Official San Antonio Spurs Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
well, i guess looking at the bright side, if we drop to the fifth seed we wont have to play the mavs or suns till the conference finals, and i like our chances in the first round against the jazz

MC KAos

Reaction score
alright guys, we gotta cheer for the suns and the clippers on wednesday, that way we play the rockets in the first and not the suns! cant wait for the playoffs to start (and for this sig to be gone!)

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Can New Orleans clinch the Southwest Title tonight? I can't find anything reported on it (which is strange) but if my math is correct they should mathematically finish first if they can beat the LA Clippers tonight.

By doing so they would finish with at least 56 wins, which San Antonio can only equal. And NO holds the head-to-head tiebreaker.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Mavs Man;2036322 said:
Can New Orleans clinch the Southwest Title tonight? I can't find anything reported on it (which is strange) but if my math is correct they should mathematically finish first if they can beat the LA Clippers tonight.

By doing so they would finish with at least 56 wins, which San Antonio can only equal. And NO holds the head-to-head tiebreaker.

they won't win though :) why? Because i want the Jazz to get to the #3 seed (don't they own the tie-breaker over the hornets?)

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
dargonking999;2036346 said:
they won't win though :) why? Because i want the Jazz to get to the #3 seed (don't they own the tie-breaker over the hornets?)

Yes, I think the Jazz swept them (3-0). Deron Williams takes the "CP3 is the best PG in the league" talk personally.

NO has lost three out of their last four, but I wouldn't bet they would lose both of the next two games.

That would be a wild finish, though.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Mavs Man;2036322 said:

they split the season series, but NO holds the tiereaker because of better conference and division record, but if they lose to the clippers and then to dallas and the spurs beat the jazz the spurs would win the division. however, thats not very likely

Reaction score
My Lakers are looking good going into the playoffs, if Bynum comes back healthy then I truly believe the title goes through LA.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
MC KAos;2036858 said:
they split the season series, but NO holds the tiereaker because of better conference and division record, but if they lose to the clippers and then to dallas and the spurs beat the jazz the spurs would win the division. however, thats not very likely

Sorry - you're right, that's what I meant, that they hold the division tiebreaker.

thekavorka

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2036867 said:
My Lakers are looking good going into the playoffs, if Bynum comes back healthy then I truly believe the title goes through LA.

I doubt Bynum even plays the rest of this season

MC KAos

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2036867 said:

the lakers are good and a serious title contender, but you should peg your hopes on bynum, he is probably not gonna come back and even if he does he wont be 100%. at least you guys will be in the easy bracket, should make it to the conference finals no problem

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Brent's Back Baby!

What a first round matchup this is going to be... Spurs/Suns!

Shouldn't lack for drama.

MC KAos

Reaction score
ya, its gonna suck, i would have rather played the rockets, the suns made the shaq trade for this exact reason, and it certainly makes them better against us. But i think ultimately pop will outcoach dantoni and that will be the difference in the series

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
MC KAos;2038561 said:
ya, its gonna suck, i would have rather played the rockets, the suns made the shaq trade for this exact reason, and it certainly makes them better against us. But i think ultimately pop will outcoach dantoni and that will be the difference in the series

I ain't skeered.

Bring em on.

Better make sure to put some extra padding on the scorer's table so Nash doesn't hurt himself flopping. ;)

MC KAos

Reaction score
Danny White;2038563 said:
I ain't skeered.

Bring em on.

Better make sure to put some extra padding on the scorer's table so Nash doesn't hurt himself flopping. ;)

haha, ya and we better get amare a bullet proof vest in case bowen decides to shoot him with a concealed weapon

DCgirl13

Reaction score
Danny White;2038563 said:
I ain't skeered.

Bring em on.

Well as long as the Spurs players don't get pissed and try to take out one of our players because they blew a game, Nash won't need that padding.

I have a feeling the spurs are going to pull a few cheap shots and beat us yet again, but I'm hoping justice is finally served. I'm sure if Phoenix does win, it will be blamed on the Spurs getting older. :rolleyes:

MC KAos

Reaction score
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...s.3f2d3d5.html

Buck Harvey: Spurs' edge: Duncan has been waiting

Web Posted: 04/17/2008 12:45 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Tim Duncan sat at his locker Wednesday evening, watching a replay of an earlier game against the Jazz, when he saw himself slip on a clumsy pivot move.
Still sitting, he rolled his chair, kicking his feet against the floor like a little kid, until he was close enough to grab the remote. Then he replayed the moment, over and over again, until he had seen it 10 times.

What followed made it official.

Duncan is paying attention now, isn't he?

All the Spurs appeared interested Wednesday. It was if they put on a dress rehearsal for the playoffs, and the word Gregg Popovich used afterward to describe his team fit that.

"Purposeful," he called them.

Their problem is that their next opponent will be as purposeful. A year ago, the Spurs and Suns drew blood and anger, and now one franchise will feel disgust and failure within two weeks.

Duncan has never known this kind of loss. He's been the opposite of Tracy McGrady, getting out of the first round every year he's been in uniform, and his first time set the tone. Then, in 1998, Duncan pounded the Suns in a matchup similar to this one. Both teams won 56 games that season.

After that, Duncan didn't face that kind of first-round fear. As a high seed, the Spurs drew beatable opponents. Even last year, when the Spurs were also a third seed, their first-round opponent, Denver, won only 45 games.

This is different. The Suns had the conference's best record when they gambled on Shaquille O'Neal. Who knows? They might be the best again, even if the record doesn't show it, and what Shaq has done against Duncan suggests that.

Duncan has gone 15 for 40 in their two meetings this year, both Spurs losses. But has Shaq found a way to control Duncan? Or did these games say more about what Duncan has become in the regular season?

He has never cared for stats, and he quit caring about the Olympics after seeing FIBA officials at work. He once cared about the MVP award, as well as All-Star appearances, but he's gotten over most of that.

Haircuts, clothes, media attention — all were long ago placed in the who-cares drawer. And as the years went along, he's cared less and less about the regular season, too.

He hasn't skated, exactly, as Shaq has. He's used the regular season as a nice way to get in shape.

Duncan has never gone that far. The only four games he missed this season were after he strained an ankle and knee, and his numbers this season indicate he's been paying attention most of the time.

Still, Duncan has come to see the regular season for what it is — simply prologue for what comes later. He can get pumped up for rivalry games, but he mostly endures the first 82 games with an emotional inability to reach the gear he wants.

Little wonder the Spurs struggled at times this season. Teams often didn't double Duncan, which led to fewer open looks for the other Spurs. And over the past month, even against power teams in the conference, Duncan's body language has screamed without much ambiguity:

"Could we please get to the playoffs?"

Wednesday was about that. The Spurs understood they needed to put everything together, no matter how that impacted seeding. They needed to get Manu Ginobili back, and for Brent Barry to make a shot, and for Tony Parker to return to last June.

They needed, too, for Duncan to zone in and treat the Jazz as he did in the playoffs a year ago. He did, scoring the first basket of the game, before following with an assortment of blocks and rebounds.

One sequence: Duncan dove at Carlos Boozer, forcing a Boozer miss, and Duncan kept running. Ginobili came up with the rebound, looked up and threw a long pass to Duncan sprinting to the other end.

"Tim Duncan was running the floor," said Jerry Sloan, reacting to the sight. "He set the stage for everyone."

That's what he's done for his career. And now comes Shaq, and a rival, and a series where something has to give.

Pull up a chair.

Duncan has.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
DCgirl13;2038576 said:
Well as long as the Spurs players don't get pissed and try to take out one of our players because they blew a game, Nash won't need that padding.

I have a feeling the spurs are going to pull a few cheap shots and beat us yet again, but I'm hoping justice is finally served. I'm sure if Phoenix does win, it will be blamed on the Spurs getting older. :rolleyes:

Here, have some cheese with that whine. ;)

cheese-and-wine_450w.jpg

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
:laugh2:

I'm going to enjoy reading through the trash talk in this series.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Mavs Man;2039480 said:
:laugh2:

I'm going to enjoy reading through the trash talk in this series.

i hope it doesnt get too out of hand, but there will be close games and ultimately people on either side will blame the refs on close calls