***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
I think most people will disagree with you saying that Game of Thrones was not that great. It ended poorly as they rushed to get done with it, no question about that, but prior to that it was well-received and liked.

I have never seen a prequel that was better than the original. I have seen several sequels that were better than the original show.

As I said before, I am not saying that prequels are never good. I have enjoyed a lot of shows and movies that were prequels, but never as much and definitely not more than the originals.

They are just hamstrung by the limits defined by the original movie/show and more so by the well-known eventual outcome.

To me that's no different than starting to a read a new book and someone says, "the main character dies as the end". It may be a great book, but now the story bookends (who and what) are defined leaving only the "how" left to learn.

They're doing a Jon Snow spinoff series based after the events of Thrones and rumors are most likely an Arya spinoff as well.

Better Call Saul was unique in that it was both a prequel and a sequel and they pulled it off brilliantly. Just depends on the story, writing, acting, etc.

Big_D

Reaction score
Started watching “Mike” on Hulu. about Tyson .. well done the way they tell the story. The guy playing Tyson does a good job.

Also been watching Bad Sister’s on Apple. About 5 episodes in. Really liking it so far. Definitely worth a watch!

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I am in the middle of watching the Apple Tv six episode series Black Bird. It is an incredibly intense drama series with very good acting. Basically it is a true story of a man convicted of illegal gun running. The Feds bargain to commute his sentence if he would go into a Prison Mental Hospital that has the worst of the worse convicts, and get a serial killer about to be released to give them information on some of his killings in order to keep him there. Very well written and very well acted. Highly recommend.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have never understood why they create prequel movies and TV shows. I have never watched any prequel and thought, "This is way better than the original."

I am not saying they are never good, just that they are never as good as their original shows.

They should focus on sequels more than prequels. With prequels, everyone knows what happens, they just do not know how it happens.

With sequels, you have no idea what will happen and the original writers and directors have a chance to tell a new story and perhaps do things they wished they had done in the original story without the limitations inflicted by the original story.

A Game of Thrones sequel would have likely been a great story and would have been a great way to make up for the failures of season 8 from the original show.

I have not watched House of the Dragon and probably will not any time soon, but I already know what happened, just not how it happened. If it were a sequel, I would have no idea what will happen.

I have to agree with you. There are some examples where the prequel/sequel was as good if not better than the original but they are few. Most are just generated to make money off the original idea.

But the problem with House of the Dragon vs GoT is 8 seasons of character development with GoT and an all new character set in House of the Dragon. GoT is not the same without the Starks, etc. The minimal references to their families in House is insufficient to spark our interest. Maybe this is the problem with most prequels. The Sopranos prequel movie tried, but failed miserably because seeing the characters as younger people didn't work, because as you said, we know how they all end up, and frankly, the actors were not as convincing as the original cast. The reason the Godfather 2 movie was good was because DeNiro sold the young Don Corleone character.

But for me, the problem with House is that it is one main storyline and there is not enough to fill an hour per week for however many weeks with interesting scenes. House drags in some episodes, and one thing about GoT, it was rarely boring.

I am also tired of the angsty teenage daughter characters in so many movies and series. I don't care if she rides dragons or not. Arya Stark was that kind of character but done more as a fighter than a brat. It worked way better than a princess who acts just to anger her father who has to deal with all the treachery around him in addition to preparing a little brat for a daughter to take the throne someday.

House of the Dragon is good, but not nearly as good as GoT with so many great characters coming and going in the story.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on whether a prequel time lines into the story it is preceded by or just leads up to it.

Better Call Saul was a good prequel because we didn't know how he arrived to be that person and he was an instant hit with the fans. Plus, they kept us in suspense with what might happen to the other main character in that last season. I would like to see a prequel about Mike but it would have to be played by another actor.

Big_D

Reaction score
I have to agree with you. There are some examples where the prequel/sequel was as good if not better than the original but they are few. Most are just generated to make money off the original idea.

But the problem with House of the Dragon vs GoT is 8 seasons of character development with GoT and an all new character set in House of the Dragon. GoT is not the same without the Starks, etc. The minimal references to their families in House is insufficient to spark our interest. Maybe this is the problem with most prequels. The Sopranos prequel movie tried, but failed miserably because seeing the characters as younger people didn't work, because as you said, we know how they all end up, and frankly, the actors were not as convincing as the original cast. The reason the Godfather 2 movie was good was because DeNiro sold the young Don Corleone character.

But for me, the problem with House is that it is one main storyline and there is not enough to fill an hour per week for however many weeks with interesting scenes. House drags in some episodes, and one thing about GoT, it was rarely boring.

I am also tired of the angsty teenage daughter characters in so many movies and series. I don't care if she rides dragons or not. Arya Stark was that kind of character but done more as a fighter than a brat. It worked way better than a princess who acts just to anger her father who has to deal with all the treachery around him in addition to preparing a little brat for a daughter to take the throne someday.

House of the Dragon is good, but not nearly as good as GoT with so many great characters coming and going in the story.

It’s only 4 episodes in. Season 1 of GoT there was very little fanfare. It certainly wasn’t the monster it turned into down the line. It took some time.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I am in the middle of watching the Apple Tv six episode series Black Bird. It is an incredibly intense drama series with very good acting. Basically it is a true story of a man convicted of illegal gun running. The Feds bargain to commute his sentence if he would go into a Prison Mental Hospital that has the worst of the worse convicts, and get a serial killer about to be released to give them information on some of his killings in order to keep him there. Very well written and very well acted. Highly recommend.
I really liked it as well. It's amazing how much the actor looked like the real life serial killer.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I won't disagree, but I will say after watching season 8 a second time I changed my mind a little about how bad it was. It was nowhere near as good as the first 4 seasons but it was not as bad as I originally thought either.

I don't know man
Euron Greyjoy story line was terrible IMO. The way he killed the dragon as easy as he did was ridiculous. The whole White Walker storyline resolved by Ayra stabbing one with a dagger? Made them not even matter. While I don't have an issue with Dany's turn, it was rushed and felt artificial. 7 seasons worth of character growth for her to turn in a few episodes. In fact the whole thing was rushed and the writing got lazy. Characters were teleporting across continents. The Bran King thing, so dumb.
. I have never seen a show become such a cultural phenomenon and just drop off the cliff like this one did. That is how bad it was.

Big_D

Reaction score
I don't know man
Euron Greyjoy story line was terrible IMO. The way he killed the dragon as easy as he did was ridiculous. The whole White Walker storyline resolved by Ayra stabbing one with a dagger? Made them not even matter. While I don't have an issue with Dany's turn, it was rushed and felt artificial. 7 seasons worth of character growth for her to turn in a few episodes. In fact the whole thing was rushed and the writing got lazy. Characters were teleporting across continents. The Bran King thing, so dumb.
. I have never seen a show become such a cultural phenomenon and just drop off the cliff like this one did. That is how bad it was.

Danys turn was ridiculous. Then it looked like **** Germany at the end. And Bran? I still don't get it. The writers definitely went over the top with the final season. It was well crafted for 4 or 5 years years. I think the overall body of work still made it a great show and the entertainment value was there.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They're doing a Jon Snow spinoff series based after the events of Thrones and rumors are most likely an Arya spinoff as well.

Better Call Saul was unique in that it was both a prequel and a sequel and they pulled it off brilliantly. Just depends on the story, writing, acting, etc.
I thought an Arya spinoff was first in line. That's what I'll renew my HBO subscription to see.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Danys turn was ridiculous. Then it looked like **** Germany at the end. And Bran? I still don't get it. The writers definitely went over the top with the final season. It was well crafted for 4 or 5 years years. I think the overall body of work still made it a great show and the entertainment value was there.
They wanted to get it over with, IMO. They were less concerned with quality and more worried about fulfilling their obligation.

Big_D

Reaction score
They wanted to get it over with, IMO. They were less concerned with quality and more worried about fulfilling their obligation.

The show was quality, when did they flip the switch to just being a matter of fulfilling an obligation? I think once the book material was used up and the writers took over the story it became a problem. You can bet if/when Martin ever finishes his version, it will look nothing like that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The show was quality, when did they flip the switch to just being a matter of fulfilling an obligation? I think once the book material was used up and the writers took over the story it became a problem. You can bet if/when Martin ever finishes his version, it will look nothing like that.
Exactly.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm gonna channel my inner Rockport for a sec:

I am enjoying House of the Dragon but I do not think it has gotten as good as Game of Thrones yet. That is all.

Big_D

Reaction score
I'm gonna channel my inner Rockport for a sec:

I am enjoying House of the Dragon but I do not think it has gotten as good as Game of Thrones yet. That is all.

Thats going to take some time. So far a nice job in certain aspects. with the opening credits and a lot of references and ancestry tying it to GoT. I think whoever is in charge has an opportunity to learn from the mistakes of the original and it could ultimately be better, it’s not there yet!