Officially the worst offseason ever?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Do you think Kam would be the same player without Sherman on one side and Earl Thomas next to him? Boy those guys give him a lot of freedom to play in the box.
Yes. Byron, despite not being a ball hawk like Thomas (or the hitter), still covers a lot of ground. I think Kam would shine and would take the risk, R.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
OP last season
Josh Norman, Olivier Vernon, Carson Wentz
The difference between us and the NFC East. All of our rivals made bold moves to improve their teams. We sat on our hands in free agency and drafted a redshirt second rounder. Our secondary needed an overhaul, and we re signed Mo and kept Carr instead. This is going to be a very frustrating year. As I've said before, this is not a playoff roster

://cowboyszone.com/threads/every-offseason-priority-failed.353030/
LOL'zzz

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
And I stand by that post and this one. We didn't make our defense better that offseason and it showed versus Green Bay when it mattered the most. We caught lightning in a bottle with Dak and made the playoffs (which no one could have predicted), but it was with a last place schedule and in spite of our defense. This year's offseason is worse because of the suspensions and because our rivals got comparably better on offense and we are relying on rookies and unproven players on defense. Again, I hope I am wrong and would be happy for you to show me this post next year.

I don't care what people say - I will take the rookies over Carr, Mo, Church and Wilcox. I'm pretty sure that they will be productive on defense and outshine the scrubs that we have as DBs for many years.

The reason why we lost against the Green Bay was that our DBs can't cover worth a lick. Thats all changed now with our new rookies.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Seattle at home is NOT scary.
We are the Danger

hqdefault.jpg

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
The worst part of this offseason to me is all this Super Bowl talk.

Not because I personally don't buy in to the hype but because this team has a history of accomplishing the least when the expectations are the highest.

If they can avoid eating the cheese and play with a chip on their collective shoulder the relatively minor hurdles this offseason has presented won't be much of an issue.

In fact the hurdles could be the fertilizer for that chip.

Can't wait to see how it plays out!

Bold is EXACTLY how I feel and why I believe a 6-10/7-9 season is imminent.

Plus, our players are talking too much

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I watched the 93 Dallas vs San Fran NFC championship game again the other day and what really stood out to me was the relentless pass rush we had back then. Boy, do we need someone to rush the passer. It would make everyone's job on D a lot easier................

Section446

Reaction score
Definitely wasn't a great off-season, everyone around us got better, we did not.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Definitely wasn't a great off-season, everyone around us got better, we did not.
Maybe. A lot depends on how the rookies do. Our secondary last year was average at best. It may be better this year. Our Dline could be better if Tapper and Taco can do something. Linebackers could be better is Smith is able to play and play well. Bottom line is we probably won't be worse and more then likely will be better on the Defense. Offense looks pretty solid once again. I don't think we are worse on paper then last year. Could be a fair bit better. PS. I certainly admit the other teams in the NFC East got better, but I trust the Commanders as far as I can throw them. Our defense right now is equal if not better then theirs is right now. The Dline is pretty average. Their linebackers are average and their secondary is average. Their O line is god awful compared to ours. Our biggest problem next year will be the tough schedule. We may have a better team then last year and have a worse record. That's what happens when your schedule turns from easy into a beast.

tm1119

Reaction score
While New England reloaded for another Super Bowl, I can't help but feel like this offseason has gone off the rails for us. I am trying to be optimistic, and I love our core, but I fear that the tumult of this offseason will result in a pretty big step back on the field this year. And it will take another year for us to reach our Super Bowl potential. In a nutshell:

1. Jerry misplays the Romo situation and we get nothing for a franchise QB who still can play. He's not playing now for a reason. No one was going to give us anything significant for him and his contract.
2. We make no free agent signings of note and lose 3/4 of our starting DBs (which I was OK with) and 2/5 of our starting OL. The DB's stunk and Free was no big loss and easily replaceable. Leary was the only real free agent loss, but you can't blame the FO for not giving out 3rd best interior lineman that kind of $
3. We miss out on all of the speed pass rushers in the first round of the draft (and allow Atlanta to leapfrog us for the last one) and draft yet another LDE. We didn't allow anything, it was an event out of our control that happened. Frankly, Atlanta did us a favor because Takk was completely overrated and not even a speed rusher according to his borderline horrible workout #'s. And there's more than 1 way to get to the QB. Not every DE needs to be a speed rusher. This board said the same crap about Bosa not being fast or quick twitchy enough. Taco can still be an impact player, you haven't even seen him play yet.
4. Our most promising pass rusher and disruptor, David Irving, gets suspended 4 games, continuing a pattern set by D Law and Gregory. Bone headed on his part no doubt, but 4 games isn't the end of the world.
5. Our starting SLB, and best coverage LB, Damien Wilson, assaults a woman with his car and pulls a rifle on her friends. No doubt, he'll be suspended for a long time. Not our best coverage LB. Not even close. Wasn't even going to play in the nickel if Jaylon is healthy like he is supposed to be.
6. Our franchise RB may be suspended, according to John Clayton. I'll believe this when I see it. Still waiting for that Dez tape...
7. Even our choir boy QB and leader is accused of fraud, for selling memorabilia he did not sign by hand. Who cares

On top of this, we have a very difficult first place schedule. I am excited for our future. But, in all honesty, I expect to be diaappointed this season.

So yeah, overall you're being completely ridiculous. Any reasonable Cowboys fan should be happy with this off season. We are set up with a good young core along with a boatload of cap space to come soon. What more could you ask for?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
This offseason is neither great nor terrible, kinda indifferent to it.

Everything depends on the drafts picks, if they suck then it sucked. We don't know anything about that right now, but it does have to be said other teams had draft picks too. Not like we have magical powers just cause of last years draft.....we still drafted Mo, DLaw, Gregory, and such.

The Pats won the SB, then went out and improved.....I just think if we were in that same boat, we would be sitting on our hands, drinking whiskey, and giving money away patting ourselves on the back.

Reaction score
So yeah, overall you're being completely ridiculous. Any reasonable Cowboys fan should be happy with this off season. We are set up with a good young core along with a boatload of cap space to come soon. What more could you ask for?

I don't disagree about the future, and said as much... but that does not change the fact that the offseason was a big opportunity lost and suspensions are slowly eroding this roster.