Offseason Running Smoothly and Effectively. Team Shaping Up

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t need to read your drivel again. It’s stupid. Better at WR? Better at OL? Because our seriously ill C is making a comeback? Because Copper has a full offseason of Dak throwing him ducks? Your post is a joke.

In fairness, we are better at WR heading into 2019 compared to heading into the 2018 season. Having Cooper is a big reason why.

Verdict

Reaction score
But they forced the pick on Taco when they didn't have to. They allowed need and the overall draft to dictate that pick instead of picking the best player they had.

Heading into this offseason, if they wanted to upgrade S, to just assume that they'll get their upgrade in the draft is a total risk, especially when there are some cheap options out there that upgrade the position in FA and don't carry long term cap implications. It's how you end up with Taco Charlton. They needed a DE, didn't try to address it in FA and then had to take one in the first round.

That's what happens when you draft for need. More often than not it ends up being a marginal pick. That's how really good players slide.

Falco78

Reaction score
Because people assumed all year he was close to a return. We have a weakness at DT and everyone just said “wait until we get Irving back”. Well he’s never coming back and our DTs are still below average.

It’s really sad that last seasons performance encouraged people. Because this team isn’t very good. It needs serious roster changes.

I guess the FO refuses to do so because they realize this is Garrett’s team and it’s do or die. They want the cap room for a new coach in 2020.
The bad part is I believe our FO has true faith in JG...

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
In fairness, we are better at WR heading into 2019 compared to heading into the 2018 season. Having Cooper is a big reason why.

My God, full offseasons bring our fans hope now. Rather than actual roster improvements You sheep are so brainwashed by Jerry.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Because people assumed all year he was close to a return. We have a weakness at DT and everyone just said “wait until we get Irving back”. Well he’s never coming back and our DTs are still below average.

It’s really sad that last seasons performance encouraged people. Because this team isn’t very good. It needs serious roster changes.

I guess the FO refuses to do so because they realize this is Garrett’s team and it’s do or die. They want the cap room for a new coach in 2020.
Irving played 2 games last year. We signed a DT yesterday.

Sydla

Reaction score
My God, full offseasons bring our fans hope now. Rather than actual roster improvements You sheep are so brainwashed by Jerry.

Do you actually read what people are saying or are you just so angry you are pounding away at the keyboard spewing ridiculousness?

Calling me a "sheep" is hilarious. I think there are a lot of posters here that would be laughing their ***** off at the notion that I am one of Jerry's mindless sheep.

Verdict

Reaction score
Try reading again....I said certain positions are better right now than when last season began....wr, TE, ol.
DL and safety are our draft needs and deep in this draft, where we will address that. Rifpdiculous to say we lost our best DT?! When was the last time that bum even played football? We lost nothing from last year.

Right now we are worse off at tight end than last year. We lost Swaim and Witten is not an upgrade over a traffic cone. I'm not sure why anyone would say we are better at tight end now than last year unless they don't realize Witten can't play anymore. He has been done for years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
People like to act like this team is barely average when in fact this team will be in the playoffs again.

You're probably ( it appears the division is weaker) but we were 21st in scoring last season. As you well know, our biggest issue was the red zone. Our D keeping opponent scoring to a min was a major reason we made the playoff. I'm not sure we've done enough so far to fix the red zone issue although bringing Witten back will help. But I do know 21st or lower in scoring probably won't get us in the 2nd time. It's still early so we'll see......

Verdict

Reaction score
Iloka, Boston, Phillips are all better SS than Heath, for starters. All three would likely be cheap, one year type deals that allow you the flexibility to still take a S if one presents itself to you in the draft and you aren't handcuffed to the veteran beyond this year.

We added Covington, but I would totally look at Suh if he's willing to do another 1 year deal. Suh would immediately be our best interior player.

We have a problem at DE as well with Gregory being a likely suspension again and who knows what is going on with Lawrence. There are some guys out there that are better than what we currently have. You confident counting on Taco and Armstrong to pick up the slack?

When people see me ranting about FA, I guess they assume I am pounding the table for guys like Collins at $84MM or whatever he got. That's never been my point or my desire. My focus has always been on these mid-level FAs who often come on cheaper deals and present solid, short term upgrades that don't hurt the cap down the road.

We gloss right over those guys too and head right for the bargain bin looking for retreads, backups and hoping to find the guy who just blossoms with more PT in Dallas.

I am not against upgrading the safety position, or any position for that matter. I don't think Heath is all pro or anything but the idea that Xavier is better than Heath is a bit of a stretch to me. I know it's just my opinion, but improve over Xavier before messing with Heath. He's probably the best ball hawk in the secondary.

DRella

Reaction score
Although I agree with all points made I still think the Cowboys need to plug holes in next wave of free agency to not back themselves in a corner come draft time to have to draft a specific position. I would like them to be in a position to draft best player available regardless of position.

The Covington pickup is an underrated one that will help solidify the rotation at DT. Between himself, Collins, Woods and Crawford they have 4 potential players that can now rotate. Is Covington better then Irving. Probably not. But we didn't have Irving practically all season last year and we held our own. So making DT a priority at draft isn't a must any longer.

The Austin signing along with keeping Hurns and still having Wilson really doesn't put a huge emphasis on finding a new slot receiver to replace Beasley. Poor play calling and execution cause the forementioned players to not have the stats last season. Even Beasley was mis-used and under used last season. With these type of slot type receivers and proper play calling, slot receiver as well isn't a priority. Keep in mind with Witten coming back a lot of short 5-10 yard gains in the middle of the field will be his for the taking along with other TE's as well.

With Witten coming back, the need for a TE this draft is not a must. Yes he's older and I get it. But I still believe that he adds value in the blocking game and not too many LB's can keep up with him. Even at his age he is better then 90 percent of the TE's in the NFL. He along with the young TE's on roster in Jarwin and Schultz, we have the depth we need there and that is without mentioning Rico Gathers who still remains a dark horse, and the signing of another project in McElroy.

So where do we still have needs? We have upgrades to make at S, RB and DE.

Heath for all intensive purposes was the weak link of a very strong defense. Finding a replacement starter should be difficult and who ever we bring in will be an upgrade and add depth to the team. This will make team better instantly.

At DE, with Gregory in limbo. We have a hole to fill there. There are still some rotational DE's available that would be an upgrade to this defense. Signing one would be in the Cowboys best interest to protect them in case Gregory is once again suspended, and not put the emphasis to reach for a DE in draft like we did for Taco. Taco may still become something we don't know. But we want a sure thing with no 1st rounder this season not a project or risk.

At RB, we need an upgrade on Smith. Nice player don't get me wrong. But I would like to see them pickup someone that is a change of pace back to Zeke with great hands. There are still some intriguing options in FA in Crowell, Yeldon and Anderson. Sign someone to plug that hole. If you still want to bring Smith back as the 3rd back and special teamer do so on the cheap. He can fill that role. But to waste a pick on a back when you have Zeke long term, I think would be a waste.

So in short, fill the 3 holes in free agency. Open up your draft board for best player available. At this time of FA we should be able to find some bargains on short term deals (1-2 years).

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Iloka, Boston, Phillips are all better SS than Heath, for starters. All three would likely be cheap, one year type deals that allow you the flexibility to still take a S if one presents itself to you in the draft and you aren't handcuffed to the veteran beyond this year.
I like George IIoka if I had to pick. Phillips isn't very good IMO and I think Boston is better, but I like lloka. I'm on board with a one year in that respect and also drafting a guy if one falls to us. From what I've seen it's relativity deep.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Despite all the clamoring for a huge payout to an aging safety, wr, or DL, look at where we are.

The offense is now set to be better than what it was going into last season.
  • O-Line...Williams stronger and experienced in 2nd year; Fleming in second year in system; Frederick returns, improving center and backup across interior; offseason and full season with the right coach...Columbo.
  • WR...Cooper gets a full camp in system and with Dak while coaches plan around him; Austin second year in system; Gallup with a year’s experience and strength; Wilson returns in 2nd year.
  • TE...young guys have a year of experience and Schultz has first full offseason of work. Witten is old, but he still knows how to get open, is reliable, cannot be covered by a LB, and will probably lean more to coaching the youngsters than ever before.
  • RB...we have the stud and I’ll be shocked if we don’t add one in next wave of free agency, the draft, or a veteran cut after draft
We will still go best player available most of the time, but the emphasis will be on defense in the draft.
  • DE...D-Law, Taco, maybe Gregory...Armstrong will be stronger and more confident in second year. Crawford can start or rotate at RDE.
  • DT....Woods, Collins, Crawford, Ross.
  • LB...Smith continues to improve in every way. LVE will be stronger and better in 2nd year. Lee will be rationed and used in impactful situations...best 3rd guy in years. We know Thomas can play, and Covington/March-Lillard gets chance to earn a spot.
  • CB....Jones in second year at position in system...look for more confidence and picks. Awuzie continues to grow and improve. Brown and Lewis both very good in slot.
  • S....Heath is Heath...not our best, but he won’t be worse than he was. Woods in second year as a starter and in Richards secondary will be better.
We may still look at free agency, but I think moreso at RB or camp bodies or competition.
Draft will focus on the two deepest positions, safety and DL.

I’m excited about the draft.
Round 2– DT/S
Round 3–S/DT
Round 4–RB/DL
Round 5–WR/DB
Rest—Round out the roster...OL, LB, Special Teams
Nice post. You did your homework! :p

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not against upgrading the safety position, or any position for that matter. I don't think Heath is all pro or anything but the idea that Xavier is better than Heath is a bit of a stretch to me. I know it's just my opinion, but improve over Xavier before messing with Heath. He's probably the best ball hawk in the secondary.

Heath is most definitely not the best ball hawk in the secondary. He's often shown to take poor angles on plays, etc. Last year, Woods missed 9 tackles. Heath missed 21 (or 19 depending on who you use for data), which was one of the worst numbers for starting Ss. Woods can also come down and play against the slot guy or take a TE better than Heath can. Heath had 1 interception with 5 passes defended, had 9 passes defended with 2 interceptions.

Woods is not Earl Thomas back there for sure but the worst starting safety is not Woods, it's Heath and it's not really close IMO.

ESisback

Reaction score
At this point, all we can do is hope. But I have my doubts.

This is the franchise that realized they needed a #1 WR, made an offer to Watkins, didn't get him, didn't have a back up plan and tried to convince themselves and us fans that a WR by committee led by Hurns and Beasley would be just fine...................

I think it was mostly to convince fans, who do, especially in the last few years, tend to violently overreact. Individuals are smart, the masses are stupid, so if the perception of the masses is an impending dumpster fire, BAM! The bottom line declines.

Sydla

Reaction score
I like George IIoka if I had to pick. Phillips isn't very good IMO and I think Boston is better, but I like lloka. I'm on board with a one year in that respect and also drafting a guy if one falls to us. From what I've seen it's relativity deep.

And that's really all I have been saying this team is missing on. Sure, I would have liked Thomas and was willing to pay him a bit but not at that number. And sure, Golden Tate would have been great under the right contract.

But more importantly, every year there are guys that are still very productive, would help this team and don't cost a ton and we gloss right over them so we can run to the bargain bin and see if Nolan Carroll is still there. It's maddening and why I think this team will always come up just a bit short come the playoffs. They just will never, ever field the best roster they can because they refuse to use all the tools at their disposal to build the best roster they can.

Verdict

Reaction score
Although I agree with all points made I still think the Cowboys need to plug holes in next wave of free agency to not back themselves in a corner come draft time to have to draft a specific position. I would like them to be in a position to draft best player available regardless of position.

The Covington pickup is an underrated one that will help solidify the rotation at DT. Between himself, Collins, Woods and Crawford they have 4 potential players that can now rotate. Is Covington better then Irving. Probably not. But we didn't have Irving practically all season last year and we held our own. So making DT a priority at draft isn't a must any longer.

The Austin signing along with keeping Hurns and still having Wilson really doesn't put a huge emphasis on finding a new slot receiver to replace Beasley. Poor play calling and execution cause the forementioned players to not have the stats last season. Even Beasley was mis-used and under used last season. With these type of slot type receivers and proper play calling, slot receiver as well isn't a priority. Keep in mind with Witten coming back a lot of short 5-10 yard gains in the middle of the field will be his for the taking along with other TE's as well.

With Witten coming back, the need for a TE this draft is not a must. Yes he's older and I get it. But I still believe that he adds value in the blocking game and not too many LB's can keep up with him. Even at his age he is better then 90 percent of the TE's in the NFL. He along with the young TE's on roster in Jarwin and Schultz, we have the depth we need there and that is without mentioning Rico Gathers who still remains a dark horse, and the signing of another project in McElroy.

So where do we still have needs? We have upgrades to make at S, RB and DE.

Heath for all intensive purposes was the weak link of a very strong defense. Finding a replacement starter should be difficult and who ever we bring in will be an upgrade and add depth to the team. This will make team better instantly.

At DE, with Gregory in limbo. We have a hole to fill there. There are still some rotational DE's available that would be an upgrade to this defense. Signing one would be in the Cowboys best interest to protect them in case Gregory is once again suspended, and not put the emphasis to reach for a DE in draft like we did for Taco. Taco may still become something we don't know. But we want a sure thing with no 1st rounder this season not a project or risk.

At RB, we need an upgrade on Smith. Nice player don't get me wrong. But I would like to see them pickup someone that is a change of pace back to Zeke with great hands. There are still some intriguing options in FA in Crowell, Yeldon and Anderson. Sign someone to plug that hole. If you still want to bring Smith back as the 3rd back and special teamer do so on the cheap. He can fill that role. But to waste a pick on a back when you have Zeke long term, I think would be a waste.

So in short, fill the 3 holes in free agency. Open up your draft board for best player available. At this time of FA we should be able to find some bargains on short term deals (1-2 years).

I like your post except for one thing: Witten is a horrible blocker. He may have some value on short yardage as a receiver but that's it. He hasn't even really made an effort to block. Just because it has been said repeatedly that Witten is a good blocker doesn't make it true. Watch him in games and then draw your own conclusions. The guy is horrible at blocking. Maybe even lazy.