One Draft Pick changes everything next year

Techsass

Reaction score
OP already has next years hype train rolling and it’s not even November, this very well be a new record.

He’s planting the hype seed and is cracking the 2021 Kool Aid taps. He must be delusional or on Jerrah’s payroll.
Or really in tune with future possibilities.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Complaining about Dallas drafts a few months after they took CD Lamb at 17 is a really good time to look like an idiot.

Yah, because adding a WR, where we had depth, instead of a defensive stud is really paying off. You kind of look like Jerry. He has delusions too about how things will be so much better next year...lol. Sleep tight JoJo.

aria

Reaction score
Or really in tune with future possibilities.
Here’s a future possibility, we’ll still be saddled with a lot of the same over rated, overpaid players next year that we have this year. We’ll either pay/franchise and have little money to do much in FA or not pay Dak and roll the dice with another QB. We have too many holes in the defense to fill through the draft, and even if we do, a bunch of rookies aren’t going to come in here and light it up their rookie year. We’ll also have some serious questions marks on the O line as far as talent and/or health.

Just a possibility, a thought if you will.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yah, because adding a WR, where we had depth, instead of a defensive stud is really paying off. You kind of look like Jerry. He has delusions too about how things will be so much better next year...lol. Sleep tight JoJo.

Unlike you, I won't be sleeping under a bridge.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Shirley, Larry and Robert was picked near the end of round 1.....28th or 27th.
So how is that comparable to Jamal Adams and Miss Claiborne being picked 6th?

Was their Wonderlic lower than 4????????

Hey, you might want to google this but the NFL has a draft every year and Dallas will have a high pick in the next one. Hope that helps.

Techsass

Reaction score
Here’s a future possibility, we’ll still be saddled with a lot of the same over rated, overpaid players next year that we have this year. We’ll either pay/franchise and have little money to do much in FA or not pay Dak and roll the dice with another QB. We have too many holes in the defense to fill through the draft, and even if we do, a bunch of rookies aren’t going to come in here and light it up their rookie year. We’ll also have some serious questions marks on the O line as far as talent and/or health.

Just a possibility, a thought if you will.
It's going to take a lot more than a miracle to fix this D and it aint happening in just 1 offseason. If they can become decent next season, we'll all be on a mega high that will carry us thru the regular season.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You usually snap at me like my teenage girls but I will say this is an interesting post. Smith as a viable starter next years is folly. Going with the same terrible front 7 is also folly. Even Jerry isn’t senile enough to not see the issue at LB. The first 3 picks next year must be LB, S and T.

The LBs are run and hit guys, the scheme is designed for them to go to the ball with the front four controlling the line of scrimmage. And it isn't the same front 7 next year, Poe and Griffen are already gone. The RDE will be an Aldon Smith in better shape, Gregory or their replacement. Hill and Gallimore will be better than this year with more experience. And the entire DL will be better when they actually understand the scheme instead of blowing assignments because they are lost.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The defense doesn’t need to be elite. It just needs to be middle of the pack and force a solid number of turnovers.

Exactly, and it easily can be with a full offseason to learn the scheme, several high draft picks, several depth signings in FA and more experience for the young players.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Unlike you, I won't be sleeping under a bridge.

I’ve got 25 years of fact and history to prove my point. And you ? You’ve got your little whiney homer hopes. Need a hug, JoJo ?

garyo1954

Reaction score
Hey, you might want to google this but the NFL has a draft every year and Dallas will have a high pick in the next one. Hope that helps.

You don't say? And how does that explain the relation between Bethea, Shaw, and all the picks you listed?
I'm supposing........just supposing mind you......that you don't know either.

Its okay.......no, really........it's okay. I'm not going to pop your big yellow balloon.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Exactly, and it easily can be with a full offseason to learn the scheme, several high draft picks, several depth signings in FA and more experience for the young players.

I agree.

I’m not really ever into the “tear it down and total rebuild”. Not in the NFL.

it makes sense in the NBA where so few draft picks beyond the top handful, ever pan out.

In the NFL. A good draft or two can really turn a team around quickly.

that being said. The cowboys FO needs to do a better job drafting defenders in the first few rounds. They’ve had some hits. But they’ve also had some misses that are really hurting us right now. Injury wise especially.

that doesn’t mean it can’t be done though.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The LBs are run and hit guys, the scheme is designed for them to go to the ball with the front four controlling the line of scrimmage. And it isn't the same front 7 next year, Poe and Griffen are already gone. The RDE will be an Aldon Smith in better shape, Gregory or their replacement. Hill and Gallimore will be better than this year with more experience. And the entire DL will be better when they actually understand the scheme instead of blowing assignments because they are lost.

Hill? Seriously? In 2 seasons has he done anything to suggest he is a starting quality DT?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So tomorrow night when you are on your 7th beer watching the Dallas OL give up its 14th sack, fear not. For next year the team will be more talented than this year but with an offseason to learn the defense.

Next year the offense gets back three Pro Bowl level players, plus Jarwin, plus Martin is back this week. The best group of WRs in the NFL returns (Lamb will be even better) and the other two OL Williams and Biadasz will each be 24 years old but solid starters by that point. The major concern is obviously the OTs returning but nothing about Collins seems to show a long term problem and plenty of elite OTs have missed seasons like Tyron Smith – with Jason Peters (currently starting at age 38) a good example.

On defense the young DL will develop (Gallimore, Hill, Gregory, Anae), Aldon Smith likely returns and the DL will finally develop some continuity in the new scheme. Diggs will be playing at a #1 CB level next year after taking his lumps this year (while showing above average athletic skills).

The rest of the secondary will be rebuilt but one draft pick can completely change the landscape. Dallas looks to have a draft pick around the 5th to 10th spot, look at the players taken there in the last four years:

Pick 9 CJ Henderson, #6 Jamal Adams, #11 Marshon Lattimore, #5 Jalen Ramsey and #11 Minkah Fitzpatrick.

There are a ton of older veteran Safeties who could be signed to fill a spot in the secondary for a cap hit of 4 – 7 Million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/

The second round pick gets you a player who can join the secondary rotation at a minimum and probably start (Diggs, Awuzie, etc).

Another free agent (like Cam Fleming) and the third round pick gets you solid depth at OT. Recent 3rd round picks at OT range from decent backups to above average starters:

Pick 74 Geron Christian, #83 Orlando Brown, # Shon Coleman.

But most of the year to year improvement comes from both lines developing cohesion in a new system and the young players developing with more reps (like Schultz and Hill did this year).

Trolls, rev your engines.

But don’t say we will blow the draft picks after we got Lamb and Diggs this year with much later picks.

And don’t say we don’t have the cap space, even at a 175 Million cap and franchise tagging Prescott we still have 15 Million left over before any restructuring moves (Aldon Smith and conceivably Sean Lee are the only players in UFA we would want to resign).
I appreciate the good vibes.

I just cannot imagine what you are suggesting.

The defense is being created by a fossil of a DC. You are going to have a new guy hired off of one of the successful playoff teams and get him before the next draft.

You are then have to have some sort of practices that will allow physical contact with protection from transmitting viruses. There is no answers there yet. We are hearing maybe 2nd or 3rd Qt of 2021.

That means little to no mini camps and more remote coaching like in 2020.

So given those needed changes not to mention drafting correctly not to mention knowing if Dak can play and if he will step right in where he left off..

not to mention if Dak is ready will we sign him for $45 mil/yr and give him all the remaining cap space needed to rebuild?

Do you think this ownership and this coach and his totally unproven staff has the ability to juggle all of this and more and succeed?

It's great to dream. We have been doing it for decades. We dreamed for 10 years + with Romo. Before Romo we had several QBs like Quincy and Bledsoe whom we wanted to bring us back to our Glory Days.

Now we have done it again with Dak for 5 more years.

And now you say we just need a high draft pick and some 2nd and 3rd yr players to raise their games several magnitudes becuz they just should?

Nope.

Not being pessimistic but I agree with those that say as long as Jerrah is GM and Stephen as his minion..

there ain't no chance at this team to fix things.

They have to go.

Wake me up when that happens.

Never going to happen you say?

Then you need to listen to our critics and contemplate what they are saying.

For over 25 years the media has overlooked us as real contending power. We would not listen as fans and every year we would pack up our doubts and say this year things will be different.

They never got better.

And now the whole mess has imploded.

I hope you are right and I and some others are totally wrong about this.

We will see.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You don't say? And how does that explain the relation between Bethea, Shaw, and all the picks you listed?
I'm supposing........just supposing mind you......that you don't know either.

Its okay.......no, really........it's okay. I'm not going to pop your big yellow balloon.

No, you are going to watch a simple point sail miles over your head. Its beyond stupid to say Dallas can't draft well in the first round because of Mo Claiborne eight years ago - especially when their first round picks since then have been home runs.

Pulling examples out of your behind from 8 years ago might as well be 50 because there is a different group in Dallas doing the drafting.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Hill? Seriously? In 2 seasons has he done anything to suggest he is a starting quality DT?

Yeah, he could never be a starter except for the fact he was the starter this year before getting hurt.

garyo1954

Reaction score
No, you are going to watch a simple point sail miles over your head. Its beyond stupid to say Dallas can't draft well in the first round because of Mo Claiborne eight years ago - especially when their first round picks since then have been home runs.

Pulling examples out of your behind from 8 years ago might as well be 50 because there is a different group in Dallas doing the drafting.

YOU PULLED BETHEA AND SHAW OUT OF YOUR BUTT. I NEVER MENTIONED THEM!

I mentioned Claiborne because......

He was drafted in the 6th slot overall same as Jamal Adams which you named!

Keep dancing little man........that smiley face on your balloon gon be dragging like a pancake tied to a string on the sidewalk behind you!

Kaiser

Reaction score
that being said. The cowboys FO needs to do a better job drafting defenders in the first few rounds. They’ve had some hits. But they’ve also had some misses that are really hurting us right now. Injury wise especially.

Sure, but two points on that. 1 - you can't predict injuries and 2 - drafting a CB means your pick is less likely to get hurt.

Its hilarious that I start a thread saying we could get the next Jalen Ramsey and the trolls freak out at how bad the news is.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Keep dancing little man........that smiley face on your balloon gon be dragging like a pancake tied to a string on the sidewalk behind you!

Profoundly stupid post. I "gon be" putting you on Ignore because there are zero reasons to read more idiots here than I have to.

MaineBoy

Reaction score

So using a top five first round pick to draft a running back is a home run ? JoJo, where do you come up with this stuff ? The only thing here beyond stupid is you and Jerry thinking drafting a running back that high was a home run...lol. JoJo, you need some warm milk and to calm down. You remind us of Jerry on the radio when his delusions are challenged too. Home run ?. Lol...