One of the biggest problems for Jerry is Fan Apathy

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It seems like a big problem for Jerry is the ever increasing fan apathy.
It is palpable on this forum, which is populated with once Die-hard fans such as myself.
Now there is a great sense of Whatever among the posters.
I think getting older may have something to do with it just realizing that it's just a football game and not worth over-prioritizing it above other parts of life.
A big part is just seeing the futility and or mediocrity we've been mired in for almost a quarter century.
It wears you down over time and causes you to get to a point where you're not as invested anymore.
I kind of fit that bill myself this season. After last season, something finally changed, and I just don't really care like I used to. I guess the combination of the last 22 years of failure, and the dim prospects of the future can have that effect.

It's not all bad, though. Now I can watch the games without the stress and anxiety. If we win, great. If not, oh well. Until serious changes are made with this team, and they start having real success, I'm done worrying about wins and losses.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has the most valuable sports team in the NFL and in the World.

This is with a team that has not sniffed the Superbowl since the 90s.

I Do believe he cares about winning, however I don't think he cares enough to remove his ego from the process. And when he continues to own one of if not the most valuable sports franchises in the world, I doubt he will step aside or change enough to give up control.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's far better off than the Rooneys. The Rooneys passed up on $400 million in PSL fees to keep the cost of PSLs low enough for the existing Three Rivers Stadium fans. They aren't the best at monetizing the Steelers' popularity. That's why they likely have little appreciation for Jerry and all he's done for other NFL owners' fortunes.
There are some in the NFL that regard him as a classless snake oil salesman, preening and posturing for the cameras, a self promoting prima donna. Hell, you put Art in front of a camera, he wouldn't take that cigar out of his mouth.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
They tell the little people that having money comes with its own set of problems. What they don't tell you is that even those problems can usually be solved with money.

Jerry is far beyond having anything remotely close to what you'd consider a "problem" coming from NFL fans.
Exactly.....going other teams message boards and reading post from their fans, they want Jerry to live forever....they know as long as Jerry is involved the Cowboys will continue to be deeply entrenched in mediocrity.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Whatever fan apathy that’s present, I have no doubt in my mind that it is only synonymous with the fans that had the pleasure of rooting for the cowboys pre1996. For ones like me that came aboard during the Chan Gailey years,there’s no apathy. Y’all are spoiled because y’all saw Superbowl teams. Romo is the best cowboys QB I’ve witnessed. For the ones with apathy, he’s not even in your top3.

Not necessarily.

Staubach and Aikman were great as was Don Meredith. They all ran prolific offenses but they also had great defenses. Meredith's teams had Bob Lilly and Mel Renfro, George Andre and Jethro Pugh, Herb Adderly, etc, all great players. Then there was Doomsday I & I I and a plethora of more great players with a lot of household names

The best player Romo had was Demarcus Ware Defensive backs were always suspect as were the linebackers until Sean Lee came along. You've had the opportunity to see a great player in any era, but much like Marino and Fouts, Moon and Kelly, you never saw a Super Bowl. It's a shame, it's the ultimate team sport and there's a lot of factors involved including some plain ole good luck,

I can't lie - there has been just one constant the last 25 years and it might be awhile before you see another one. As someone who's old enough and fortunate enough to have seen them all, you're being robbed of some of the most memorable moments of your life.

Hang in there.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say apathetic. I’m less emotionally invested than I used to be, but I chalk it up to age.

It's not your age. It's that you recognize a sham when you see one. PT Barnum ain't changing his ways.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I kind of fit that bill myself this season. After last season, something finally changed, and I just don't really like I used to. I guess the combination of the last 22 years of failure, and the dim prospects of the future can have that effect.

It's not all bad, though. Now I can watch the games without the stress and anxiety. If we win, great. If not, oh well. Until serious changes are made with this team, and they start having real success, I'm done worrying about wins and losses.
SD, it is liberating not to care so much about that anymore. Part of mine is age and changes in lifestyle as to what is really important but I look back at all of the time wasted being pissed about a football game and team and what a waste that was.

Think about it. You watch the game, like this one last Sunday and have to see poor play and an eventual loss and then add being pissed off after the game for however long that takes and this is fun? Screw that, life is too short to sweat something we have no control over except how we process that.

They miss the playoffs, they win the SB, that will not affect my life at all. Have a little more interest in January but that's it. No team is going to keep me from maxing out my happy vibe.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
SD, it is liberating not to care so much about that anymore. Part of mine is age and changes in lifestyle as to what is really important but I look back at all of the time wasted being pissed about a football game and team and what a waste that was.

Think about it. You watch the game, like this one last Sunday and have to see poor play and an eventual loss and then add being pissed off after the game for however long that takes and this is fun? Screw that, life is too short to sweat something we have no control over except how we process that.

They miss the playoffs, they win the SB, that will not affect my life at all. Have a little more interest in January but that's it. No team is going to keep me from maxing out my happy vibe.
I could not agree more, man.

It's just a game. I'm done letting it effect me negatively.

Hardline

Reaction score
Cowboys merch is flying off the shelves and the stadium is selling out.
Jerry is sleeping well at night.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
He's still making trainloads of money.

He doesn't care.

I think it's a false narrative to think Jerry is happy just making money and not winning. I truly don't believe that is the case. I believe the problem is that Jerry wants to win but wants his decision making as owner and GM to be credited for the primary reason the team wins. THAT JJ trait is what has kept Garrett around for 10 years and prompted poor decisions that got us into cap Hell all those years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I"m apathetic, it's because I hate where the league is going. I don't really have issues with the Cowboys right now except I'd like them to be slightly more aggressive with FA acquisition for players at positions of need.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Whatever fan apathy that’s present, I have no doubt in my mind that it is only synonymous with the fans that had the pleasure of rooting for the cowboys pre1996. For ones like me that came aboard during the Chan Gailey years,there’s no apathy. Y’all are spoiled because y’all saw Superbowl teams. Romo is the best cowboys QB I’ve witnessed. For the ones with apathy, he’s not even in your top3.

I've got apathy and he's in my top 3. I started watching in 77.

erod

Reaction score
Cowboys merch is flying off the shelves and the stadium is selling out.
Jerry is sleeping well at night.

I can speak for my section. We all sold our seats for Sunday night.

Cha-ching! I can do it, too, Jerry.

Reaction score
I think it's a false narrative to think Jerry is happy just making money and not winning. I truly don't believe that is the case. I believe the problem is that Jerry wants to win but wants his decision making as owner and GM to be credited for the primary reason the team wins. THAT JJ trait is what has kept Garrett around for 10 years and prompted poor decisions that got us into cap Hell all those years.
If Jerry really wanted to win...and I mean REALLY wanted to win...he should have realized his way wasn't working and stepped aside a decade ago as GM of his team and hired a real GM.

He wants the cameras in front of him. He wants the glory. He wants the publicity. He wants to be center stage. He wants to make tons of money.

He wants all of this in front of winning. And the proof I have is that any legitimate GM would have been fired 10, maybe 15 years ago with the same results we have seen from this team.

Cowboy89

Reaction score
They average 90k plus per game. They are the world's most valuable franchise. I'm not sensing apathy.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, it's less about apathy and more about there's nothing exciting about this team. Every team has players who have large fan bases, but who do the Cowboys have?

Dak? He was great his rookie season, but since then his accuracy has declined and his willingness to play vertically has all but disappeared.

Elliott? He hasn't looked special since his rookie season. Is that all his fault? Maybe not, but bottom line is he has been good, not great and he's one more "incident" from a year long or more suspension.

Who else is there on offense to get excited about? Beasley? Williams? Random no-name tight-ends? Definitely not. Offensive lineman? Who gets excited about them? Appreciate them, sure, but excited?

About the only offensive player to generate any excitement among some fans have been Rico, whom the coaches don't appear to either like or trust at this point, but he was not even on the active roster.

On defense who is there to get excited about? Lawrence? Maybe, if he has a great season and stays here after this season. Jaylon? Still in the has-potential bucket for now. Lee? How many games will he miss this year? .. and that's if he plays better than he did last week .. Gregory? Irving? week-to-week for rest of their careers most likely.

Garrett? Linehan? Marinelli? there's so little excitement about them that fans have been forced to get excited about the two new position coaches we hired.

Jerry? Even his excitement seems to be on vacation.

Honestly, this team just feels blah .. which would be fine .. if they were a team of blah players because we as fans could get behind blah players who play hard .. instead, they act like they are stars, yet play like they are JAGs.

For me, there's nothing special about this team. No identity. No team feeling. They are simply football players who get a lot of attention for being on the Dallas Cowboys.