Official San Antonio Spurs Thread

Route 66

Reaction score
This has to be the most disheartening about the Mavs...

“We’re just right there in a lot of these games,” said Dallas’ Jerry Stackhouse, who scored 17 points against Boston. “It’s disappointing to keep coming up short.”

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Big win against the Mavs today.

Adjusting from my previous prediction, that would put us at 10-5 in the final stretch, which could possibly have us in the top 5 in the West.

It'll be really tough for the Mavs if Dirk misses any serious time. They should be able to hold on to one of the top 8 spots, though.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;2008562 said:
Big win against the Mavs today.

Adjusting from my previous prediction, that would put us at 10-5 in the final stretch, which could possibly have us in the top 5 in the West.

It'll be really tough for the Mavs if Dirk misses any serious time. They should be able to hold on to one of the top 8 spots, though.

They have a chance to put some distance between them and the Warriors and Nuggets in the next couple of days. But without Dirk, I'm not really optimistic about that.

This is not good at all.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Lakers lose to the Warriors tonight.

Spurs only 1 game out of first again... Mavs drop to the 8th seed with the GSW win.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;2008894 said:
Lakers lose to the Warriors tonight.

Spurs only 1 game out of first again... Mavs drop to the 8th seed with the GSW win.

:confused:

Mavs are still a half game up on the Warriors - do you mean if the Warriors beat the Lakers again tonight (at Oracle Arena) on the second half of their home-and-home?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Mavs Man;2009185 said:
:confused:

Mavs are still a half game up on the Warriors - do you mean if the Warriors beat the Lakers again tonight (at Oracle Arena) on the second half of their home-and-home?

No, I just didn't look at it carefully enough. I didn't take into consideration they haven't played the same number of games.

:)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Barry officially a Spur

Web Posted: 03/23/2008 10:08 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — Brent Barry is a Spur again.

The 36-year-old shooting guard, traded to the Seattle SuperSonics on Feb. 20 but waived by Seattle on Feb. 22, signed a new contract with the Spurs after the team's 88-81 victory Sunday over the Dallas Mavericks.

"I'm very happy and excited to be back with the Spurs," Barry said. "There's definitely some peace of mind that there's some finality to this.

"My focus now is getting back in basketball shape and trying to contribute to what this team is trying to do."

League rules prohibited Barry from re-joining the Spurs for 30 days after the trade, which brought power forward-center Kurt Thomas to San Antonio.

Several NBA title contenders, including the Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics, talked to Barry after he became a free agent, but he opted to wait the 30 days to re-join the Spurs.

The Spurs remained in Dallas overnight after their victory in the afternoon game, and Barry joined them at the team hotel after signing the contract.

He will work out in Dallas this morning before the team flies to Orlando, where the Spurs play the Magic on Tuesday.

Barry averaged 7.3 points in 29 games with the Spurs before the trade but had missed 11-straight games with a torn muscle in his left calf.

"I'm not sure what shape the calf is in right now," Barry said. "There was only so much I could do without risking hurting it further. Where it is I'll know only after I get back on the practice court."

Barry said he practiced his shooting at San Antonio-area courts and swam to maintain some cardiovascular conditioning.

Horry ailing: Power forward Robert Horry, who suffered a left knee contusion in Friday's game against the Sacramento Kings, sat out Sunday's game and said he doesn't know when he will be able to play again.

"I don't know how long it will be," he said. "I've never had this type of injury before. It's both on top of the kneecap and under it," he said. "It was under the kneecap before I got hit, and now it's on top, too.

"It's not the bending part. It's the weight-bearing part, when I try to put pressure on it. It's not like I jump off my left leg anyway, but it's my plant leg."

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;2009192 said:
No, I just didn't look at it carefully enough. I didn't take into consideration they haven't played the same number of games.

:)

Well, I think the Mavs would be the preferred opponent over the Warriors for most of the teams at the top (minus the Spurs, who can defend the smallball Warriors very well).

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Looks like Finley drank from the fountain of youth tonight! 24 points on 9 for 13 shooting.

Good win for the Spurs over a quality Magic team. So far we're 4-0 on this crucial final 15 game stretch... much better than I thought we'd be. I see maybe 4 potential losses in the remaining games, so that would put us finishing 11-4 down the stretch which would be fine by me.

Danny White;2003655 said:
Spurs Remaining Schedule...

How do you think we'll finish?

Here's what I think (hope) would be the worst case scenario:

Thu, Mar 20 @ Chicago -- W
Fri, Mar 21 Sacramento -- W
Sun, Mar 23 @ Dallas -- L
Tue, Mar 25 @ Orlando -- L
Wed, Mar 26 LA Clippers --W
Fri, Mar 28 Minnesota -- W
Sun, Mar 30 Houston -- L

Tue, Apr 1 Golden State -- W
Fri, Apr 4 @ Utah -- L
Sun, Apr 6 @ Portland -- W
Wed, Apr 9 Phoenix -- L
Fri, Apr 11 Seattle -- W
Sun, Apr 13 @ LA Lakers -- L
Mon, Apr 14 @ Sacramento -- W
Wed, Apr 16 Utah -- W

That would be 9 wins and 6 losses, putting us at 53-29 for the season.

Even though that's not exactly a finishing stretch record to write home about, it should easily get the Spurs in the playoffs, albeit possibly as a 6 or 7 seed. I don't really see a scenario (barring a total collapse) where the Spurs fall behind the Nuggets and miss the playoffs. Slightly more likely (although still a stretch) would be falling behind the Warriors and ending up an 8 seed.

But if I had to guess, I'm guessing 5 or 6 seed for the Spurs.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
zrinkill;2013632 said:
Good win tonight.

I thought we were going to let it slip away there for a bit in the 4th. It was good to see them rally, though, and put away an inferior team. We're 5-0 now down the home stretch.

We should beat the Wolves tomorrow and that sets up a big matchup against the Rockets on Sunday! Should be a good measuring-stick game for both teams.

Too bad the Cavs couldn't hold on against the Hornets. Paul is straight money!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Spurs now 6-0 down the homestretch and they pick up a game on the Hornets to boot.

HUGE game against the Rockets on Sunday! If we can win that game, I think we win the West.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Rowdy;2017040 said:
Congrats on your 50th win. :mad: Son of a gun that stung saying that.:banghead: :D

Thanks brother.

Also the longest current winning streak in the NBA.

Don't mean a thing if you don't get that ring, though.

Nice win vs. the 6ers btw.

Route 66

Reaction score
Yes the mantle has been passed (albeit frequently lately) for the official hottest team for now. I wonder what Vegas is like these days with the NBA.:eek:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Big win vs. the Rockets today!

7-0 down this home stretch and the #1 seed is in sight.

Spurs playing as well as they have all year right now.

MC KAos

Reaction score
12-6 on this ridiculous month, most back to backs and most games in spurs history in a single month, im glad its over! besides that 1-6 stretch it was crappy

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
MC KAos;2018766 said:
12-6 on this ridiculous month, most back to backs and most games in spurs history in a single month, im glad its over! besides that 1-6 stretch it was crappy

Always important to peak at the right time... and this is definitely the right time!

I never thought we'd be 7-0 over this 7 game stretch.

If Finley keeps playing like this, then we may only lose 1 or 2 games from here on out. That should be good enough for the #1 seed.