***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you it's been a long time since I've watched a show that made me want to reach through the screen and punch the antagonist square in the face. Homelander is such a pompous you know what!!

I wasn't familiar with the actor that plays Homelander before I started this show, but he is a good actor!

Juggernaut

Reaction score

To me, this series looks like it’s going to be VERY good.

It looks a lot less corny and more serious than some of the stuff we've seen from Star Wars.
:thumbup:
Agreed. It looks well thought out. After watching these trailers, my only regret is that there is not any way of injecting Jyn Erso into the series. :(
I quite enjoyed the movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. I can't wait to see this.
ft05EHs.gif

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Into S4;e3 of Mayans, on Hulu. So far, this is my favorite season. It's showing the intensity I loved about SOA.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reminder .. do NOT divulge anything about movies or episodes of TV shows without using SPOILER tags!

This includes general spoilers such as "a main character dies", "there's a plot twist", "something unexpected happens", etc.

Those are things you got to enjoy unexpectedly so please do not take that away from other members here who have not had a chance yet to watch the movie, TV show or episodes you are talking about!

Creeper

Reaction score
So despite all the negative comments about Resident Evil on Netflix, I decided to watch it anyway. Disclaimer: I only watched episode 1 - which I was temped to turn off 10 minutes in. Yes, it is awful. Maybe not the worst series I have ever started to watch, but if you asked me for an example of one that is worse I would need a few hours to come up with one.

One positive note first. I like Lance Reddick as an actor. I thought, okay, maybe him being in this sloppy mess would make it a bit better. I think he does, but not enough. Then again, I watched "Orca the Killer Whale" all the way through so I can probably get through this show too.

I will put the rest of my thoughts behind a spoiler button. I don't want to give anything away just in case anyone else is brave enough to try this one on.

First note: There are too many flashbacks in the first episode. I get that they have to explain how we got to the start of the story, but 2/3 of this episode is pent in the past. Maybe it would have been better if they started the show in the past and then used the "14 years later..." technique to bring the story forward - and stay there.

The real issue is the main character is not very likeable. But as a teenager in the flashbacks, she is even more unlikeable, in fact she is detestable. Once you see her as a kid you want the creatures to eat her first! Then when you find out what here and her sister are responsible for, your reaction is, "of course!" I am not sure who the target audience is for this show, but if it is teenagers then when you watch this story develop with this obnoxious, bratty, disrespectful, young woman, who thinks it is okay to assault other students, even bullies, and of course she sees ever other student as an awful person, then you sort of understand why some young kids take a gun and shoot up their schools. Maybe our young heroes should have more respect for others and not think everyone is a bad person. We need more Peter Parkers and less of the nitwits promoted by this show.

That fact that she is unlikeable makes the show unwatchable. It is not a casting issue. It is a writing issue. Episode 1 ends with a cliffhanger involving the main character. I am sure most viewers are not thinking, "does she make it or not?" My guess is they are thinking, "I hope she doesn't make it!"

A note about the computer generated graphics: They are awful. The original RE movie released in 2002 had better special effects that this show and CGI is both cheaper and way more advanced than it was 20 years ago. The creatures in this show had a very 1990s SYFY channel look to them. There is one scene in a Umbrella offices conference room where an infected dog jumps up on a table into a 3D projection of a teddy bear. Oh, the irony! The 3d teddy bear was a better effect than the infected dog! It is never a good thing when a new shows has a 1990s SYFY vibe to it.

Episode 1 gets less than 1 star from me. How this show is trending on Netflix is a complete mystery to me - or a lie. I haven't decided if I will watch episode 2 yet. It depends on what else is available to watch when I am working out. But I go to the dentist every 6 months, I have a cystoscopy every year, I watched the new Sex and the City show with my wife, I pick up my dogs poop and when she pukes I am there with the paper towels, so how bad can episode 2 be?

Then again, I never finished watching season 2 of The Tick.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So despite all the negative comments about Resident Evil on Netflix, I decided to watch it anyway. Disclaimer: I only watched episode 1 - which I was temped to turn off 10 minutes in. Yes, it is awful. Maybe not the worst series I have ever started to watch, but if you asked me for an example of one that is worse I would need a few hours to come up with one.

One positive note first. I like Lance Reddick as an actor. I thought, okay, maybe him being in this sloppy mess would make it a bit better. I think he does, but not enough. Then again, I watched "Orca the Killer Whale" all the way through so I can probably get through this show too.

I will put the rest of my thoughts behind a spoiler button. I don't want to give anything away just in case anyone else is brave enough to try this one on.

First note: There are too many flashbacks in the first episode. I get that they have to explain how we got to the start of the story, but 2/3 of this episode is pent in the past. Maybe it would have been better if they started the show in the past and then used the "14 years later..." technique to bring the story forward - and stay there.

The real issue is the main character is not very likeable. But as a teenager in the flashbacks, she is even more unlikeable, in fact she is detestable. Once you see her as a kid you want the creatures to eat her first! Then when you find out what here and her sister are responsible for, your reaction is, "of course!" I am not sure who the target audience is for this show, but if it is teenagers then when you watch this story develop with this obnoxious, bratty, disrespectful, young woman, who thinks it is okay to assault other students, even bullies, and of course she sees ever other student as an awful person, then you sort of understand why some young kids take a gun and shoot up their schools. Maybe our young heroes should have more respect for others and not think everyone is a bad person. We need more Peter Parkers and less of the nitwits promoted by this show.

That fact that she is unlikeable makes the show unwatchable. It is not a casting issue. It is a writing issue. Episode 1 ends with a cliffhanger involving the main character. I am sure most viewers are not thinking, "does she make it or not?" My guess is they are thinking, "I hope she doesn't make it!"

A note about the computer generated graphics: They are awful. The original RE movie released in 2002 had better special effects that this show and CGI is both cheaper and way more advanced than it was 20 years ago. The creatures in this show had a very 1990s SYFY channel look to them. There is one scene in a Umbrella offices conference room where an infected dog jumps up on a table into a 3D projection of a teddy bear. Oh, the irony! The 3d teddy bear was a better effect than the infected dog! It is never a good thing when a new shows has a 1990s SYFY vibe to it.

Episode 1 gets less than 1 star from me. How this show is trending on Netflix is a complete mystery to me - or a lie. I haven't decided if I will watch episode 2 yet. It depends on what else is available to watch when I am working out. But I go to the dentist every 6 months, I have a cystoscopy every year, I watched the new Sex and the City show with my wife, I pick up my dogs poop and when she pukes I am there with the paper towels, so how bad can episode 2 be?

Then again, I never finished watching season 2 of The Tick.
I made it through 2 episodes and regretted every second of watching the 2nd one........ I thought the same thing, Reddick would make it better, but yeah not nearly enough, there is so much awful to overcome.
You are right, the main issue is that character is so thoroughly and utterly detestable and obnoxious. I was not only rooting against her, but hoped it would be an early and particularly gruesome end. Not only did they start it, she continually ends up getting everyone around her killed and after reading other reviews of those brave souls that watched the whole thing, she does that through the whole season. She would have been a better villain, I guess in a way she is, but even a good villain is somewhat interesting, she's not even that. It's hard to believe someone would willingly write a main character like that and even harder to believe some exec at Netflix could watch that and still give it the greenlight.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Been watching "Black Bird" and it's been great so far. It's based on a true story about a serial killer and the FBI tries to recruit a con to transfer to that prison and befriend the serial killer for information. It's also one of Ray Liotta's last roles and plays the con's father. The actor playing Hall eerily looks just like him too.

paul-walter-hauser-larry-dewayne-hall.jpg

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Been watching "Black Bird" and it's been great so far. It's based on a true story about a serial killer and the FBI tries to recruit a con to transfer to that prison and befriend the serial killer for information. It's also one of Ray Liotta's last roles and plays the con's father. The actor playing Hall eerily looks just like him too.

paul-walter-hauser-larry-dewayne-hall.jpg

This intrigues me. May have to give this a whirl after I wrap up The Boys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
13 Lives, Amazon, is a fascinating 2.5 hour journey into the rescue operation of the soccer team and their coach from the flooded caves in Thailand.

So many coming together and the amount of work done was tremendous.

It does seem to move slowly but not nearly as slow as for those trapped in that cave.

There aren't enough films like this to make us proud to be humans. Ron Howard did another fine job.

Creeper

Reaction score
I made it through 2 episodes and regretted every second of watching the 2nd one........ I thought the same thing, Reddick would make it better, but yeah not nearly enough, there is so much awful to overcome.
You are right, the main issue is that character is so thoroughly and utterly detestable and obnoxious. I was not only rooting against her, but hoped it would be an early and particularly gruesome end. Not only did they start it, she continually ends up getting everyone around her killed and after reading other reviews of those brave souls that watched the whole thing, she does that through the whole season. She would have been a better villain, I guess in a way she is, but even a good villain is somewhat interesting, she's not even that. It's hard to believe someone would willingly write a main character like that and even harder to believe some exec at Netflix could watch that and still give it the greenlight.

I went ahead and watched episode 2. I didn't think it was as bad as episode 1 but it is still not good.

You are absolutely correct that the main character, who I think is supposed to be the protagonist, is just such an unlikeable person it makes the show bad. After watching episode 1 I thought it was just bad writing and not the actress, but after episode 2 I am wondering, maybe it is the actress who is playing the role a little too strong. The problem with so many of these shows is they want the teenage characters be be obnoxious and full of angst. Writers should watch Dark Matter to see that a youthful character can be interesting and likeable at the same time. Then again, maybe teenagers today find the obnoxious brat likeable, which is itself a problem for society I guess.

We also have to remember there is a cartoonish element to the video game too, and all the movies, so we should take that into account in this series.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Gray Man on Netflix. 6.5/10 Entertaining flick. Started off pretty good, but went off the rails, as if they were competing for the "Most Implausible Action Scenes" award. Had they cleaned up the story, replaced Chris Evans with a better actor, and made the action scenes more realistic, they could have made it a very good movie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I finally finished watching Season 3 of ‘The Boys’ last night. And while I still found it enjoyable, I also starting getting the impression of ‘writers’ fatigue’ and a sense that there’s not many big ideas that they have left. It felt to me like they’re just rearranging the same pieces on the board. I hope I’m wrong about that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I finally finished watching Season 3 of ‘The Boys’ last night. And while I still found it enjoyable, I also starting getting the impression of ‘writers’ fatigue’ and a sense that there’s not many big ideas that they have left. It felt to me like they’re just rearranging the same pieces on the board. I hope I’m wrong about that.
It seems like they've eschewed story writing for shock value lately. I hope they turn that around next season.