Only 3 teams in the NFL w/out wins vs a team above .500, bears, NYG, Dallas Cowboys

Mark

Reaction score
The tiresome, disingenuous, and ultimately-pointless "Stephen A." narrative.

Anyone who thinks the DAL team we've seen as of late even remotely resembles the one which stunk it up at ARI & SF - six & eight weeks ago, respectively - simply hasn't been paying attention.

It's actually quite impressive and refreshing how this team & its coaching staff have obviously identified and made great strides in addressing troublesome issues which contributed mightily to those losses.

There has been some luck involved in the team's current success as well - both the unanticipated high level of play of D. Bland and M. Bell, and the improving health and reps of the O-line have been huge.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to argue the OPs point although not the timing of the post. I would feel much better if we had beaten either the 49ers or Philthy but I am not going to let that instantly take away from any of our wins and especially not one where we played as well as we did yesterday.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
True but we’ve only gotten 2 opportunities. And when we beat Seattle next week, they technically won’t have a winning record either.

The narrative around beating teams over .500 is overblown.

It’s not like we’re continuing a year over year trend. It’s just a small sample size
It literally is year over year. Nothing new about this year until it is something new. Deep post season run. I’m enjoying the ride and think maybe just maybe things could click but still waiting to see what happens come January.

Nav22

Reaction score
If we beat Seattle, Seattle falls to 6-6.

"See!? Cowboys just beat up on scrubs and STILL can't beat a team with a winning record!!"

If we lose to Seattle, Seattle improves to 7-5.

"See!? Cowboys are TRASH vs winning teams!!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The tiresome, disingenuous, and ultimately-pointless "Stephen A." narrative.

Anyone who thinks the DAL team we've seen as of late even remotely resembles the one which stunk it up at ARI & SF - six & eight weeks ago, respectively - simply hasn't been paying attention.

It's actually quite impressive and refreshing how this team & its coaching staff have obviously identified and made great strides in addressing troublesome issues which contributed mightily to those losses.

There has been some luck involved in the team's current success as well - both the unanticipated high level of play of D. Bland and M. Bell, and the improving health and reps of the O-line have been huge.
Yup. Basically unless dallas wins the sb were an accident waiting to happen. Lol Stephen A is ridiculous. He'd be trolling us if we lost the super bowl.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So making it to the Super Bowl in your opinion relies more on luck and not what you learned about your team in the regular season and not riding positive momentum heading into the tournament
no I'm saying you need a little of each you need talent you need some luck you need the referees not to be anti one team or the other yeah it matters in the lock when you talk about not getting injured versus losing some talented players that don't come back for the playoffs yeah.. That's what I'm saying this is the new NFL this is not the old NFL I see teams who don't have momentum and they play just fine going into the playoffs every game is different it's a one off you play one game at a time there isn't five games in one day where you ride momentum from one game to the next this isn't a tournament this is literally one game just like we saw we didn't finish the season well against Washington but we blew the doors off Tampa Bay but then the next week we didn't show up and play well against the better team some of the bad luck was losing Tony Pollard we didn't have Terrence steel there was a play here or there like diggs not catching a shore interception not breaking up a play by an inch yeah that kind of luck I'm not talking about sheer luck like being superstitious I'm talking about all those other things that go into it...

Sydla

Reaction score
I hear it here a million times, it doesn't matter until the playoffs. So what will a couple of wins against .500 teams do?
Show that they have a chance in the playoffs.

If they make the playoffs having lost to most of the best teams they've played, one would be kind of foolish putting any faith in them come January.

The #1 seed is likely lost but this team has to win some games over the next five against Philly, Seattle, Miami, Buffalo and Detroit.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How is Miami not on this list I don't think they've beaten anybody at the time that they beat the teams on their schedule they were all under 500 they played New England twice that's two of their wins they beat a lot of the same people we did who have they beaten that was good at the time not now I know Denver is getting better now but at the time they played them Denver sucked so tell me who Miami beat that's over 500 when they played them?? I think these are dumb stats because when we played a lot of these teams they were at or over 500 early on in the season but now because they're not now they don't count well it should be the same thing in the opposite direction for teams like Miami who were they when they played them I believe none of them had a winning record...
Prove me wrong....

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It will show a lot more then what we have seen so far..
They’re going to beat the brakes off of the 6-5 Seahawks next week and then we will get another set of threads just like this.

Dallas got annihilated by SF, and should have beaten Philly but did not. Those were their only two shots at an above 0.500 team so far and it just so happened to be against arguably the two best teams in the entire league.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Again when fans get angry about the media hatred towards the boys look no further than that. Yes boys are playing well, but what do we really know now that’s different from the embarrassment in SF.
The only two teams we've played with records above .500 (now) are probably the two best in the NFC. Only four teams have beaten them.

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It certainly relies more on luck than on "riding positive momentum," which isn't a real thing unless by momentum you mean health.
So why not just let the coin flip decide the game nobody gets hurt and everyone goes home

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
no I'm saying you need a little of each you need talent you need some luck you need the referees not to be anti one team or the other yeah it matters in the lock when you talk about not getting injured versus losing some talented players that don't come back for the playoffs yeah.. That's what I'm saying this is the new NFL this is not the old NFL I see teams who don't have momentum and they play just fine going into the playoffs every game is different it's a one off you play one game at a time there isn't five games in one day where you ride momentum from one game to the next this isn't a tournament this is literally one game just like we saw we didn't finish the season well against Washington but we blew the doors off Tampa Bay but then the next week we didn't show up and play well against the better team some of the bad luck was losing Tony Pollard we didn't have Terrence steel there was a play here or there like diggs not catching a shore interception not breaking up a play by an inch yeah that kind of luck I'm not talking about sheer luck like being superstitious I'm talking about all those other things that go into it...
And for just about all those things you state I could equally say if a player makes a break half a step earlier or the reciever made the extra effort then the play is made

CCBoy

Reaction score
This team is no different than any of the "promising" teams in the last quarter of a century. Good against the minnows (even then they are prone to lay the odd stinker - see Cardinals), but the moment the opponent punches back they curl up and give up.
No, dead wrong...they are YOUR team.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why not just let the coin flip decide the game nobody gets hurt and everyone goes home
Huh? I didn't say it's all or even largely random. Talent, scheme and matchups are the most important factors by far. An element of randomness does exist though. "Momentum" is just a made-up term to try and create a narrative after the fact.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It literally is year over year. Nothing new about this year until it is something new. Deep post season run. I’m enjoying the ride and think maybe just maybe things could click but still waiting to see what happens come January.
We were 6-2 against teams over .500 in 2022.

We also had victories over 4 of the 5 NFC playoff participants we faced last year.

I have the same concerns about this Cowboys squad as I have had over past ones, but whether or not we can win against “good” teams isn’t one of them.