***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Was having this conversation with the wife just the other day! People broke the chains from satellite service because it was like having a small car payment (my buddy was paying $150/mo for his DirectTV package at one time). The idea of having these TV app services was fantastic and affordable! Well, it used to be that way. Now that every different channel has their own app starting anywhere from $10-$20 a month, you start signing up to all these, and the next thing you know it begins to add up again.

I was telling her we should start a rotation with just a few at a time and just keep rolling through every 6 months or so.

We've had Netflix since the beginning of time, so it feels natural to have it as our to-go-to, but there just isn't that much on there right now that interests me. T-Mobile gave us 1 year free of Paramount+, but it has ads. I hate ads, but there is a lot of interesting content on there for me. So it tempts me to just upgrade that service and drop Netflix, but I know as soon as I do, something on there will pop up (Stranger Things) that I will want to watch. lol

Oh, first world problems. :D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do wonder about their management. They admitted giving Chappelle 19M for the previous special was a gross overpay and then pay him 24M for this last one. Half of it was a rehash and attempted defense of his previous unfunny special.

They’re using the investment in programming as the justification for the rate hike. Then admit they’re overpaying? No, we are paying more because they are not very good at their job.

And they were asleep at the wheel letting Disney get Marvel and Star Wars.

And Disney is now adding the former Netflix/Marvel series to that library. It’s all about established intellectual properties, and Disney’s got ‘em. Netflix has few series that can compete. And some that they do have are ending.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was having this conversation with the wife just the other day! People broke the chains from satellite service because it was like having a small car payment (my buddy was paying $150/mo for his DirectTV package at one time). The idea of having these TV app services was fantastic and affordable! Well, it used to be that way. Now that every different channel has their own app starting anywhere from $10-$20 a month, you start signing up to all these, and the next thing you know it begins to add up again.

I was telling her we should start a rotation with just a few at a time and just keep rolling through every 6 months or so.

We've had Netflix since the beginning of time, so it feels natural to have it as our to-go-to, but there just isn't that much on there right now that interests me. T-Mobile gave us 1 year free of Paramount+, but it has ads. I hate ads, but there is a lot of interesting content on there for me. So it tempts me to just upgrade that service and drop Netflix, but I know as soon as I do, something on there will pop up (Stranger Things) that I will want to watch. lol

Oh, first world problems. :D

I’m with you. And the thing is, we can always go back if and when the content improves. It’s not like you get a big discount for being a longtime customer, do you?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with services like Netflix, Disney+, and others is that in the beginning they are worth their price and more.

When you first subscribe to Netflix, Disney+, etc. there is a lot of content for you to watch that you have never seen as well as old content you have not seen in years.

In the beginning it is worth $20, $30 and even more per month because there is something waiting for you to watch every free moment you have. Months (or years) later though, once you have watched everything in their existing library you care about, you are left only with new content justifying its price to you.

It is not that their new content is not worth it, but rather it's just not worth as much to you now as it was originally.

It is ironic really. Streaming services provide more value to you initially yet the rate at which they charge you when you first subscribe is lower (when compared to future pricing). Then, over time as you finish watching most of their library's content and there are less new things to watch, the services offer you less value and yet they increase their prices.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with services like Netflix, Disney+, and others is that in the beginning they are worth their price and more.

When you first subscribe to Netflix, Disney+, etc. there is a lot of content for you to watch that you have never seen as well as old content you have not seen in years.

In the beginning it is worth $20, $30 and even more per month because there is something waiting for you to watch every free moment you have. Months (or years) later though, once you have watched everything in their existing library you care about, you are left only with new content justifying its price to you.

It is not that their new content is not worth it, but rather it's just not worth as much to you now as it was originally.

It is ironic really. Streaming services provide more value to you initially yet the rate at which they charge you when you first subscribe is lower (when compared to future pricing). Then, over time as you finish watching most of their library's content and there are less new things to watch, the services offer you less value and yet they increase their prices.

:hammer:

Great points. And I feel it connects to my own regarding the intellectual properties. Disney can mine their own characters as well as the Marvel and Star Wars universes. As long as they keep producing fresh content there? They’ll keep their subscriber base.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:hammer:

Great points. And I feel it connects to my own regarding the intellectual properties. Disney can mine their own characters as well as the Marvel and Star Wars universes. As long as they keep producing fresh content there? They’ll keep their subscriber base.
Disney definitely has an advantage (for now at least) with their own established brands (IP). When it first launched, I was not very optimistic the bulk of people subscribing would keep it long term, except the ones with kids of course.

I did not realize how aggressive they were going to be with creating new movies, shows, etc. based on their IP library. Now that they are doing that and seem to be creating solid offerings, I am lot more optimistic about Disney+'s future, at least until they also start increasing pricing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disney definitely has an advantage (for now at least) with their own established brands (IP). When it first launched, I was not very optimistic the bulk of people subscribing would keep it long term, except the ones with kids of course.

I did not realize how aggressive they were going to be with creating new movies, shows, etc. based on their IP library. Now that they are doing that and seem to be creating solid offerings, I am lot more optimistic about Disney+'s future, at least until they also start increasing pricing.

Marvel has been a moneymaking juggernaut for them, even during the pandemic. Even modest theatrical releases have done well, and their television series are of high quality and successful as well. Now they need the Star Wars side of the house to catch up and they’ll really dominate.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just watched the first one and a half episodes of Guardians of Justice on Netflix. Complete and utter crap. They're trying to ride the coattails of The Boys and the animated series, Invincible. The story is mediocre, the characters are lame, the writing is weak, the costumes look like Halloween costumes made by teenagers, and the sets are terrible. If I had to guess, I'd say the budget for the first episode was $1000 and a head of lettuce.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

That’s why I rotate. It’s just a waste of money to have all of them. I only have time to watch one or two services. I’ll go a month or two with Netflix and Apple. And then I’ll cancel and go with Disney and Amazon, rotate some HBO Max and Peacock the next month.. mix in some Paramount, Hulu, ESPN+, etc in there, and so on…. Always keeps it fresh and something new worth watching! Also saves money because someone is always offering a discount or freebies to come back. I no longer watch regular TV except for NFL season. Even the news is available for free on streaming apps. The CBS coverage of the Ukraine was great. :thumbup:

Also, another recommendation for anyone is just do a Google search what’s worth watching. Some websites like decider.com to a good job showing all the highlights of every month. That usually determines which direction I go. Some services just have a great month and they release a lot of good stuff.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4, bringing that into it is what made it an 8 for me. Mando is my favorite Star Wars character of all time. Pedro Pascal does a great job wearing a helmet of establishing the "human" side of his character.
That has been the consensus from most of the members here about the Boba Fett show :D

Okay without Mando, much better with.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
4, bringing that into it is what made it an 8 for me. Mando is my favorite Star Wars character of all time. Pedro Pascal does a great job wearing a helmet of establishing the "human" side of his character.
I agree with this whole reply. I can't say I've ever thought about who my favorite Star Wars character is, until now. I know who my least favorites are, but I think that's universally agreed upon, for the most part...with the possible exception of Luke Skywalker. I never really liked him, probably because of Mark Hamill.