Opinion: Dak will Make Over 25M

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Let's assume, hypothetically, that Dak is the 10th best QB in the NFL. What would the 10th highest contract for a QB look like, specifically?
Flacco is 10th at 22m a year
ASmith is 9th at 23m a year

Dak will get a 5/125 extension added to the 2m salary for 2019..... total 6/127 with 65m gtd at signing

Little Jr

Reaction score
Usually very good to elite quarterbacks get top end money. Dak is not that quarterback. If Dak can get 28m then Mahomes should easily get 100 million a year. It's like comparing Rosie O'Donnel to Shakira. Besides that, you can count the teams on one hand that need a starting QB. Two of those teams will take one in the draft, who's left? I agree that last year he would have commanded a bigger contract because there were more teams in the market for starters.
Mahoms could be the first 40m and defiantly will come close to it. The price of elite goes up every year. Ryan with his 30m and Rodgers with his 33m set the new market for elite qbs. At this time there are only 3 that make 28m or more. If mahomes continues on this path and signs a Rodgers type deal after the 2020 season he would get 38.6m. With a work stoppage possible because the cba expiring could hamper that.

At the time Russell Wilson signed his contract he was not considered elite. He has a great defense and a great running game. That contract today with the cap would be 28.6m compared to 21.9m it was in 2015. He would even get more today because he's considered, by some and his numbers , elite.

As far as what he would get in the open market, he's get the 28m easily. 2 teams or 12 teams, he's get 28m. If they called elway today, he'd give us both his qbs and pay him 28m. If he was on the open market he wouldn't have traded for Flacco. Every year the market changes for teams who needs one.

I think people just look at other QBs and what they are making and put Dak in a certain group, and say he deserves that, without looking at when that contract was signed.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Flacco is 10th at 22m a year
ASmith is 9th at 23m a year

Dak will get a 5/125 extension added to the 2m salary for 2019..... total 6/127 with 65m gtd at signing
If you go off those 2 contracts that are 22 and 23m it will be more with the cap today.

LittleD

Reaction score
Well Minnesota just did. Now I agree that the Cowboys can simply move on from Dak. Maybe even trade him. But who is replacing him?

Whomever that may be can't be that much worse and certainly we don't have to invest 150mil in such a person.

LittleD

Reaction score
Brady has Edelman who is perfect for him and considerably better than Beasley.
He has the best scoring TE in history.

Everyone harps on daks inaccuracy.
At literally every depth on the field he is above average in completion percentage.

He makes less % of off target throws than Brady too.
Not fewer total because he throws less, a lower percentage of his passes are off target.

Friend, you must not be watching the same ball games I watched last season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The team should know what they plan on doing with Prescott by now. If they plan on extending him anyway, no matter what, it is cheaper to do it now than later.

I'm not at the fish or cut bait point with Dak. I wouldn't sign him long term yet, but I suspect I probably would if we had had an OC developing him and using him to best effect in the last couple of years. I think he can be significantly more than we've seen in the last two seasons. But I want to see it before a long term contract. I don't want a huge dollar, long term meh QB.

So I temporize for a short term extension to keep Dak from sitting out. Which he *should* do under his current contract. The injury and even performance risk is small for a season, but his current salary is even smaller, relative to money he would be guaranteed with a free agent contract.

817Gill

Reaction score
I mean, Brees didn’t throw more than 20 something TDs until he was an 8 year starter.
I love the guy trying to insinuate Dak a 3 year player should be as good as Brady a 20 year guy. What kinda screwed up benchmark is that lol?

Look at Brady’s first 3 and Dak’s first 3. You’ll like what you see

817Gill

Reaction score
Mahoms could be the first 40m and defiantly will come close to it. The price of elite goes up every year. Ryan with his 30m and Rodgers with his 33m set the new market for elite qbs. At this time there are only 3 that make 28m or more. If mahomes continues on this path and signs a Rodgers type deal after the 2020 season he would get 38.6m. With a work stoppage possible because the cba expiring could hamper that.

At the time Russell Wilson signed his contract he was not considered elite. He has a great defense and a great running game. That contract today with the cap would be 28.6m compared to 21.9m it was in 2015. He would even get more today because he's considered, by some and his numbers , elite.

As far as what he would get in the open market, he's get the 28m easily. 2 teams or 12 teams, he's get 28m. If they called elway today, he'd give us both his qbs and pay him 28m. If he was on the open market he wouldn't have traded for Flacco. Every year the market changes for teams who needs one.

I think people just look at other QBs and what they are making and put Dak in a certain group, and say he deserves that, without looking at when that contract was signed.
Bingo

Bobcat

Reaction score
If the cowboys have their forth winning season in a row with dak next year it's going to cost them 30 a year if they don't pay him now.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
If the cowboys have their forth winning season in a row with dak next year it's going to cost them 30 a year if they don't pay him now.
You mean with Zeke...

Dak with his paltry 22 TDs....13 fumbles and 50 sacks didnt win us much

Mobinvans

Reaction score
I love the guy trying to insinuate Dak a 3 year player should be as good as Brady a 20 year guy. What kinda screwed up benchmark is that lol?

Look at Brady’s first 3 and Dak’s first 3. You’ll like what you see
Should we be expecting 6 Superbowls from All World Dak than ?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Key word in this novel is ELITE, Wilson if not elite he is still better than Dak and is a top 6 QB. This team is off there marbles paying him $28M or more.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Oh the season where a 35 yo TE and a double teamed slot WR were your targets?

Isn’t that the same season the coaches made the most classic JG/SL move and let Chaz Green break the season?

You can’t honestly tell me you expected a 2nd year QB to do it all himself right?

Like you honestly think that another QB woulda taken a team with so little offensive talent and athleticism anywhere past 9-7/10-6?

Also the first half of 2017 the man was a top 7 statistical guy and had 3 straight 3 passing TD games and some 300 yd performances as well.

Btw this is how teams evaluate guys for 2nd contracts. They don’t take blanket stats or 6 game sample sizes to decide whether a guy can play or not. They actually dissect the good and bad to see where the players really stand. If you honestly believe the 2nd half of 2017 was the sole product of Dak then that would be irrational.
Right and it didn’t take six games do grasp Dak is a second tier qb and will always be one.

Flamma

Reaction score

Again, you're lumping Dak in with quarterbacks much better, more talented, or won championships. Those quarterbacks command those dollars, Dak doesn't. At the time of their signings the market was quarterback needy, it isn't now. I would have no problem paying Wilson elite money because I think he's a really good QB and would get that somewhere else. I don't believe Dak would get anywhere close to elite money offers from the 3-4 teams looking for QBs right now. He's maybe good enough to be Seattle's backup. And they don't get paid 28M a year.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Let's really think about this, when does Dak has his best games? When Zeke the beast is going off. Try marinating on this, when has Zeke not had a good game and we depended on Dak to win it for us. If it takes you a long time to try to figure out then that is your answer, outside of the gnats game and Zeke set it out with the PO the next week.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Reality is going to hit some of you like a truck and you’re gonna be blowing up this forum with “We overpayed Dak” threads. Just accept it now and make it easier on yourselves, sheesh.
Nothing the Cowboys front office can do to surprise me. We have been living without a SB for 24 years so whats another 10 or 15 more years.