***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Halfway through Peacemaker and am enjoying that and pitting that against the Disney produced Marvel stuff looks like premium vs network programming, R vs PG for sure.

The opening of Peacemaker is gonzo and I do not see how anyone could not start into it after watching that. And I've watched it up until when Robert Patrick shows up every time and laugh every time. HBO Max needs to provide a doc about the making of the opening. I'd bet they all had a hard time getting through that.

DC can thank Disney and their overreaction to Gunn's old Facebook or Twitters, whatever it was, and scoring his talents on Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Got some good stuff in before Disney realized the error of their ways and brought him back to the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

His soundtracks are genius. Guardians of the Galaxy had so much great music, and it's a riot how Peacemaker does the entire series with 80's metal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DC can thank Disney and their overreaction to Gunn's old Facebook or Twitters, whatever it was, and scoring his talents on Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. Got some good stuff in before Disney realized the error of their ways and brought him back to the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

His soundtracks are genius. Guardians of the Galaxy had so much great music, and it's a riot how Peacemaker does the entire series with 80's metal.

I love his choices with the Guardians. Not as much with Peacemaker.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Started Wheel of Time and I like it. Acting is a little off but I chalk that up to these streaming films requiring at least 3 times the number of actors and for longer commitments.

I was not familiar with the story but it's got a GOT/LOTR vibe to it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Started Wheel of Time and I like it. Acting is a little off but I chalk that up to these streaming films requiring at least 3 times the number of actors and for longer commitments.

I was not familiar with the story but it's got a GOT/LOTR vibe to it.
I liked it more in the beginning, thinking it could only get better.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I liked it more in the beginning, thinking it could only get better.
The books were great but they were a marathon to get through. Jordan spends more time on character development than any author I've ever read. He'll spend half a chapter giving you the life history of a tavern wench before she becomes a part of the story for 3 pages and then you never read about her again.

Enjoyed the first season, if I recall correctly it probably covered the first two books....maybe 3.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The books were great but they were a marathon to get through. Jordan spends more time on character development than any author I've ever read. He'll spend half a chapter giving you the life history of a tavern wench before she becomes a part of the story for 3 pages and then you never read about her again.

Enjoyed the first season, if I recall correctly it probably covered the first two books....maybe 3.
I like the concept, and I find the show worth watching. I think my biggest issue is the acting, as well as some of the actors. The redhead guy, for instance, seems like he should be playing in a show about minor league baseball or something. The role doesn't fit him, IMO. There are others as well.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like the concept, and I find the show worth watching. I think my biggest issue is the acting, as well as some of the actors. The redhead guy, for instance, seems like he should be playing in a show about minor league baseball or something. The role doesn't fit him, IMO. There are others as well.
Yeah, I hear you. It definitely has a Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker feel to it...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I hear you. It definitely has a Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker feel to it...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

DanteEXT

Reaction score
From what I just read, it looks like the series’ arrival will include expanded parental controls as well. A great compromise in my opinion. I hope that this opens the door for more content to be added to Disney+.

That's great to hear. I hadn't had a chance to read anything yet. Just a headline that popped on my phone yesterday. I thought they'd end up on Hulu just due to the content.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just got the notice, Netflix is going up to 19.99 April 2, right after Amazon sent the notice Prime is going up to 14.99 or 139 so this brings up the question of where's the breaking point for people?

The last research I saw had the streaming budget at 40 per month with a max of 4 streamers. What wasn't clear was how people viewed Prime. I do not include it in the streamers but as a bonus because of the shipping membership. And there are ways to get free streaming with product purchases as a workaround.

I don't budget for it but base it on content and so far have tried Hulu, Paramount+ and Peacock+ and dumped them because I couldn't find enough that interested me. So I stick with Netflix, Amazon, Apple+, Disney+ and HBO Max. And I have to have Roku to access the last three.

One thing all of these companies share, poor promotion of their programming. If it is a series I like, I can recall where it is but they do not do a good job of promoting the new programming. And the categories and genres are really bogus for the most part.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just got the notice, Netflix is going up to 19.99 April 2, right after Amazon sent the notice Prime is going up to 14.99 or 139 so this brings up the question of where's the breaking point for people?

The last research I saw had the streaming budget at 40 per month with a max of 4 streamers. What wasn't clear was how people viewed Prime. I do not include it in the streamers but as a bonus because of the shipping membership. And there are ways to get free streaming with product purchases as a workaround.

I don't budget for it but base it on content and so far have tried Hulu, Paramount+ and Peacock+ and dumped them because I couldn't find enough that interested me. So I stick with Netflix, Amazon, Apple+, Disney+ and HBO Max. And I have to have Roku to access the last three.

One thing all of these companies share, poor promotion of their programming. If it is a series I like, I can recall where it is but they do not do a good job of promoting the new programming. And the categories and genres are really bogus for the most part.
This is what I have been predicting would happen. They are using "incrementalization" (aka: boiling frog tactic) to squeeze more money out of their customers because they are likely losing subscribers while spending a lot of money on low or special interest Netflix-owned productions.

I also think it is no coincidence that they are raising their prices right before Stranger Things season 4 finally gets released in May after a 3-year wait.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I have been predicting would happen. They are using "incrementalization" (aka: boiling frog tactic) to squeeze more money out of their customers because they are likely losing subscribers while spending a lot of money on low or special interest Netflix-owned productions.

I also think it is no coincidence that they are raising their prices right before Stranger Things season 4 finally gets released in May after a 3-year wait.

I’m just about ‘over’ Netflix. The content vs cost just isn’t there for me anymore. If my wife wasn’t watching British Bake-off all the time, it would already be gone. I rarely watch it myself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I do wonder about their management. They admitted giving Chappelle 19M for the previous special was a gross overpay and then pay him 24M for this last one. Half of it was a rehash and attempted defense of his previous unfunny special.

They’re using the investment in programming as the justification for the rate hike. Then admit they’re overpaying? No, we are paying more because they are not very good at their job.

And they were asleep at the wheel letting Disney get Marvel and Star Wars.