday's game.

I think he was trying to say he'd never seen a flag picked up after announcing it as a penalty. Thus the critiquing of their lack of communication.

Typically a flag is thrown, a discussion ensues and then the ref will announce there was no penalty on the play.

He stated up front it was an infraction - Pereira. Which contradicted his call.

The fact they had not worked together seems like a more plausible "excuse" when they waited to correct the play. Not that they were wrong in any way.

So the pro from Dover was covering his arse by suggesting they did this wrong. I have a real issue of them bringing in a guy who is an ex official and having the second guessing going on. regardless of if this went for or against the Cowboys.

Not sure you are aware, but in major league ball parks, they are not allowed to show balls and strikes replays per the contract with the ump union.

I sometimes wonder what these people are thinking inciting this type of distrust in the league by allowing this.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Am I wrong here?

Flags get picked up all the time. It's incredible rare for that to happen after the penalty has already been announced and enforced. That's what Pereira was talking about.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
It felt like someone pushed a button like on that Buffalo Wild Wings ad where a mysterious gust of wind causes a missed field goal, and people are flying off the bench.

I think the mistake here is announcing the call and then picking up the flag.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I've seen flags picked up but not one involving a PI. But I may be wrong. Also, if flags are picked up, it seems there's some explanation for why.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

Am I wrong here?

This happens at least once a game. It happened on the offensive PI they called on the Lions (the same thing they called T Williams for). Maybe he was referring to the fact they announced the call, marked off the yards, and then picked up the flag?

erod

Reaction score
I've even seen them announce a penalty, then pick it up. However, I've never seen them move the ball and the sticks after announcing the play, then pick it up and move the sticks and ball back to the original spot.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

There was another one earlier in yesterday's game. They threw a flag on Detroit at one point on offense (I believe it was the play that Spencer forced Statford to pass wide on an attempted pass to Bush in the flat and incomplete on third down) and then picked it up and explained there was no foul on the play.

So it happens and it happens almost every week in at least a few games.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've even seen them announce a penalty, then pick it up. However, I've never seen them move the ball and the sticks after announcing the play, then pick it up and move the sticks and ball back to the original spot.

But the stick crew works in a bit of independence from the refs. If it is a PI call, they would be on the move I suspect.

sbark

Reaction score
Flags get picked up all the time. It's incredible rare for that to happen after the penalty has already been announced and enforced. That's what Pereira was talking about.

........it took that long for JJ to up the money a couple of times, didn't have leverage :)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hitchens-pi-1.jpg

hitchens-pi-2.jpg

perrykemp

Reaction score
So you are saying that there should have been off-setting penalties and play the down again?

;)

erod

Reaction score
But the stick crew works in a bit of independence from the refs. If it is a PI call, they would be on the move I suspect.

They don't move until the referees make the call and spot the ball.