***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not really my intention to criticize the show, I just want the origin story before I can go all in. I'd probably accept whatever they offered to show how it all came about, I just want something. If the timeline started 200 years in the future, I doubt that I'd give it a second thought, because the tech 200 years from now will be so far advanced.

But I do love the show as it is, and I think Chloë Grace Moretz does a fantastic job as the protagonist, and everyone else seems like a good casting choice too, with the possible exception of Louis Herthum as Corbell Pickett. He just seems more scummy than smart, and I think the character would need to be intelligent, with an air of respectability he doesn't portray.
Anything I hear or read an acceptable timeframe for present day technology and future technology, I think of the Wright Brothers, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. The Wright Brothers flew in 1903. Armstrong and Aldrin were walking on the moon in 1969. In less than seven decades, two guys were standing on the moon's surface looking back at billions of their kin on Earth.

Literally over 99.9% of folks in 1903 didn't think technology would quickly advance that much. That's why I can just as easily accept a fictional timeframe of 70 years, seen in the show, as I can for 200 years.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Anything I hear or read an acceptable timeframe for present day technology and future technology, I think of the Wright Brothers, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. The Wright Brothers flew in 1903. Armstrong and Aldrin were walking on the moon in 1969. In less than seven decades, two guys were standing on the moon's surface looking back at billions of their kin on Earth.

Literally over 99.9% of folks in 1903 thought technology would quickly advance that much. That's why I can just as easily accept a fictional timeframe of 70 years, seen in the show, as I can for 200 years.
Is that how you meant that sentence to read?

When I refer to the start of the timeline, I mean 2028, where (when) Flynn lives.
If that were 200 - or even 70 years from now, I could more easily accept the tech being advanced enough in Flynn's time to communicate with the peripherals' time.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just finished all 3 seasons of Dead to Me. I actually liked it for the most part. Dark humor is always fun. Season 3 got too serious and tear jerky for me. I would have preferred it was more positive. But overall, it was a good watch.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that how you meant that sentence to read?
Whoops! I meant "Literally over 99.9% of folks in 1903 didn't think technology would quickly advance that much." Gonna fix that now. :laugh:

When I refer to the start of the timeline, I mean 2028, where (when) Flynn lives.
If that were 200 - or even 70 years from now, I could more easily accept the tech being advanced enough in Flynn's time to communicate with the peripherals' time.
oh. I totally misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

I completely disagree. I think the 2028 technology seen in the show is believable EXCEPT the combat haptic stuff shared between Burton and his buddies.

The future technology must simply be downgradeable to present day (e.g. 2028) tech. Today's communication technology (and six years from now) translates frequencies sent through air, space and even water, into data. That capability is decades old.

The show's creators can explain it far better than I can. The basic concept is a future computer being able to talk with a past computer in 2028. It's 2022. Computers wirelessly speak with each other all the time. It would be the same in 2028. The series' science fiction component is getting a signal sent one-way or both ways through some sort of time portal.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whoops! I meant "Literally over 99.9% of folks in 1903 didn't think technology would quickly advance that much." Gonna fix that now. :laugh:

oh. I totally misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

I completely disagree. I think the 2028 technology seen in the show is believable EXCEPT the combat haptic stuff shared between Burton and his buddies.

The future technology must simply be downgradeable to present day (e.g. 2028) tech. Today's communication technology (and six years from now) translates frequencies sent through air, space and even water, into data. That capability is decades old.

The show's creators can explain it far better than I can. The basic concept is a future computer being able to talk with a past computer in 2028. It's 2022. Computers wirelessly speak with each other all the time. It would be the same in 2028. The series' science fiction component is getting a signal sent one-way or both ways through some sort of time portal.
Hmm, maybe they can create a stable microsopic wormhole. I'd buy that, but still want an origin story, even if it's just 10 minutes of an episode.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched limited series The Midnight Club - Glad it was a limited series. Pretty predictable but ok. Just could not see it lasting long.

Currently watching Devil in Ohio - another limited series that has similar vibes. The wife likes the horror movies and shows so sometimes we watch some that are not the best. But tend to end them very quickly if they are really bad lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Faith Ford played Corky Sherwood on Murphy Brown. DE is talking about Riki Lindhome. She has a great scene in the 2013 movie Hell Baby. I highly recommend that scene, but not the movie. ;)
@Juggernaut beat me to Faith Ford/Riki Lindhome. They do kinda favor each other but Ford has about 15 years on Lindhome.

Yep. The eighth episode was the season finale of The Peripheral. Just when it was really getting good too.
I just looked at Riki's photo, and I don't know how I thought she was Faith Ford. I remember her now from Big Bang Theory. What the heck kind of tricks is my mind playing on me??? It must be a brain tumor.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I know you guys were tuned into the cownoys game tonight but the yellowstone episode tonight was incredible. The writing, the acting the scenery and raw emotion was epic. It was the best episode if the season so far. Captivating

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know you guys were tuned into the cownoys game tonight but the yellowstone episode tonight was incredible. The writing, the acting the scenery and raw emotion was epic. It was the best episode if the season so far. Captivating
Tomorrow, if I can watch this season for free.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
She also played Corky Sherwood - Forrest on Murphy Brown.
The dancing scene in Wednesday was absolutely adorable. I'd never heard of Jenna Ortega before, but I'm a huge fan now.

Is The Peripheral season 1 over?
Faith Ford played Corky Sherwood on Murphy Brown. DE is talking about Riki Lindhome. She has a great scene in the 2013 movie Hell Baby. I highly recommend that scene, but not the movie. ;)
I just looked at Riki's photo, and I don't know how I thought she was Faith Ford. I remember her now from Big Bang Theory. What the heck kind of tricks is my mind playing on me??? It must be a brain tumor.
Hopefully the LASIK hasn't diminished this quickly. If you need a full look at Riki to see the difference, then I highly recommend skipping 52 minutes into Hell Baby. You won't make that mistake again. ;)

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Wife loves "His Dark Materials" and devotedly watching the new season.

Never seen it before, but do know there are a lot of polar bears and Wolverine's niece.

Finished up She-Hulk finally... meh. Moon Knight was much better. Good for Marvel though with Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk trying to make the comic book viewers more than a sausage party.

Saw Nope on Peacock. Okay, not as good as the first two Peele horror flicks. Like that guy's movies, but he's quickly becoming another M. Knight Shyamalan.

Biggest disappointment lately is ESPN's 30 for 30. Kept my Disney+ bundle just to watch more of those premieres, because it definitely wasn't for the soccer or NHL, and they have stunk lately. Maybe they are running out of topics.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wife loves "His Dark Materials" and devotedly watching the new season.

Never seen it before, but do know there are a lot of polar bears and Wolverine's niece.

Finished up She-Hulk finally... meh. Moon Knight was much better. Good for Marvel though with Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk trying to make the comic book viewers more than a sausage party.

Saw Nope on Peacock. Okay, not as good as the first two Peele horror flicks. Like that guy's movies, but he's quickly becoming another M. Knight Shyamalan.

Biggest disappointment lately is ESPN's 30 for 30. Kept my Disney+ bundle just to watch more of those premieres, because it definitely wasn't for the soccer or NHL, and they have stunk lately. Maybe they are running out of topics.
The 360 on the California Deaf School with Kurt Warner was excellent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anyone is a Springsteen fan, and I am, the Howard Stern interview with him on HBO is first rate and his latest album, paying homage to the soul/Jersey beach music that started his career is also terrific. Stern, who I am not a fan of, does a great job with some questions I was not anticipating.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just finished "The Peripheral." I am a little confused but I really liked it. Looking forward to the next season. I have a theory about it.

I am wondering if the entire series is actually in a VR. In other words, when CGM put on the headset for the first time, she never took it off. The entire story, present and future is actually really just a SIM. Kind of like Total Recall only VR instead of an implanted memory. I can't think of anything that would make that not a possibility.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've started watching Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. It's a Korean series about a woman on the Autism Spectrum who becomes a lawyer. It has some of what I've always thought was bad acting, but am starting to think is more of just a cultural difference, possibly combined with bad voice acting. But the main character, and supporting cast are probably the best I've seen in the genre. The actress in the lead role is exceptional, IMO, with affectations that seem both genuine and endearing. I'm halfway through episode 3, and I give the first episode an 8, the second episode a 7, and so far, a 7.5 for the third.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just finished all 3 seasons of Dead to Me. I actually liked it for the most part. Dark humor is always fun. Season 3 got too serious and tear jerky for me. I would have preferred it was more positive. But overall, it was a good watch.
Some of the best acting in that series that I have ever seen..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finished Wednesday. It was even better than I thought it would be. The pacing was evenly distributed through all eight episodes. Cannot wait until the second season.
My favorite line of many great dryly delivered lines: "Of course the first boy I kiss would be a psychotic serial killing monster. I must have a type. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Finished Wednesday. It was even better than I thought it would be. The pacing was evenly distributed through all eight episodes. Cannot wait until the second season.
My favorite line of many great dryly delivered lines: "Of course the first boy I kiss would be a psychotic serial killing monster. I must have a type. :laugh:
The dance was the most memorable part for me. Jenna Ortega killed it. I'm a fan.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
If you are a Star Trek fan (I enjoy the shows I have watched but am not that huge of a fan myself), Pluto TV has made some changes. They've had a Star Trek channel for some time though it seemed to be just select episodes of TNG. Now they have a second channel called More Star Trek. As I type this, the original series is on the main channel and DS9 is on the new More channel. Nice improvement to already good service.

Do you like rom-coms? I find them ok sometimes. And Hallmark Christmas moves? I've never really watched those movies, so I am only guessing that Christmas With You on Netflix is in that same vein. I watched it the other day as I enjoyed some of Freddie Prinze Jr.'s previous work (even Wing Commander). The movie was about what I'd expect from a romantic comedy set around Christmas. If you are into that stuff, I say give it a try.