***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have to give my weekly commentary of the show "From" on MGM+ because it is both intriguing and maddening at the same time. I am invested so I won't stop watching, however, this show is meandering all over the horror genre and feels like the writers are making it up as they go along with no real ending in mind. As I said, the intrigue is there, but is it what will happen next? or what will these clown writers think up next? I have this terrible feeling this story will never end. It will be canceled before we the viewers learn the answers to any of the mysteries, just like the show "Outcast". Or, lacking any kind of coherent explanation for the previous episodes they will contrive something ridiculous without an real explanation. It will be the equivalent of the Sopranos black screen ending.

Last week the show ended when a bus full of new characters pulled into town. This week it was up to the current residents of spooky-town to explain what is happening there. This is where I literally screamed at the TV. "Get it out, man!" I know it would be nearly impossible to explain what was happening in the town but at least try. It seemed like the townspeople fell silent when it was time to say "Shut up and listen to me!".

Then, we are introduced to a new character who for some reason is chained to a wall. The town "sheriff finds him and want to free him from the wall but for some reason has no interest in how the guy got there. When the chained guy tells him it wasn't the usual scary creatures who chained him up but something much worse the sheriff is uncurious about what it was that did chain the guy up. It is almost bizarre. Wouldn't the obvious question be, "like what?"

To me this is lazy writing. It looks like the writers could not come up with a clever way to write these scenes so they just wrote around them leaving me, the viewer, annoyed and frustrated. Or worse, they deliberately avoided the expected dialogue in order to avoid the real explanation for what is happening in the town - probably because they have not determined that in their own heads yet.

Season 2 of "From" giving some indications of Fonzy on a water ski heading in the direction of the man-eating sharks.
I'm thinking Walt and the man in black have teamed up - pretty sure they are behind it all. Just messing with Michael... :)

Man, I'm right there with you. I'm invested, like the story but this past episode had some many *** moments. Also, the guy on the bus at the end, my goodness that is the smile of nightmares.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Hey you Trekkies, what’s the best series if I haven’t watched any since the original one decades ago?

Just added Paramount+ and they seem to have all of them.
I'd go with Strange New Worlds, it has a few characters from the original series that will be familiar. It follows Captain Pike, who was one of Kirk's predecessors in the original series, it's also closest in spirit of the original series. While it does have a series wide story arc embedded, it's an adventure of the week style like the original but very much updated, Gorn ain't no joke in this series.

It's only had one season, but the second season drops next month. Except for the Season 3 of Picard, it's been my fav season of any of the newer Star Treks.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey you Trekkies, what’s the best series if I haven’t watched any since the original one decades ago?

Paramount owns the Star Trek franchise, so all of the various series can be found on its streaming service. The only series I have not seen is Lower Decks. I’ve tried but it does not keep my attention. Even Prodigy has gotten my full attention.

I have a fondness for all of the shows, minus LD. I would recommend certain seasons for each series similar to what @Stash suggested earlier.

However, you have watched The Original Series. For that reason, I would recommend The Next Generation. It has its own style and persona but is the closest in episodic structure as TOS.

Don’t be like me though, watch the first episode, Encounter At Farpoint, thinking you’ll get more of the old Trek, and give up on it prematurely until you run across another episode Contagion and get hooked. Give it a chance if the first few episodes do not wow you. It’s worth the gamble.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Anything other than deep space nine
Never could get beyond a couple episodes at a time.

You could start with the order in which they came out.
Or you could go with the order in time the shows were a part of.

The next generation aka TNG is good but it really looks dated now.
Deep Space Nine
Voyager was good
Enterprise was good, it was set as the first and before Kirk. Stars Scott Backula
Discovery good
Picard good
Strange new Worlds

They also have a few different animated series on there but I have not watched them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@CouchCoach, I do not necessarily consider these as the best three episodes of each live-action series but as a very good (in my opinion) sampling of each show. For the most part, I removed multi-part episodes from each show except Voyager (sue me Trek fans). I also stayed away from premiere and finale episodes. In all, I believe they highlight very good to great television entertainment in classic Star Trek form:

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 2: Q Who
Season 5: Darmok
Season 6: The Inner Light

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Season 1: Duet
Season 6: Sacrifice of Angels
Season 6: In The Pale Moonlight

Star Trek: Voyager
Season 3: Scorpion, Part 1
Season 4: Scorpion, Part 2
Season 5: Timeless

Star Trek: Enterprise
Season 1: Silent Enemy
Season 2: Carbon Creek
Season 3: Similitude

Star Trek: Discovery
Season 1: What's Past Is Prologue
Season 2: Project Daedalus
Season 3: Unification III

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Ghosts of Illyria
All Those Who Wander
Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach

Star Trek: Picard
Season 1: Absolute Candor
Season 3: The Next Generation
Season 3: Disengage

EDIT: Think of the list as a sort of test drive to get a feel of what a particular series has in store. :)

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
@CouchCoach, I do not necessarily consider these as the best three episodes of each live-action series but as a very good (in my opinion) sampling of each show. For the most part, I removed multi-part episodes from each show except Voyager (sue me Trek fans). I also stayed away from premiere and finale episodes. In all, I believe they highlight very good to great television entertainment in classic Star Trek form:

Ghosts of Illyria
All Those Who Wander

EDIT: Think of the list as a sort of test drive to get a feel of what a particular series has in store. :)
Wow, someone went full Trekkie Nerd, here. I'm guessing that there's more than an even chance that you were wearing "Spock ears" while you typed this up........ :facepalm:

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Has anyone here watched the Series Suits? I watched the 1st two episodes and was somewhat intrigued. One of teh two main characters has that James Spader vibe going on. I am not sure if I watch much longer if I will get bored with it but the 1st two episodes were good. One thing I have already determined is that Megan Markle is a horrible actress. Any opinions before I go down that rabbit hole of nine seasons.

Sorry, I meant to Say Megan Markle, Duchess of Sussex.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has anyone here watched the Series Suits? I watched the 1st two episodes and was somewhat intrigued. One of teh two main characters has that James Spader vibe going on. I am not sure if I watch much longer if I will get bored with it but the 1st two episodes were good. One thing I have already determined is that Megan Markle is a horrible actress. Any opinions before I go down that rabbit hole of nine seasons.

Sorry, I meant to Say Megan Markle, Duchess of Sussex.
Donna is a hottie and has a walk that says "you will never be the same".

I agree, the royalty seeker is not a good actress and doesn't really add anything but Gabriel Macht was made for that character and the guy that plays Lewis is entertaining.

I watched the entire thing and while it did get a little to formulaic with the ultimate outcomes, it was different and I don't regret the time spent.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I'm very excited for the Silo series that just came out on Apple. I loved the books.

morasp

Reaction score

Ghosts of Illyria
All Those Who Wander

Thoroughly enjoyed The Inner Light.