Opinion: Dak will not play out his rookie contract; will get some sort of extension

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
True but a lot of his massive failures he overpaid as well.

He is worth over $5B and has 3 SB rings. How many times did Babe Ruth strike out? How many home runs did he hit? People tend to count and remember the positives.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As Jerry said after the Cooper trade, a lot of his great successful deals he overpaid. So what if Dak is overpaid. If he is successful at Qb, it will not matter. The cap is not a big deal any more. Cowboys have plenty of cap to sign the players they want to sign.

No they don't.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Two of the highest profile jobs in America, if not the world, behind being the President of the United States. Is the HC and the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

I would bet more people can name Garrett and Prescott over the Vice President.
And throw Jerry in that mix as well, since he puts himself in front of the cameras more so did Murchinson or Bright.

It's almost the same. You can do 9/11 and not lose your job. You can help make Dallas a laughing stock and still keep your job.

You can never be good at your job and still keep it. :)

tm1119

Reaction score
just so you know if Dak sits out next year on hold out he doesn't get a accrued season toward free agency so he would still be in the same boat with the 4th year of his contract still in force if he decides he want to play again. You don't seem to understand how it works with the union agreement, Dak has the right to hold out, but if I'm Jerry I want to see as much more of Dak before I pay him anything more as I can.

Ok so he comes back week 10...you’re acting like a player has 0 choice. There are a lot of work arounds. Just wait until Le’Veon gets paid a ton of $ from someone other than the steelers

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's an interesting question. I mean, on the one hand, if Dak walks away then that's incentive for the team to look for another QB in the draft. I don't think that his agent would consider this in his best interests.

But the real question, in my mind is, what do other teams see in Dak? Do they see a young QB who can't throw or do they see a young QB who takes care of the ball and who can be effective in the right offense? Honestly, I don't think we know the answer to that.

I don't think it's true that Dak will not play out his contract. I don't see any advantage to that line of thought for Dak. It doesn't help him in future negotiatitions, should he become an FA. It doesn't help him with the Cowboys, it doesn't serve him in his time towards retirement and it certainly doesn't help him in his development. I don't see him holding out.

JMO

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Miami, Buffalo possibly more, will all be looking for starting QB's soon. Might not get him back.
Buffalo already has their QB and we'll just match what else someone else offers him and still save money

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'll be amazed if his AAV is closer to 20 than 25mil per.

20 is cheap now.

Feel like any deal hovers closer to 25mil per.

This is my thinking since the only leverage the Cowboys have to keep him off the market is the franchise tag and guess what that will be 2020. It's $23M right now and you to figure 2019 probably will be in the range of $25-26M. Guess where that leaves 2020... probably $27-28M. This IMO is why they're trying to get him signed immediately ........next year you probably sign him for $23M average but 2020 could cost $26-28M.

irishline

Reaction score
He is worth over $5B and has 3 SB rings. How many times did Babe Ruth strike out? How many home runs did he hit? People tend to count and remember the positives.

Oh I agree with you, I am just stating that just because he said he overpaid on most of his successes does not guarantee the next one will be a success.

And judging by his history of football decisions these last 20+ years there should be evidence in that arena to give him pause. And can we please remember that those 3 superbowls were a lifetime ago for a 25 year old and countless football decision failures in between?

Babe ruth hit World Series home runs in all 3 decades he played, we haven't even smelled an NFL championship game in 25. I will take the strikeouts if we occasionally get to the big dance.

a2zb82.jpg

I am tired of being this way as a Cowboy fan. Aren't you? I am guessing not since 25+ year old superbowl wins are still brought up. (apologies if I am wrong).

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah, they do have the cap space to sign the players they want.

I'd like to see the numbers on that. Keep in mind, we are talking Dak, Zeke, Cooper and DLaw, just to name a few. Collins and Jones are all coming up next year. This does not include Irving or Lee. They have cap but do they have enough to keep everybody? I don't know that to be a fact.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dak WILL NOT play out his rookie contract. He WILL get some sort of extension.

Had to get this off my chest because I keep seeing people post about how Dak has 1 year left on his deal. Unless both Dak and his Agent suddenly get brain damage there is 0% chance he plays on a 1 year $840K contract. To me this is just common sense and needs to be put out there so we can discuss the cap and future plans with reason.
I have always understood he was being extended.

Jerry has said this early on.

We are not drafting or signing a QB.

stiletto

Reaction score
Say what you want about Dak but he is grossly underpaid. 19 Backups make more than him and he is our clear starter. He should absolutely get some kind of a bump in pay. Of course not Aaron Rodgers money but he should be making more than he is.

tm1119

Reaction score
It's an interesting question. I mean, on the one hand, if Dak walks away then that's incentive for the team to look for another QB in the draft. I don't think that his agent would consider this in his best interests.

But the real question, in my mind is, what do other teams see in Dak? Do they see a young QB who can't throw or do they see a young QB who takes care of the ball and who can be effective in the right offense? Honestly, I don't think we know the answer to that.

I don't think it's true that Dak will not play out his contract. I don't see any advantage to that line of thought for Dak. It doesn't help him in future negotiatitions, should he become an FA. It doesn't help him with the Cowboys, it doesn't serve him in his time towards retirement and it certainly doesn't help him in his development. I don't see him holding out.

JMO

All makes sense...IF football wasn’t a very dangerous sport that could end his career in the blink of an eye. For him to not get financial security for his future would be craziness on his part. 1 hit and he’s the poor kid from UCF.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

All makes sense...IF football wasn’t a very dangerous sport that could end his career in the blink of an eye. For him to not get financial security for his future would be craziness on his part. 1 hit and he’s the poor kid from UCF.

Lets say he sits. What do you see as leverage for him if he does not play? Will he be better prepared to avoid or sustain injury if he sits out a year?