***Official Streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming sites thread***

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Going to pimp a free streaming service -- PBS.

Since Discovery, TLC and all those channels have decided they are no longer documentary channels, I have to go to other sources.

YouTube has a lot of good stuff. One of my favorites on that is a show called Nutty History. Talks about all the obscure real-world stuff that you never think about in a history book. PBS used to be even better because it was all free but even they have joined the subscription club. You can still watch anything from the last year though for free.

Been catching up on Nova, Nature, Frontline, some of the great documentary shows that they still make.

Most of the Ken Burns shows require a subscription which stinks. I guess he is their money maker. Always down for a Burns historical documentary. His all-time classic The Civil War, to Baseball, to Jazz, to Country Music, he has so many good ones to his name!

Just saw the Frontline on the Discord Intelligence Leaks. That is some crazy stuff. Basically, a bunch of covid-shutdown online gamer nerds formed a community, and it got out of control with this kid who worked for the military wanting to look cool and just starts publishing for his online buds whatever they wanted. If you belong to any fringe social media groups, and looking to pass any government background checks, I would probably cancel your membership now, because the government definitely learned from that one.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Since Discovery, TLC and all those channels have decided they are no longer documentary channels, I have to go to other sources.

YouTube has a lot of good stuff. One of my favorites on that is a show called Nutty History. Talks about all the obscure real-world stuff that you never think about in a history book. PBS used to be even better because it was all free but even they have joined the subscription club. You can still watch anything from the last year though for free.

Been catching up on Nova, Nature, Frontline, some of the great documentary shows that they still make.

Most of the Ken Burns shows require a subscription which stinks. I guess he is their money maker. Always down for a Burns historical documentary. His all-time classic The Civil War, to Baseball, to Jazz, to Country Music, he has so many good ones to his name!

Just saw the Frontline on the Discord Intelligence Leaks. That is some crazy stuff. Basically, a bunch of covid-shutdown online gamer nerds formed a community, and it got out of control with this kid who worked for the military wanting to look cool and just starts publishing for his online buds whatever they wanted. If you belong to any fringe social media groups, and looking to pass any government background checks, I would probably cancel your membership now, because the government definitely learned from that one.
puffer.stanford.edu has KQED (PBS) (Bay Area)

Only 500 at a time so just don't try when northern California sports are on.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Also, another recommendation, I saw the first episode of True Detective Season 4. Pretty good thus far. Still haven’t figured out if there is a supernatural theme or they are just messing with us. This has that — 30 Days of Night, Native-American spirit, The Thing — vibe to it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Also, another recommendation, I saw the first episode of True Detective Season 4. Pretty good thus far. Still haven’t figured out if there is a supernatural theme or they are just messing with us. This has that — 30 Days of Night, Native-American spirit, The Thing — vibe to it.
I got that same vibe from it too and throw in a pinch of the series, "Fortitude". I liked the first episode too, hoping it lives up or at least close to the first season.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You might like this channel on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/@odyssey

Big_D

Reaction score
Watched a few shows..

Ted- very funny. A quick 7 episodes and definitely recommend if juvenile humor is your thing. Prequel to when Johnny (the mark wahlberg character) was in high school.

Geddy Lee: Are bass players human too?
It’s cool to see him hanging out with other bassists. Getting a glimpse inside their personal lives and what they’re up to nowadays. 4 episodes about 25 minutes each. Bass players from Primus, Metallica, Hole and Nirvana.

Bookie-a good comedy. If anyone remembers putting in bets like this it’s a nice trip down memory lane. Lots of cameos and definitely worth checking out.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Watched a few shows..

Ted- very funny. A quick 7 episodes and definitely recommend if juvenile humor is your thing. Prequel to when Johnny (the mark wahlberg character) was in high school.
I loved Ted. Thought it was great.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched a few shows..

Geddy Lee: Are bass players human too?
It’s cool to see him hanging out with other bassists. Getting a glimpse inside their personal lives and what they’re up to nowadays. 4 episodes about 25 minutes each. Bass players from Primus, Metallica, Hole and Nirvana.

Bookie-a good comedy. If anyone remembers putting in bets like this it’s a nice trip down memory lane. Lots of cameos and definitely worth checking out.
Really liked the Ted movies.
Did not know if the show would be anywhere as good. Might have to give it a chance

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think there will be logical explanations for most of it, but the lady’s dead son guiding her doesn’t really fit that mold.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like the History Vault app. It has a bunch of their old documentaries and shows I used to love before they ruined the channel. It’s also reasonably priced at $4.99 per month.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I Spit on Your Grave(2010) on Prime. I was looking for something different and ran across this. It was surprisingly pretty good, it kept my attention. I think it is a remake of the cult classic from the ‘70’s. Mix in Saw, Cabin in the Woods and Wrong Turn and you get this movie.

A classic case of a woman being tortured, among other things, then getting revenge!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I Spit on Your Grave(2010) on Prime. I was looking for something different and ran across this. It was surprisingly pretty good, it kept my attention. I think it is a remake of the cult classic from the ‘70’s. Mix in Saw, Cabin in the Woods and Wrong Turn and you get this movie.

A classic case of a woman being tortured, among other things, then getting revenge!
I think I saw that once. Did it end in a river bed or something like that?

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Pretty good series. Michelle Yeoh lives in the States with her younger (college age) son, while her older son lives in Taipei with his father, who's the leader of a Triad gang.

Love Yeoh, and she doesn't disappoint...well, I was hoping to see her fighting, but she doesn't do much of that...so maybe she disappoints a little bit.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Pretty good series. Michelle Yeoh lives in the States with her younger (college age) son, while her older son lives in Taipei with his father, who's the leader of a Triad gang.

Love Yeoh, and she doesn't disappoint...well, I was hoping to see her fighting, but she doesn't do much of that...so maybe she disappoints a little bit.
I just finished this the other day. I liked it. Good combination of comedy and action. I think Michelle is getting a little long in the tooth to do too much fighting.

Has anyone watch the Netflix docuseries, "WW II: On the front lines"? I just started it today. It goes a little fast through some significant moments in the war but there is a lot of footage that has been enhanced and colorized that I have not seen before. In the first episode you get a real sense of how horrible the ***** actually were. I hope they give the Japanese the same treatment.

One point they stress is the German people, through some interview audio recordings, thought they were the good guys, if you can believe it. I think it shows just how effective German propaganda was. If you felt sorry for them when you read about the bombing of Dresden and other German cities, watch the footage of the German people cheering for Hitler after he destroyed Eastern Europe and then marched through France.

I have seen a lot of documentaries and series about WWII and history does not change in this one, but they did a good job finding new footage of the war and enhancing it to add color and clear up some of the scenes.

Creeper

Reaction score
Finished "WWII: On the Front Lines". It isn't bad. It covered WW2 at a very high level I thought. There are other WW2 documentaries that dive a little deeper into some of the more critical battles and events that altered the course of history, as well as the personalities. As I said in my previous post there is some footage I have not seen before which at times gives a better feel for how bad things were. The interviews of witnesses from all sides were interesting too.

I know it's crazy but every time I watch documentaries about Pearl Harbor I am triggered by how unprepared the United States was considering war had been raging in Europe, Asia and Africa before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Why would we not be on an alert footing for exactly that kind of attack. Why were all our battleships and destroyed docked like sitting ducks? Arrogance seems to have been the ipitfall on all sides.

I wonder, what would have happened had Japan not attacked Pearl Harbor? The US had a large population of people who wanted nothing to do with the war before Pearl Harbor. We were not going to enter the war unless provoked. If the US does not enter the war Japan probably conquers all of Asia, including Australia. Germany could have waited to attack Russia and most certainly would have conquered all of Europe, Northern Africa and the middle East.

The US may never have developed the atomic bomb, and Germany may have developed it first. The Man in the White Castle could have been a reality.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Finished "WWII: On the Front Lines". It isn't bad. It covered WW2 at a very high level I thought. There are other WW2 documentaries that dive a little deeper into some of the more critical battles and events that altered the course of history, as well as the personalities. As I said in my previous post there is some footage I have not seen before which at times gives a better feel for how bad things were. The interviews of witnesses from all sides were interesting too.

I know it's crazy but every time I watch documentaries about Pearl Harbor I am triggered by how unprepared the United States was considering war had been raging in Europe, Asia and Africa before Pearl Harbor was attacked. Why would we not be on an alert footing for exactly that kind of attack. Why were all our battleships and destroyed docked like sitting ducks? Arrogance seems to have been the ipitfall on all sides.

I wonder, what would have happened had Japan not attacked Pearl Harbor? The US had a large population of people who wanted nothing to do with the war before Pearl Harbor. We were not going to enter the war unless provoked. If the US does not enter the war Japan probably conquers all of Asia, including Australia. Germany could have waited to attack Russia and most certainly would have conquered all of Europe, Northern Africa and the middle East.

The US may never have developed the atomic bomb, and Germany may have developed it first. The Man in the White Castle could have been a reality.
There are people who believe they (we) knew the Japanese were coming, but they wanted a reason to join the war, so they let it happen.

That's one conspiracy theory I lean toward being very possible.

Creeper

Reaction score
There are people who believe they (we) knew the Japanese were coming, but they wanted a reason to join the war, so they let it happen.

That's one conspiracy theory I lean toward being very possible.
Yes, I heard that theory. Roosevelt was on of the people who wanted to join the war. Not sure I subscribe to it though.

Sometimes we don't comprehend the level of incompetence we are capable of I think. We saw it before 9/11 too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As a fan of World War II, there’s an interesting show I’m watching called how the ***** Lost The War. (I hope I can use that word in a strictly historical context)

It gives great insight and details into the timeline and bad decision after bad decision that were made by numerous people. But it also shows just how close they came to succeeding.

If you have the chance, I recommend watching it.