***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

DanteEXT

Reaction score
End of an era.

It’s an odd thing, but I miss the video store experience. Things are certainly easier and more convenient, but there was something exciting about actually going to the video store.

Or maybe I’m just getting too old?
:oldcouple:
Maybe a combination but I'm right there with ya. I recently moved but my previous town had a Family Video until a year or two ago. I liked going and walking the new release wall. I'd pick a movie or two to rent, and write down movies to check on Netflix, etc. Especially the straight to video movies I'd not heard about before.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe a combination but I'm right there with ya. I recently moved but my previous town had a Family Video until a year or two ago. I liked going and walking the new release wall. I'd pick a movie or two to rent, and write down movies to check on Netflix, etc. Especially the straight to video movies I'd not heard about before.
Yeah. That ‘discovery’ part of the process was fun. I can’t tell you how many films I found that way. (Usually after the movie I initially went there for was sold out!)

And there was something special about the flashing lights and the ads and posters. I barely know what rental is at this point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Tuesdays were new releases so I would try and swing by the Blockbuster when they opened, score the videos, burn them and get the new releases back to the store the next day.

Technically, this was a crime but I looked at it differently. It was for mine and my wife's viewing only, I would not even loan them out. If it was a good one, I would order the DVD, later the Blu-Ray, for my collection and I looked at it as I was doing a service to my fellow renters and getting the new releases back on the shelves as soon as I could. And after all, I was paying to rent the DVDs. At least this was my rehearsed defense to the FBI when they showed up to take me off to Ripper/Burner Island Prison. Which should have been a Direct to Video movie starring Eric Roberts and Steven Seagal.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
And Tuesdays were new releases so I would try and swing by the Blockbuster when they opened, score the videos, burn them and get the new releases back to the store the next day.

Technically, this was a crime but I looked at it differently. It was for mine and my wife's viewing only, I would not even loan them out. If it was a good one, I would order the DVD, later the Blu-Ray, for my collection and I looked at it as I was doing a service to my fellow renters and getting the new releases back on the shelves as soon as I could. And after all, I was paying to rent the DVDs. At least this was my rehearsed defense to the FBI when they showed up to take me off to Ripper/Burner Island Prison. Which should have been a Direct to Video movie starring Eric Roberts and Steven Seagal.
:laugh: I may or may not be guilty of that with both DVD and VHS

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh: I may or may not be guilty of that with both DVD and VHS
I did own two VCR’s.

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Yeah, that’s illegal as hell.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the beach? You have a twisted view of life.
There would be other things I would be doing besides arguing on a sports board all the time.

Fishing, snorkeling, scuba....I would say kite surfing or surfing in general but I am afraid that would be out of my ability right now.

When we went to USVI a few years ago on vacation, I was too busy enjoying snorkeling or sitting at the bar on the beach enjoying a nice cold beverage.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There would be other things I would be doing besides arguing on a sports board all the time.

Fishing, snorkeling, scuba....I would say kite surfing or surfing in general but I am afraid that would be out of my ability right now.

When we went to USVI a few years ago on vacation, I was too busy enjoying snorkeling or sitting at the bar on the beach enjoying a nice cold beverage.
I do a lot of hiking and snorkeling.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
End of an era.

It’s an odd thing, but I miss the video store experience. Things are certainly easier and more convenient, but there was something exciting about actually going to the video store.

I absolutely miss it. It made having a movie night an "event" Get with friends/family, go out, stroll through the video store, grab some snacks, maybe some dinner (or order a pizza), and head home for a cozy movie night. It was great. Sure, the conveinance of just powering on your tv and renting a movie is great, but a movie night just lost some of it's magic. (Be kind. Please rewind!)

Definitely miss some of the simpler times. Though, you do wonder how much nostalgia plays a role?? If you could take a time machine back and spend a week, would you be hating the idea of running up to the video store, renting a VHS, and watching a movie on a tube TV in 240p? lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I absolutely miss it. It made having a movie night an "event" Get with friends/family, go out, stroll through the video store, grab some snacks, maybe some dinner (or order a pizza), and head home for a cozy movie night. It was great. Sure, the conveinance of just powering on your tv and renting a movie is great, but a movie night just lost some of it's magic. (Be kind. Please rewind!)

Definitely miss some of the simpler times. Though, you do wonder how much nostalgia plays a role?? If you could take a time machine back and spend a week, would you be hating the idea of running up to the video store, renting a VHS, and watching a movie on a tube TV in 240p? lol
Let’s find out.

b4a935a6-3455-4da7-882d-789d3bda067d_text.gif

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I thought Obi-Wan had some embarrassing missteps. Cringe-worthy casting and backstory for the female Inquisitor. Some poorly-staged action scenes where it felt like the Director had no experience. As well as some bush-league editing and effects (in spots).

Definitely some highs and lows with that series.
I agree to a point but nothing really reached and slapped me in the face to criticize. I think the female empire general turning on Vader was handled poorly. All that time spent preparing for that one, inopportune moment to take out Vader was a head scratcher.

I really think the last fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was excellent as I really did feel the conflict with Anakin/Vader.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree to a point but nothing really reached and slapped me in the face to criticize. I think the female empire general turning on Vader was handled poorly. All that time spent preparing for that one, inopportune moment to take out Vader was a head scratcher.

I really think the last fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was excellent as I really did feel the conflict with Anakin/Vader.
It seems that our likes and dislikes were very similar.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
End of an era.

I do remember a video store in Austin that also sold pizza, you could pick out your movie while you wait for your pie, or if feeling lazy they would actually deliver the pizza and movie........ it was the coolest thing ever at the time. :thumbup: